Mixing Different Brand Cards for CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I have a Friend who wants to sell his Sapphire 6870 , I have a HIS 6870. Both cards are 1GB at stock clocks.

Please give your Ideas on how Ideal it is for me to buy it and go CF with it.(If its even possible)

PSU - CM GX 650
CPU - Phenom II 1055t @ 3.7
MSI 890 GX-GM65
8 GB Vengeance

Thanks.

Solution
cooler master is generally considered a poor maker of PSUs. however, you lucked out and got one of the better models. however, at high loads, your 12V rail will dip down to 11.4V as the review stated. which is why I wouldn't OC your cards. you would overload your PSU, and risk either your PSU's safety tripping and forcing a hard shut-down, or it may blow

here's the review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/8.html

I meant fine as in no bottleneck for running a 6870 on x8

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012
What about my PSU thats good enough to Hand Dual 6870's? Also It has just 2x6Pin PCIe connectors? Il have to use the Converters..Assuming thats no a problem too.

Also the 6870x2 Kicks ass, Will the 6870's in CF be equivalent ?

PCIex8 is fine for 6870 in crossfire...

your PSU is a bit on the low end... converters are not a problem. I wouldn't OC your cards, corsair's pretty good about their safeties, so if your PSU gets overloaded, you'll know because it'll shut down. Ideally you would want something like a 700 or 750W for crossfire 6870s

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Its a Coolermaster 650W. I recently put that in so Don't wanna , rather cant afford to buy another PSU. :p. Don't have alot of Drives. Just 1 HDD.So hopefully 650 will suffice.

About the 2nd slot being 8x. Sorry but could you explain a lil bit on why,since u mentioned 6870 it will be fine.Fine as in no bottleneck ,or Fine as in nominal bottleneck?

Thanks for all the replies.

cooler master is generally considered a poor maker of PSUs. however, you lucked out and got one of the better models. however, at high loads, your 12V rail will dip down to 11.4V as the review stated. which is why I wouldn't OC your cards. you would overload your PSU, and risk either your PSU's safety tripping and forcing a hard shut-down, or it may blow

here's the review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/8.html

I meant fine as in no bottleneck for running a 6870 on x8

Solution
that's fine as a CPU overclock... the 6870 are great performers, ideally you'd want to keep that overclock unless you're experiencing temperature issues... reducing it to 3.5/6 won't make a huge difference... then again, it won't make a temp difference either unless you reduce voltages as well

Status
Not open for further replies.