New Yahoo messenger and voice chat

damon

Can anyone tell me if the new yahoo messenger 7 with PC to PC phoning
using microphone and speaker will work in the background while WOWing?

As this would be perfect for me if it does as I mainly play with a mate
in the US (I am in the UK) and the phone is A expensive and B too
quiet.

Or if anyone else uses a free voice chat solution, i would be glad to
hear it.

Thanks

Damon

damon

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Ventrilo and Teamspeak require servers, but they are both the standard
> means of in-game communication and many players can be on at the same
> time (great for raids). Another option would be a SIP phone call, or
> even Skype I assume. Go check them all on google!
>
> Stavros

How do you mean require servers? Your own server to host?

SIP, is that a VOIP service like Skype?

So many many questions.

Thanks

Damon

damon

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
>You can easily find free SIP clients, but Skype should work
> just as well (unless you have an older box where Skype is a resource hog).

I will look into SIP then, You know how it is, I want something
straight forward as I have to guide a friend who is thousands of miles
away as well as talk him into sorting his end out.

No old boxes for us, he bought a new super duper Alienware gaming
machine and I built a Athlon64 based one with a Abit Fatal1ty board
which I muchly like and would recommend; I can game and run things in
the background, torrents etc it's good to be able to flick from WOW to
a browser with a strategy guide and back in a second each way unlike my
XP3200 machine which gave me a black screen for a while. Mind you the
PCI-E Video card probably takes a lot of that strain.

Thanks again Stavros

Damon

Stavros Christoforou wrote:

> > So many many questions.
> >

> There is an answer for everything, usually it is 42 ;)

Wait, what about the divine ratio? I thought that was the answer to
everything.

Thanks for the VOIP answers :)

Damon wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the new yahoo messenger 7 with PC to PC phoning
> using microphone and speaker will work in the background while WOWing?
>
> As this would be perfect for me if it does as I mainly play with a mate
> in the US (I am in the UK) and the phone is A expensive and B too
> quiet.
>
> Or if anyone else uses a free voice chat solution, i would be glad to
> hear it.

Since I play with friends on Mac, we use Skype as it's on both
platforms. Works well, can do conference calls. Voice chat makes SUCH
a difference in grouping!

Lisa

Damon wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the new yahoo messenger 7 with PC to PC phoning
> using microphone and speaker will work in the background while WOWing?
>
> As this would be perfect for me if it does as I mainly play with a mate
> in the US (I am in the UK) and the phone is A expensive and B too
> quiet.
>
> Or if anyone else uses a free voice chat solution, i would be glad to
> hear it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Damon

Ventrilo and Teamspeak require servers, but they are both the standard
means of in-game communication and many players can be on at the same
time (great for raids). Another option would be a SIP phone call, or
even Skype I assume. Go check them all on google!

Stavros

> Stavros Christoforou wrote:
>> Ventrilo and Teamspeak require servers, but they are both the
>> standard means of in-game communication and many players can be on
>> at the same time (great for raids). Another option would be a SIP
>> phone call, or even Skype I assume. Go check them all on google!
>>
>> Stavros
>
> How do you mean require servers? Your own server to host?
>
> SIP, is that a VOIP service like Skype?
>
> So many many questions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Damon

Teamspeak has a public server list that you are free to join...

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138

Damon wrote:
> Stavros Christoforou wrote:
>
>>Ventrilo and Teamspeak require servers, but they are both the standard
>>means of in-game communication and many players can be on at the same
>>time (great for raids). Another option would be a SIP phone call, or
>>even Skype I assume. Go check them all on google!
>>
>>Stavros
>

> How do you mean require servers? Your own server to host?

Yes, you can host your own server on a box, or you can join free or
per-pay servers. If you are in a guild, your guild should most likely
have a server one way or another.

> SIP, is that a VOIP service like Skype?

Yes. It is the original, open source and free implementation of
Voice/VideoOIP, and means Session Initiation Protocol. Skype is a
proprietary protocol for VOIP which I believe is inferior technincally
to SIP but so nicely packaged and so "plug and play" that it has become
very famous. You can easily find free SIP clients, but Skype should work

"Damon" <google@dshawcross.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if the new yahoo messenger 7 with PC to PC phoning
> using microphone and speaker will work in the background while WOWing?
>
> As this would be perfect for me if it does as I mainly play with a mate
> in the US (I am in the UK) and the phone is A expensive and B too
> quiet.
>
> Or if anyone else uses a free voice chat solution, i would be glad to
> hear it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Damon

Works fine. Used to use this, switched to Skype because the audio is just
much better. The only thing I do not like about skype is you can't mute a
single party in a conference. My wife and I play in the same room and
conference friends in, I can hear her twice (though it is pretty close to
the same time) and she hears me twice. Yahoo let us do that, but the audio
left something to be desired when we got 5 or 6 people on the session.

"Stavros Christoforou" <stgreek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Damon wrote:
>> Stavros Christoforou wrote:
>>
>>>Ventrilo and Teamspeak require servers, but they are both the standard
>>>means of in-game communication and many players can be on at the same
>>>time (great for raids). Another option would be a SIP phone call, or
>>>even Skype I assume. Go check them all on google!
>>>
>>>Stavros
>>

>> How do you mean require servers? Your own server to host?
>>
> Yes, you can host your own server on a box, or you can join free or
> per-pay servers. If you are in a guild, your guild should most likely have
> a server one way or another.
>
>> SIP, is that a VOIP service like Skype?
>>
> Yes. It is the original, open source and free implementation of
> Voice/VideoOIP, and means Session Initiation Protocol. Skype is a
> proprietary protocol for VOIP which I believe is inferior technincally to
> SIP but so nicely packaged and so "plug and play" that it has become very
> famous. You can easily find free SIP clients, but Skype should work just
> as well (unless you have an older box where Skype is a resource hog).
>
>> So many many questions.
>>

> There is an answer for everything, usually it is 42 ;)
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Damon

Teamspeak is great you get the server exe run it on your pc then play the
game I often serve the ts and play games at the same time usually with 7+
people on it and in wow it works fine and q3 it works fine.

collection2002 wrote:
> Stavros Christoforou wrote:
>

>>>So many many questions.
>>>

>>There is an answer for everything, usually it is 42 ;)
>>

> Wait, what about the divine ratio? I thought that was the answer to
> everything.
>
> Thanks for the VOIP answers :)

That ain't the answer to everything, it just makes everything look nicer ;)

Stinger

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

TS is a good program. and its free... my whole guild uses it...
gives you the optioin to press any button on your keybaord that u want and
that opens the mic up 2 u... works in the background..
7 out of 10 stars