Vista with ungenuine Win 7 install: No Internet

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hello,
My daughter won't listen to me. Her laptop came with Vista, she downloaded an unregistered version of Win 7 Ultimate. She can connect to Wi-Fi Linksys router, but cannot access Internet. Tried all kinds of things (adapter, Belkin external adapter, winsock, dnsflush, etc, etc.) Can this be fixed so she can access Inet?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Can you get to the router's administration page? Address is 192.168.0.1 for Linksys routers, I think.

If she can, try "ping google.com" from the command prompt, minus the quotes.

Also, has the computer hit the end of the 30 day activation timer? When that happens, it locks you out of many features, including the internet.

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I agree. My daughter won't listen to me. She dissed me and said things I don't want to say here. Thanks.

Feel for you, but it looks like its locked itself down, also the pirated version may have all sorts of other easter eggs buried inside it, so getting rid is best choice.

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

I agree. She's 18 and knows everything. I told her to go back to Vista. She dissed me. Oh... being a parent these days... almost as bad as being a teenager!!!

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

That's exactly what I told her, but she's 18 and knows better than 58 yr. old dad!!!!!

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

My bad. I'm in IT, so I told her what she had to do. Will she listen??? She's 18, and hurts her parents alot, but that's another story...... Thanks

mjcaputo_09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks everyone who responded. As an IT tech, I told my daughter to revert back to Vista, or we need to purchase Win 7 Student edition. She kicked me out of her room... Said I broke her Laptop! God help us all!
Mark

When she loose all of her paper work, or bank account hacked into, or even worse, web cam accessible over the internet by some sick pervert, she will learn. Actually, the web cam accessible via internet, tell her that or show her what I wrote!

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Sounds like the opposite of how things were when I was 18. I was the only person in the family who had any degree of computer literacy, and I was constantly fixing things after my mother broke them.

She installed Comet Cursor THREE TIMES.

lol, I have not thought about Comet Cursor in years!!!