Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Liquid cooler 120mm, case fans 140mm

Last response: in Components
January 4, 2013 8:55:12 PM

Hello, I recently bought a Cooler Master HAF X case (it's a beauty) and a Corsair H70 liquid cooler. I'm transferring my mobo and etc from my old case in this weekend, but I just realized something:

The fan on the back nearest the mobo is 140mm. The liquid cooler rad is 120mm. Am I in trouble, or is there a way I can mount it to the 140mm fan?

Secondly, I've never installed a liquid cooler before. As far as I can tell, the rad needs to be sandwiched between two fans which are both blowing outward from the case. Could you confirm this for me?

Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate it (and first time poster). I'll seek to help elsewhere I can in the forums.

-L

Best solution

January 4, 2013 9:38:29 PM

If you look at the pictures here then you can see that the fan mount on the back is drilled for both 140mm and 120mm so you are not in trouble. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You only need a single fan for the radiator, having the second one just gives you that last degree.
January 4, 2013 9:42:53 PM

Best answer selected by lukereimer.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 9:43:20 PM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the quick response.
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:42:48 AM

and corsair recommend the fans are blowing inward

so cooler air is blowing through the radiator

though i have tried my h80 both ways and theres only a few degrees difference any way for me

depends if you have good exhaust out of the top of the case
m
l
!