Cant set up my NETGEAR Wireless-N Access Point

slomb0485

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello,

Could someone give me step by step instructions for setting up my NETGEAR Wireless-N Access Point. I am a novice, sales person told me it was plug and play... no freaking way!! the instructions that come with it will make your head spin then fly off your head in frustration!

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm assuming you're connecting it to an existing modem?
If so, you need to make sure that they aren't using the same IP address.

1) Plug your computer directly into the modem, once connected press Start -> Run

2) Type ipconfig and press enter. You're looking for Default Gateway

Example:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.61
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.1

Make a note of the Default Gateway for your modem

3) Now plug your computer directly into the Netgear Access Point

4) In the command prompt window, type ipconfig again

5) Open up your web browser and in the address bar type the IP that was listed as the default gateway for the Netgear AP

6) By default the username and password should just be admin and password

7) On the Basic Settings page, change the first three numbers of the IP address field to match the Default Gateway of the modem, then insert a number from 2 to 254 in the last field.

For example: If the gateway for the modem is 192.168.111.1, set the IP of the Netgear Access Point to 192.168.111.2

8) Set the Default Gateway to the default gateway of the modem (from the example above it would be 192.168.111.1) and the DNS server to be the same.

9) Click Apply

You'd now want to change the password for the wireless. To do this, assuming the options are the same on your Netgear AP, click on WEP/WPA Settings.

10) Choose the security type you want (I'd recommend WPA2-PSK [AES])

11) You should now be able to enter a password in a box below. It should be more than 8 letters long. If you want to make it super secure, use a longer (but easy to remember/type!) password. For example: OurNetworkIsAwesom3

12) Click Apply

Unplug the cable from your computer (leave it connected to the Netgear AP) and plug it in to the modem.
Now see if you can connect to the wireless using the password you set.

If all has gone well you should be able to access the net! :)