complete backup?

hello,
my friend has a new compaq PC .. when he got a worm he simply went to the
programs list , clicked a program and Violla.. his disktop was restored to
its original configuration .. but of course he lost everything that was
downloaded .. this would be great because it only took about 20 mins to
complete wheras to re-install XP and all the programs i have takes all day
... my question then is. how can i set up a system like his on my HDD so i
can do a reinstall if i have a bad virus?
Joe

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: System Restore , and hit enter.
3. Click on the article titled: "System Restore Overview".

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

3 Steps to Help Insure your PC is Protected
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windows2000/firewall.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Joe M" wrote:

| hello,
| my friend has a new compaq PC .. when he got a worm he simply went to the
| programs list , clicked a program and Violla.. his disktop was restored to
| its original configuration .. but of course he lost everything that was
| downloaded .. this would be great because it only took about 20 mins to
| complete wheras to re-install XP and all the programs i have takes all day
| .. my question then is. how can i set up a system like his on my HDD so i
| can do a reinstall if i have a bad virus?
| Joe

Accessing System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_access.mspx

System Restore overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_overview.mspx

To create a Restore Point
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_create.mspx

To select a restore point
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_select.mspx

Understanding System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_understand.mspx

Using the System Restore Wizard
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_usingsr.mspx

How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OO9atPodFHA.1684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Joe M <artmoore@nbnet.nb.ca> hunted and pecked:

Joe M wrote:
> hello,
> my friend has a new compaq PC .. when he got a worm he simply went to
> the programs list , clicked a program and Violla.. his disktop was
> restored to its original configuration .. but of course he lost
> everything that was downloaded .. this would be great because it only
> took about 20 mins to complete wheras to re-install XP and all the
> programs i have takes all day .. my question then is. how can i set
> up a system like his on my HDD so i can do a reinstall if i have a
> bad virus? Joe

Use a disk cloning application, if you - like your friend - don't mind
losing everything you have done since you made the image.
Use common sense(and proper computer maintenance) and it won't happen to you
anyway - and if you backup your important files, documents, spreadsheets,
pictures, email and contacts, etc anyway - you could care less either way.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi Joe,

It would be helpful if you could find out exactly what utility your
friend used to restore his system.

System Restore should not have deleted his downloads. And it will not
restore a system to it's original configuration.

Also, System Restore was not designed to be a virus removal tool, and
should not be relied on to do so.

The focus in this situation should be on virus/malware infection
prevention. This will result in less wasted time and money. Not to
mention lost data. Here is a combination of utilities that I have
found to work very well in the removal and prevention of virus
infection, spyware, parasites, malware and the like.
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User