Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$2,000 Build, don't know what parts to go for.

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 21, 2012 7:44:05 AM

I am pleased to say that I will be building my new computer in early october. I will be spending roughly $2,000.

Why make a thread a month early? Because I want to prepare, and two grand is a lot of money to me, so I want to make sure I get what I need or have a general idea of what to go for.

1) First question, most important -- is there any new technology coming out within a month or so from now? Technology that will have me rethink my entire build (ie new mobo chipset)?

2) LGA 2011 socket? Difference between 2011 and 1155? I was thinking of getting the i7-3930K.

3) What are the most important parts of the computer in your opinion to spend on (ie should I focus most of my money on the processor and the monitor, or should I get a decent monitor and get a 120hz one later, etc)

4) I'm thinking of rolling with the GeForce GTX 670, then instead of Sling or getting a 680, I'll get a 690 when I have the money IF i even need it. 670 should be enough to max out games and get a solid FPS rating right? It's only 5% slower than the 680 after all.

More information (if you need it)

Spoiler
Most important to least:
-Gaming (top priority by far)
-Video editing
-Coding in c++ / learning code and coding
-Making music/ playing the electric keyboard
-Server hosting (like minecraft, wont be doing a whole lot of this, might not even do any)

-I'm a nVIDEA and intel guy

-Parts I do not need: Case (HAF 912), Keyboard, mouse and mousepad.

-Will be purchasing at an ncix store in canada and picking it up there.



(I have figured what parts I'm going for in another thread(s))

More about : 000 build parts

August 21, 2012 8:16:46 AM

Well, if your not going to do serious editing or anything that 6 cores/12 threads will TRULY utilize than i wouldn't spend 600$ on a 3930K. Put that money towards other stuff. of course, this is just what im assuming
Off the top of my head, ill just list down what i got-
Core i7 3770-get a "K" if you want to overclock
Noctua NH-D14/coolermaster hyper 212 EVO depending on what you want out of your processor
GTX 670/7970, depending on what you prefer (670 is cheaper)
AsRock Z77 extreme4
128/256 GB SSD-whatever you feel would suit your needs
2TB-4TB hard drive, depending on what you need
Whatever case matches your eye
Whatever DVD burner you want(do you need BluRay?)
Think thats about it....

You will probably wont go over 2000$ with this, but you dont NEED to spend it all, do you?
As to your question on any major things to warch out for, the only thing i can think of is AMD trinity desktop, but thats more bugdet, dont worry about it.
August 21, 2012 8:20:39 AM

Also, as for PSU, i got a corsair HX 650, but get a bigger one if you think you need it. The PSU is not something to skimp on-if it fails it could take down your entire computer
Related resources
August 22, 2012 6:04:53 AM

TheBigTroll said:
id suggest a case upgrade but things will still fit fine in a 912

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdPd


I forgot what is the point of a full tower case? isn't it for sling or something?

Also your build has an i5, I need an i7 and your build doesn't include a monitor.

What are some good mobo's for the 3930k i7 if I decide to go with that?

Sidenote; I've decided I'm going to be buying everything at ncix.ca and picking it up there since I live near one.
August 22, 2012 6:05:23 AM

PANZER4 said:
Well, if your not going to do serious editing or anything that 6 cores/12 threads will TRULY utilize than i wouldn't spend 600$ on a 3930K. Put that money towards other stuff. of course, this is just what im assuming
Off the top of my head, ill just list down what i got-
Core i7 3770-get a "K" if you want to overclock
Noctua NH-D14/coolermaster hyper 212 EVO depending on what you want out of your processor
GTX 670/7970, depending on what you prefer (670 is cheaper)
AsRock Z77 extreme4
128/256 GB SSD-whatever you feel would suit your needs
2TB-4TB hard drive, depending on what you need
Whatever case matches your eye
Whatever DVD burner you want(do you need BluRay?)
Think thats about it....

You will probably wont go over 2000$ with this, but you dont NEED to spend it all, do you?
As to your question on any major things to warch out for, the only thing i can think of is AMD trinity desktop, but thats more bugdet, dont worry about it.


Well, I'd prefer not to spend the two grand since theres 12% sales tax I'll be spending 300 dollars worth in taxes so it will end up 2.3 grand (I'm fine spending that much tho).

I'm really interested in the 3930k, I have to get an i7 anyways since I'll need the threading, but the 3930k has two extra cores which sounds really nice, would improve performance in gaming.
August 22, 2012 12:14:37 PM

you should have told me you were canadian without the spoiler or else i could make things much easier

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/fkhb

if you are not do to SLI, id suggest a different and cheaper PSU

i dont see the point of a 3930k unless you do a ton of video editing and the fact that a i7 3770k is not too much behind the 3930k in performance anyway. its probably not worth investing on a platform that costs 300 more dollars when you can get near the same performance with a cheaper platform

ps. its 13%

heres a comparison with the 3930k and the 3770k
August 22, 2012 12:16:01 PM

the case i chose is not a full tower. its a regular mid tower. you could go to one of the warehouses or showrooms and check the case out. the other case id recommend is the fractal define r4 but ncix doesnt have them in stock
August 25, 2012 3:21:18 AM

I'm going to buy everything at once just in case something is DoA I can just go to ncix and replace it, so I'm not going to be getting that PSU right away. Plus I've been told MIR is a pain to deal with. Also HST is 12%, and then you have to pay for the other fees like environmental fee or whatever.

Why would I need an SSD what's the point? Is it really that useful? I was thinking I would install windows 7 on the ssd for a super fast boot up etc but I'm not sure.

I will be going with the 3930k IF I can afford it.

I'm also thinking of getting the best monitor in the market, it's a BenQ and it's 120hz and it's amazing. It's like $400 however.
August 25, 2012 1:39:02 PM

no. HST is 13%. environmental fees depend on the product, i got charged 10 cents for my dvd drive

MIR is pretty easy. just follow the instructions, mail it to some place in the US (they have the address), and in a month or 2, you get a american express gift card

the SSD is really useful. it makes EVERYTHING feel faster.

i dont see the point of paying 200 more dollars for a small gain in performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551

if you are gaming, id then think about a 120hz monitor. otherwise, its a waste. i rather trade speed and response time for image quality (IPS panels are much better).

September 8, 2012 6:44:00 AM

TheBigTroll said:
no. HST is 13%. environmental fees depend on the product, i got charged 10 cents for my dvd drive

MIR is pretty easy. just follow the instructions, mail it to some place in the US (they have the address), and in a month or 2, you get a american express gift card

the SSD is really useful. it makes EVERYTHING feel faster.

i dont see the point of paying 200 more dollars for a small gain in performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=551

if you are gaming, id then think about a 120hz monitor. otherwise, its a waste. i rather trade speed and response time for image quality (IPS panels are much better).


Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an SSD and put my OS on it and some games. Or could I buy a small SSD, just put my OS on that and another SSD to use solely for games etc? Or would it be better to just buy one big one. I don't know, tell me what you think.

Uhmm is that benchmark reliable? How on earth does the i7 3770K out perform the i7 3930K in some games like Crysis? The thing has 2 more cores and 4 more threads; 2 MORE CORES, wouldn't that make it 33% faster? I'm really scratching my head looking at these benchmarks, they don't make any sense.

Yes, this is primarily a gaming build. I found this 3D BenQ monitor, 3D sounds really nice, check it out tell em what you think I might get this one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

TheBigTroll said:
heres the thing about sales tax
http://www.ratesupermarket.ca/learn/mortgage/how-much-i...

i know its 13% given when i buy a coke from mcdonalds (dollar drink days :D ), they charge me 1.13 and not 1.12


I don't live in Ontartio I live in BC right beside 'merica. I'm pretty 99.9% sure it's 12% here.
September 8, 2012 6:55:54 AM

thetechnoobguy said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an SSD and put my OS on it and some games. Or could I buy a small SSD, just put my OS on that and another SSD to use solely for games etc? Or would it be better to just buy one big one. I don't know, tell me what you think.

Uhmm is that benchmark reliable? How on earth does the i7 3770K out perform the i7 3930K in some games like Crysis?

Because the extra 2 cores are being wasted and not utilized. No game will be using 6 cores for a while.
September 8, 2012 10:01:27 AM

You should go with the 2011 socket if you don't like your new Z77 socket 1155 system (Ivy Bridge) to be outdated in 6 months since that Z77 socket 1155 will be replaced by a new chipset (Z87 or whatever Intel decides to call) to support Haswell architecture for socket 1150 and this will happen in March-April of next year.
September 8, 2012 7:40:50 PM

Just because Z77 is being replaced next year doesn't mean it is a bad option right now.
September 10, 2012 9:49:13 AM

jacknhut said:
You should go with the 2011 socket if you don't like your new Z77 socket 1155 system (Ivy Bridge) to be outdated in 6 months since that Z77 socket 1155 will be replaced by a new chipset (Z87 or whatever Intel decides to call) to support Haswell architecture for socket 1150 and this will happen in March-April of next year.


Wait, if they're coming out with a 1150 socket, how would it benefit me if I'm using the 2011 socket? Why not just go with the Z77 socket then?

Also, when do you think gaming will start using 6 cores? If gaming doesn't use the six cores then what does?

Best solution

September 10, 2012 1:40:56 PM
Share

I purchased the 3930k primarily for video editing. Rendering video is one of the few applications which actually use all six cores (mine run at around 70-90% each when rendering).

Unless you are a 3D designer or video editor who is actually getting paid (or just don't have a budget), the 3930k is pretty pointless. I'm starting out, have a few paid gigs lined up, and even then I sometimes think the extra $300 could have been put to better use.

In your case I would absolutely recommend you spend the extra money on a good monitor, psu, case, keyboard and mouse. These are things that you will keep long after you have upgraded to whatever CPU + motherboard combo is out in 2-3 years time.
September 10, 2012 3:11:00 PM

well if you really wanted to get a 3930k I won't stop you, but for me it looks sweet on my taste ^_^, as I hate seeing my pc going over to 50% usage on most stuff I do unless it's about my work which makes me use my processor in a pretty heavy way.

I do suggest a i7 3770k and a gtx670 from msi
September 10, 2012 4:31:46 PM

rallymcwilliams said:
I purchased the 3930k primarily for video editing. Rendering video is one of the few applications which actually use all six cores (mine run at around 70-90% each when rendering).

Unless you are a 3D designer or video editor who is actually getting paid (or just don't have a budget), the 3930k is pretty pointless. I'm starting out, have a few paid gigs lined up, and even then I sometimes think the extra $300 could have been put to better use.

In your case I would absolutely recommend you spend the extra money on a good monitor, psu, case, keyboard and mouse. These are things that you will keep long after you have upgraded to whatever CPU + motherboard combo is out in 2-3 years time.


This is solid advice thank you very much. I've decided not to go with the 3930K now. I mean, video editing and all that other stuff is something I will try, and most likely get into, but if it comes to where I'm getting paid and taking it as a profession, that's when I will invest in it. Or when games start to use the 6 cores. You're right, $300 is a lot of money. I already have a really nice gaming ekyboard/mouse/mousepad, that $300 could be used towards Windows 7 Retail since its like $220.
September 16, 2012 10:17:18 AM

Best answer selected by thetechnoobguy.
!