Sign in with
Your question

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2012 2:30:35 PM

So after playing BF3 for about 30mins I get this error everytime. Sometimes it freezes my game and when I hit OK it closes it or it'll put it into windowed mode and if I ignore it I can keep playing. Either way with my specs I don't understand how I can be getting this error. I did notice that my memory consumption hits just under 7gb while playing BF3. Am I running low on desktop memory, even though the error says its my GPU?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/706/77024538.png

Specs:
IB i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Evga GTX 670 FTW
Corsair H100
Corsair Dominator GT 8gb (2 x 4gb) @ 1866
SanDisk Extreme 240gb SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB

Thanks in advance, this has really been bugging me.

More about : idea error

a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 2:57:17 PM

Seems like your GPU is running out of memory. Try lowering MSAA/FXAA/anti-aliasing or whatever BF3 has. Also, what resolution do you play at?
July 2, 2012 3:10:24 PM

Aright I'll give that a shot. I play at 1920x1080
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:25:40 PM

1080p is said to really stress GPUs in BF3. 1 gig is not enough, 2 gigs are recommended, but may still need more.
July 2, 2012 4:02:41 PM

auntarie said:
1080p is said to really stress GPUs in BF3. 1 gig is not enough, 2 gigs are recommended, but may still need more.

The card has 2gb on it.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:06:00 PM

hey are you using windows 7 32bit?
i had the same problem when i used it on high and ultra settings
July 2, 2012 4:27:00 PM

Nope 64bit, had to do 64 to use all 8gb of ram
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:40:28 PM

he has a 670. Not even my 670 runs out of vram.... i think its a driver issue. But could been he hit a spot that shot up his vram usage. There are parts of the map that just is rediculous because of so many console ported textures..... Add me on battlelog and ill come play with you a round to get some hands on help.

Battlelog name is same as on here.
July 2, 2012 4:50:47 PM

I'll reinstall direct x and see if that helps. I installed the beta drivers and BF3 wouldn't even load, just sat at a black screen.
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:53:37 PM

Do you have your browser open and a lot of tabs? You'd be amazed at how much video memory your browser will steal. Close your browser when you are gaming. Also, Aero steals a bit of video memory, I have a script to turn it on and off before I game. Other apps opened in the background can also steal a lot of memory.
July 2, 2012 5:02:31 PM

I use to play with Pandora open in Chrome while playing til I got this error then I stopped. I do have my TV hooked up to it as a second monitor. I could do all this with my 570 so I didn't think I needed to change my setup after upgrading my card. Chrome seems to use a lot of memory so I'll start using IE and see if that helps any.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 5:17:30 PM

Nvidia released some drivers a few months back that were specially optimised for BF3. They might be a bit old, but still worth a shot. That is, if nothing else helps.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 7:13:25 PM

Yea but they may not support his 670.....
a c 290 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 7:24:05 PM

Reinstall the game, one or more of its files must be corrupted. There's no way BF3 would use enough RAM that 7 GB would get used up total. That would be at least 5 GB is being used up by BF3. It's unrealistic.
July 2, 2012 7:32:27 PM

Sunius said:
Reinstall the game, one or more of its files must be corrupted. There's no way BF3 would use enough RAM that 7 GB would get used up total. That would be at least 5 GB is being used up by BF3. It's unrealistic.

Those were my thoughts exactly but it keeps happening time and time again. Seems to be happening more frequently when I'm playing any of the Close Quarters maps. I'll reinstall tonight and let you guys know if that worked.
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 9:03:18 PM

mpompino said:
I use to play with Pandora open in Chrome while playing til I got this error then I stopped. I do have my TV hooked up to it as a second monitor. I could do all this with my 570 so I didn't think I needed to change my setup after upgrading my card. Chrome seems to use a lot of memory so I'll start using IE and see if that helps any.

Rather than switching browsers, just don't have the browser open, Pandora too. Assuming you still have it open, just close it and see if it happens again.
July 2, 2012 9:13:03 PM

Well unfortunately with bf3 I have to have a browser open. But I have tried it without any extra ones open and still no change.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 9:54:29 PM

I know this sounds a tad unrelated but do have your page file disabled or very limited?

I'm guessing you have the page file set to 4GB? If its not set the try out the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives".
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 10:36:13 PM

mpompino said:
Well unfortunately with bf3 I have to have a browser open. But I have tried it without any extra ones open and still no change.

Why would you "have" to have a browser open?
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 10:39:32 PM

bystander said:
Why would you "have" to have a browser open?

BF3's game launcher is browser based so its a requirement.
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 10:48:28 PM

No wonder BF3 has such high video memory requirements. Once the game is open, does it automatically close, or can you close it with an alt-tab?
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 10:54:06 PM

No it launches the game and stays up in the background. No you cant close it either or you will be disconnected in multiplayer (haven't tried in single player). Yes using a browser for this is pretty silly, my first reaction was wtf. I play just fine on a 1GB 5870 on high settings.

Im guessing page file issue(see post above).
July 2, 2012 11:11:15 PM

I have BF3 installed on the ssd so I'll have to check out what the defaults are for this drive. I don't get this error playing Diablo 3 btw, just bf3. I know bf3 is more heavy, just giving some more info. I'll try all these once I get home. Thanks for all the input guys.
July 3, 2012 3:50:37 AM

Update: Changed the page file and the error still happened. Gonna try reinstalling now.
July 3, 2012 11:25:34 PM

I just realized that I didn't have Virtu MVP running and since I've enabled it again it seems to have fixed the problem. BUt now I get a weird screen shutter from the VSYNC I'm assuming.
!