Sign in with
Your question

Build a PC for me for general use (under $800)

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 9:24:35 AM

I'm a noob and this will be my first build. I'm no expert on computers but I know a little so bare with me. I dont game at all this PC will just be used for general use. The most stress put on the system will probably be from streaming movies to my xbox. I dont want to spend over $800 otherwise I would rather get an imac. The less it costs me the better but I dont want to cheap out.

I'm looking for something thats super quick and also very quiet. I love how fast my macbook pro boots up and dread using my HP desktop.

I've heard good things about the i5 processor so I will most likely use that unless somebody convinces me otherwise. I will also be taking advantage of the intel smart response technology so I'll need a MB compatible with that.

I'll be using a solid state hardrive for boot up and a 1tb+ for data (7200rpm)

Ram I will take your guys advice on is it 16gb worth it or should I save money and stick with 8gb?

Power supply I have no idea about but I heard it makes or breaks the PC

Graphics card again no idea but I need an hdmi output

Other things I need

DVD CD Burner (maybe even a bluray burner if I can fit it into the budget)
USB 2.0/3.0
Case (obviously)
Multimedia card reader
USB on the front of the case
OS-Windows 7 or 8?
Good cooling system that is quiet

Also need suggestions on a good 21"+ monitor preferably under $200? Is LED the best quality?

Any suggestions or things you think i should add to it (or something im missing) would be great this is my first build so I'll take all the help and advice I can get. A link to all the wires and other accessories I'll need to build would be nice as well. Would I be better off building it myself or getting a website to do it?

More about : build general 800

August 21, 2012 11:35:23 AM

Here you go http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdHh
$800 with no graphics,os or monitor.
I recommend windows 7 home premium. You can then sign up for windows 8 upgrade offer.
I recommend viewsonic IPS displays.
I recommend at least a hd7850 or greater for such a monitor. The psu in the build will support even two.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 4:26:55 PM

he was looking for something that was quiet. the stock fan is not
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:00:47 AM

Thanks guys any more suggestions?
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:39:09 AM

allanitomwesh said:
Here you go http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdHh
$800 with no graphics,os or monitor.
I recommend windows 7 home premium. You can then sign up for windows 8 upgrade offer.
I recommend viewsonic IPS displays.
I recommend at least a hd7850 or greater for such a monitor. The psu in the build will support even two.

TheBigTroll said:
if you are not gaming on the pc, the onboard stuff is usually enough

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdZi

Whats the difference in these two motherboards? Why is the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 almost w $100 more then the Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155?

Also do I really need a 600 watt PSU compared to the 400 watt one?
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:58:02 AM

No you don't need them, unless you'll change your mind later and start gaming. I put them there as expansion proof. The h77 is the diet z77 board. It's been stripped down. It can't overclock,support two graphics cards,or have as many usb3.0 ports. Nothing drastic. The 600w psu will run two graphics cards. Again, put it there for expansion proofing, the one bigtroll put will run one card,as many as h77 supports.A microatx board is smaller and fits in any case,even slim ones. ATX is the standard,full board.
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:28:10 AM

Whats a good MB priced in between those that has overclocking, SRT, and everything else im looking for?
m
l
August 22, 2012 9:04:06 AM

Asrock z77 pro 4 or extreme 4 depending on how much you want to lose.
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:05:14 AM

^ What would i lose if I got the asrock z77 over the gigabyte z77
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:24:40 AM

Bluetooth,wifi,FireWire and a number of ports.
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:02:29 PM

allanitomwesh said:
No you don't need them, unless you'll change your mind later and start gaming. I put them there as expansion proof. The h77 is the diet z77 board. It's been stripped down. It can't overclock,support two graphics cards,or have as many usb3.0 ports. Nothing drastic. The 600w psu will run two graphics cards. Again, put it there for expansion proofing, the one bigtroll put will run one card,as many as h77 supports.A microatx board is smaller and fits in any case,even slim ones. ATX is the standard,full board.

its kinda bull on the fact that h77 cant support dual graphics because it can. i chose the 600w because it was cheaper than the 500w or the 400w. it can support lower end SLI/crossfire setups but it isnt quite certified
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:03:15 PM

and if you are overclocking, you should have said so eariler too
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:18:28 PM

TheBigTroll said:
its kinda bull on the fact that h77 cant support dual graphics because it can. i chose the 600w because it was cheaper than the 500w or the 400w. it can support lower end SLI/crossfire setups but it isnt quite certified

Running sli at x4 is terrible. That's why it's not certified.All h77 boards do that.
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:54:39 PM

oh and SLI wont run at x4. nvidia thinks it doesnt work
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:20:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
look here bro. the board i recommended eariler wont do it but h77 boards can do crossfire and SLI
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69888&promoid=1205

i said the psu was not certified

Still runs at x4. Check on the Asus site. I'd actually be very interested in a H77 that can sli.
And both our psu recommendations are 80+
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:10:46 PM

either way, pci-e 3.0 x4 is pci-e 2 8x which is more than enough for current video cards
m
l
August 22, 2012 5:56:27 PM

TheBigTroll said:
either way, pci-e 3.0 x4 is pci-e 2 8x which is more than enough for current video cards

Both suggested boards have only one pci e 3.0 slot,as is the case with ANY H77 board. But let's agree to disagree on that.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:32:51 PM

^and I chose the 600w power supply. You mixed that up. I think the OP should be clear with what exactly he wants,though.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:44:05 PM

i put that one since it offers more headroom if he needs a card that uses more than one connector. the 400w model of the one i recommended has only 1 pci connector. if he is to use something less power hungry like the 7850 in the future, the 400w should be good. but if he is to use something like the 660ti, he will need the wattage

i did say that he would be using intergrated graphics but who knows what hes going to put as a video card
m
l
August 23, 2012 3:43:12 AM

It's a good board. It has good overclocking ability. I'd say for the sale price it's as good as the gigabyte. Otherwise the gigabyte wins on value.
The ocz is the better psu.
K series processors can overclock. Otherwise they're identical.
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:05:58 AM

allanitomwesh said:
It's a good board. It has good overclocking ability. I'd say for the sale price it's as good as the gigabyte. Otherwise the gigabyte wins on value.
The ocz is the better psu.
K series processors can overclock. Otherwise they're identical.

I think I'm going to bite on the combo MB and CPU deal and the OCZ PSU.

Found this 3tb seagate drive for only $130 - seagate isnt the best brand from what I've read but its a great deal or maybe I'll wait for a sale on a 1 or 2tb
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=66009&vpn=ST...

I also found a Plexter M5S 128gb on sale for $85 I think I may get
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:24:48 AM

The cooler master in bigtroll's build is better.
m
l
!