Computer crashes; can't decide what the faulty part is

I recently built a computer for the first time, but I've been having periodic crashes; about one or two a day. Everything works, it's just not stable. I've run Memtest twice without any errors, and I've run Prime95 on the Small FFT test for a few hours without any threads crashing, but if I run the other two Prime95 tests (large FFT, blend), it does start throwing math errors and crashing. It's not overheating unless this tool lies to me; I've never seen the CPU above 37 centigrade. I'm not overclocking or anything, and don't know much about doing that, so I don't really know what to tweak to try fixing it.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3
PSU: APEVIA ATX-CB700W
RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
Drives: 250GB Kingston SSD, 1TB Hitachi HDD, 80GB Hitachi HDD, LG BD/DVD-RW
Coolermaster case with improperly installed Corsair H100 liquid cooler (It's mounted on the CPU right, but the radiator wouldn't fit with the stock fans, so I stuck some smaller fans in it but obviously couldn't mount them right. I don't think I'm having overheating issues though.)

Anyone have any ideas what else to test, or what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Added PSU to spec list
7 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes decide faulty part
  1. I really doubt the /rocessor never gets above 37c.

ull the water cooling, install the stock heat sink and fan.

if you have the o/erating system installed on the SSD disconnect the other hard drives.

my "tinkle" key doesn't work, sorry.
  2. What is your power supply? make and model.
  3. did you make sure your mb bios is up to date so it has the newest cpu and ram code??
  4. Knew I'd forget something. PSU was this guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046 (APEVIA ATX-CB700W)

RAM was this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057Q4ADU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_1 (Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX )

Pretty sure I've updated my BIOS, but I'll check.

Also, I don't believe the temperature either, but I used to have the stock heatsink on it and it still never got too hot. I'll try finding a different program to tell me my temps, but maybe the thermometer is just bad. Does that happen? Still, I can keep it running Prime95 and it'll sit at the highest temperature it reports the whole time without overheating or crashing.
  5. Next time instead of sorting on lowest price sort on best rating. The customer ratings is what makes Newegg so nice to use. I suspect it is your power supply. If you have another one around I suggest you test it. I don't have the whole list of reputable manufacturers but a few are Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair.
  6. that psu could be the problem , really not good. why buy good parts cpu , vga, and cheap out un the psu ?
  7. You never ever EVER cheap out on your PSU. It is the heart to your computer - always buy name brand.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Product