New graphic card not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi guys,
I just bought new graphic card (msi radeon hd 7850 twin frozr 2gb) and seasonic 650W power supply today.

my current specs are :

Monitor: HP 2309m (1920x1080)
Motherboard: MCP73M01H1 (Napa)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB PC2-6400
Graphic card: msi radeon 7850 twin frozr III oc 2gb (previous one: GT 130 768MB)
PSU: seasonic 650W (previous one: 350W)

And when I put them together and turn on the power, the monitor doesn't not detect any signal (dvi).
so I switched the dvi cable to the on-board graphic card then the monitor can display but the device manager only detects ob board graphic card.
then I put back gt 130 and it works perfectly as before.
then I tried putting 7850 back then same issue (monitor doesn't detect anything)
I can see the fans are running on 7850 :cry:

Help pls?

Solution
Cables used should not matter.

You can either replace the motherboard or try a different video card with a lower PCIe spec. Though that is not guaranteed to work in an OEM board. Would be safer to upgrade the motherboard.
I think that PCIe slot is a 1.0. Some new cards have issues running on that. You may need a new motherboard to run that card. You can try doing a bios update and check for any new chipset drivers, but I don't think you can get a high-end video card running on your stock HP OEM motherboard.

If you can, try the card in another PC, one with a motherboard made for gaming systems. Or fine a higher end card with a PCIe 2.0 or lower interface to try.

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I can see the fans at video card is running. So I think the power is not an issue.

I forgot to mention that my friend used VGA cable but I used DVI cable. Can it be cable issue? Anyway, we are going to test that tomorrow so I'll post the results here again.

If that is my motherboard problem then I need to buy new one?
Or should I change the card with GTX 560 ti? (i think it's PCI-e 2?)

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I tried that alr..
1. I connect dvi cable to on-board graphic card so that I can see the BIOS setting on display.
2. change to PCI-E in BIOS
3. shut down and changed cable to 7850
4. start the cpu again but no display on monitor.

I hope my steps are right ...

G

those are right.

since you had a card in there, we know the slot is working. it seems the PCI 3.0 is not working. can you go back and ask if you can get another card because of this problem?

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
okay guys. I decided to get help from a shop and found out that 560ti doesn't work on my old OEM motherboard too.
I bought a new motherboard gigabyte s-series and left everything at the shop to have them put all together.
I'll go get it tomorrow and post the results.

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Just took back my pc from shop. I had to RMA the GPU yesterday also. The technician from shop says smoke came out of it after abt using for 30min. Btw I had to change motherboard as well. $_$
Now everything seems fine at the shop.
Thanks for all the help guys. :)

razefast

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

I bought Gigabyte g41m combo. It's running fine for about 1 week now except I got blue screen (IRQL not less or equal) once while playing dota 2. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.