Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will a HD6870 run on a 450W PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 2, 2012 4:16:30 PM

I'm hoping to buy a 6870 card, and in the official site it says it need atleast a 500W PSU. So if I install it in my rig, will it cause any problems?

If my PSU cannot handle it, please suggest me a card for $150.

I have a PCIE v1.1

More about : hd6870 run 450w psu

July 2, 2012 4:28:31 PM

Exactly which 450W power supply do you have?
A high quality 450W power supply ( such as my XFX 450W Core Edition) will easily power a HD 6870, it just depends which one you have.

Full system specs please.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:31:51 PM

If its a really good 450W, then I would say sure. If its not, then most likely not.

What is the model of your PSU?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 4:36:06 PM

yummerzzz said:
Exactly which 450W power supply do you have?
A high quality 450W power supply ( such as my XFX 450W Core Edition) will easily power a HD 6870, it just depends which one you have.

Full system specs please.


You probably haven't heard of it, its called "Symbol" 450W

My Specs are:

Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz
3GB DDR2 Ram
500GB HDD
9500GT 512mb VGA
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:37:22 PM

Guys I have been using this PSU for more than 2 years but still works great!
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:50:14 PM

Well I actually haven't at all heard of it. Its probably generic. If you want to run a 6870, you are going to have to replace it.

There are cards that will run on it that you probably wouldnt have to replace it with though. Can you give us the specs of the power supply? It should come on a label on the side that looks like this:

m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:51:59 PM

Deemo13 said:
Well I actually haven't at all heard of it. Its probably generic. If you want to run a 6870, you are going to have to replace it.

There are cards that will run on it that you probably wouldnt have to replace it with though. Can you give us the specs of the power supply? It should come on a label on the side that looks like this:

http://absba8.absba.org/teamwork19/power_zamel_o_yaman/neo_label.jpg


I will reply you later..please check back :) 
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 3:22:06 AM

Deemo13 said:
Well I actually haven't at all heard of it. Its probably generic. If you want to run a 6870, you are going to have to replace it.

There are cards that will run on it that you probably wouldnt have to replace it with though. Can you give us the specs of the power supply? It should come on a label on the side that looks like this:

http://absba8.absba.org/teamwork19/power_zamel_o_yaman/neo_label.jpg



I took some pics from my Phone, here:

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/rocler12/?acti...

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/rocler12/?acti...

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t397/rocler12/?acti...

If this PSU can't handle the card, please suggest me some VGA cards that will work on a 400PSU for about $150.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 3:27:50 AM

That PSU is terrible, only 15 amps on the +12V rail, so it's really a 200 Watt PSU at best. You're going to need a new power supply for any gaming capable GPU, so you'll have to upgrade it too. Either save up an extra 50 bucks to get a good quality 450 Watt PSU as well as the 6870, or take 50 bucks out of your GPU budget to get a better PSU.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 4:57:48 AM

15a on the 12V rail is pretty miserable. You should do what Supernova1138 has said, and take $50 out of your GPU budget and get a different GPU, or save up for a new power supply to go with the card.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 7:32:44 AM

I wouldn't recommend that one. The CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus line is of rather poor quality. Their voltages tend not to be stable when pushed to their upper limits, potentially causing damage to your components. The only CoolerMaster units that are really any good are the Silent Pro Gold line, and they start at 700 Watts.

Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are among the better brands, and they will have good quality units available in the 450 to 500 Watt range.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 8:02:21 AM

That one is a lot better, it will be sufficient to power a 6870.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 5:34:32 PM

The CX500 is perfect.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 6:12:40 PM

coolermaster_72 said:
I'm hoping to buy a 6870 card, and in the official site it says it need atleast a 500W PSU. So if I install it in my rig, will it cause any problems?

If my PSU cannot handle it, please suggest me a card for $150.

I have a PCIE v1.1


Hello. Can I use this VGA (6870) with this Supply (PSU)?
My PSU is a Frontier DR-8460BTX
450W

Here are a picture with my PSU:
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/121203/IMG_6201_www.kepfeltoltes...
m
0
l
!