Closed Solved

300W PSU for a GTX 670? (Temporary)

Before you think im an idiot, please read below :)

I found a buyer for my GTX 550ti so im taking it out tonight to sell it.. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma.. I have not purchased my upgrade yet!!

If i were to go ahead and get my 670 this week... can I run it with my 300W psu until I actually purchase the rest of my build? I do not plan on running anything too graphically demanding until then. I mostly just want to keep my dual monitor setup, but i don't want to do something that is bad for the GPU.

If not then ill just have to downgrade my current PC until then.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 300w temporary
  1. I really don't think that a 300W can handle a GTX 670. This will, though:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074
  2. Best answer
    I would not recommend using a 300w PSU with your new GPU...period. You may damage the GPU in the process and will certainly kill the PSU in the process. Not worth the risk.

    Get the new PSU and install both the new PSU and GPU at the same time.

    Good luck!
  3. yes, you can run the 670 fine with 300w PSU but two things you have to care about that,
    1: make sure the psu is good rated and a quailty brand like antec,XFX,corsair.
    2: you do not have to overclock anything.

    At max load GTX 670 eats about 162w.
  4. I would personally go against it, and if you have a cpu with an IGP, would run with that instead.
  5. xtreme5 said:
    yes, you can run the 670 fine with 300w PSU but two things you have to care about that,
    1: make sure the psu is good rated and a quailty brand like antec,XFX,corsair.
    2: you do not have to overclock anything.

    At max load GTX 670 eats about 162w.
    http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5342/gtx670power.png

    ....plus the CPU, memory, HDDs, Optical drives, etc.....300w is truly below minimal and likely won't carry sufficient amperage to supply the GPU anywhere close to its needs.

    I strongly recommend caution here.
  6. Best answer selected by Iocaine1.
  7. COLGeek said:
    I would not recommend using a 300w PSU with your new GPU...period. You may damage the GPU in the process and will certainly kill the PSU in the process. Not worth the risk.

    Get the new PSU and install both the new PSU and GPU at the same time.

    Good luck!


    This is what i figured.. I'd rather buy and build everything at the same time anyway.. just sucks that i wont be running any games for the next 2 months.
  8. Just think how much you'll enjoy the new stuff!! Waiting is the better option.

    Good luck!
  9. iocaine1 said:
    Before you think im an idiot, please read below :)

    I found a buyer for my GTX 550ti so im taking it out tonight to sell it.. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma.. I have not purchased my upgrade yet!!

    If i were to go ahead and get my 670 this week... can I run it with my 300W psu until I actually purchase the rest of my build? I do not plan on running anything too graphically demanding until then. I mostly just want to keep my dual monitor setup, but i don't want to do something that is bad for the GPU.

    If not then ill just have to downgrade my current PC until then.


    yes you can since as posted already it only uses a few watts more.
    (thanks extreme you saved me from looking for that benchmark)

    but that might be just enough to fail your PSU w/o know what make/brand it is. you are most likely better off waiting until you get another PSU and then go to town. and really, what is the sense of having a great GPU like that in your rig if you can't use all of it?


    EDIt: whoa i take too long to type. good choice!
  10. This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product