Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or newbuild?

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 1:53:14 PM

Hello,
I haven't been into the PC gaming scene for a long time but now there are a lot of new games coming out that are getting my attention. I was a PC tech for a long time so doing the upgrades myself or doing a newbuild isn't a problem. the problem is that I have not really followed market trends for the PC industry for a long time so I'm not sure if I do upgrade how long I can expect my upgrades to last before I am pulling my hair out and wishing I would have just started over anyhow. My current system I bulit about 4 years ago, give or take, and it uses the following parts.

Asus P5N-D LGA 775 SLI MB
Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Core2 Quad
4 2GB A-Data DDR2 800 Ram
Asus EN9800GTX+ DK PCIE 2.0 x 16
WD Black Series 500GB SATA HD
Asus Lightscribe DVD-RW SATA
NZXT 800 Watt PS
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

Those are the basics. I can upgrade the CPU to a Intel Q9680 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Quad and if I do that I would also upgrade the video to a single Geforce 560 GTX TI and add a 2nd one later so that I can stay within a reasonable budget fo my upgrades. My motherboard is already maxed out on ram so can't do much there but could also posibly add in a SSD to improve the OS performance but then I will hit a wall. The processor and 2 video cards total will run about $550 us as an estimate and the SSD would vary depending on current options at that time in the future. I don't have a lot of money just laying around to do a new build so I thought this would be a good option but If I do am I gonna regret it? To add a bit more info the games I am looking at immediately are Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and Sleeping Dogs. If I do a new build I'll go with a i7 on a Asus Maximus V Extreme MB and will definately re-evaluate the video card choice but coming up with that kind of cash is gonna take some time $ 550 is a lot easier than $1,500+. Any advice, pro's and con's are welcome and appreciated.

More about : upgrade newbuild

August 21, 2012 2:09:39 PM

There isn't much room to upgrade your current system so I would build a new PC. I built a similar system in 2007. It had a Q6600 and an 8800 GTS. I upgraded the VC to an ATI 5850 in 2009 but decided to build an Ivy bridge system this year. What a difference. I also used an SSD and it's so much faster than my old PC. I wish I hadn't waited so long to upgrade.
August 21, 2012 2:22:36 PM

I appreciate the reply. Yes you are correct that I would reach my upgrade limit very quickly by changing the cpu, video card config and adding a SSD. I know there is a huge difference in the proposed upgrade and a new system. My question is more of if I did those upgrades how long does the community think it would be a viable gaming platform? Or is it pretty much not worth it at all at this point?
!