ATA 100 Hard Disk Configuration

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone know the proper way to configure the hard disk in the bios with an a7v 133a motherboard?

My setup: Seagate 10G 7200rpm hard disk
Connected to primary ata 100 ide
no slave to hard disk
promise ata100 drivers installed
bios: ATA100/SCSI
CPU: Duron 800
Sdram: 256

Problem: Bootup shows none for Primary
master and slave (when I connect
my zip100 as slave to hard drive
...zip not currently connected).

Defrags are very slow, drive has
most of it's free space. Had a
5400rpm maxtor @ ata66 that
would zoom thru defrag on same
system

Also, bios for hard disk set to
auto...but doesn't show hard
drive info...except for LBA
and speed I think.

Also, I am using the blue/black ide cable that came with the motherboard...would anyone know if this cable is ATA 100
compatable. Will appreciate any help.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
<font color=red>Does this motherboard have the RAID controllers? Cause on the Asus Website it's optional on the A7V133a?</font color=red>

<font color=blue>If the drive is connected to the standard ATA100 controllers it should just be set to 'Auto' in the BIOS w/ LBA enabled. I would make sure that if it isn't the only drive in the system, that it has the correct jumper settings</font color=blue>

<font color=green>If the drive is connected to the ATA100 RAID controller then it's not going to be detected where the standard IDE controllers detect it's drives. It's going to be detected under another BIOS system that's specifically for the RAID controller.

Keep us posted ...</font color=green>

<font color=red><b>"Can you deal with that!"</b></font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if your drives dont show up in the bios when you do autodetect then they are on the promise ata/raid controller.

you must install the promise ata100 drivers, think they can be found on the CD supplied with the motherboard, or go to the promise webpage.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.