Sign in with
Your question

I have two video cards. How do I display on secondary one?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2012 6:39:48 PM

I have two gtx 480's in SLI. The top one (the one my monitor is plugged into, via hdmi to micro hdmi) seems to be bugging out a little bit. The monitor flashes off every so often, and there are green pixels flashing in some areas from time to time.

My question is: How do I change it so that when I plug my monitor into the secondary, (bottom) graphics card, it will display normally?

I've tried just plugging it in, but nothing happens. I figure there is a setting somewhere to make the other graphics card the primary one - I've looked through Nvidia control panel and can't really see much. Perhaps bios? I am probably making this much more complicated than it actually is, haha.

Edit: Bahh sorry about this, it seems that the one port on my monitor is broken, as well as the micro hdmi slot on the graphics card seems to be very iffy. (monitor was dropped down a flight of stairs... not my fault :p )
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 7:21:15 PM

Just for future reference: When SLI is enabled, only top card can give video output unless you're running surround mode. So if you wanted the bottom card to display video instead of the top one, you'd have to swap them in place. Glad you solved it though!
m
l
July 2, 2012 7:40:41 PM

Sunius said:
Just for future reference: When SLI is enabled, only top card can give video output unless you're running surround mode. So if you wanted the bottom card to display video instead of the top one, you'd have to swap them in place. Glad you solved it though!

Really? Because I just plugged it into my bottom graphics card, and into the secondary HDMI port on my montior and it seems to be working now. Control panel still says SLI is enabled..
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2012 7:48:05 PM

They actually updated that some time around driver 285. As long as your motherboard does not have a bios lock that the top slot is the primary slot. Now with SLI on you can still only have 2 monitors but you can use any 2 of the 4 ports you want. One in the top card and one in the bottom card, or both in the top card or what have you.

In surround mode you can use 3 monitors and again any of the 4 ports will work, the driver will just use the ports you ask it to.

Finally with SLI and Surround off "activate all displays" you can have up to 4 monitors 2 on each card.

In my experience the Micro HDMI connector is not worth the trouble. You even breath on that thing and it messes up. I have a camcorder and both my 470s that use it, I tried like 5 different cables, they never work well for me. I stick to DVI.
m
l
July 2, 2012 7:52:35 PM

bucknutty said:
They actually updated that some time around driver 285. As long as your motherboard does not have a bios lock that the top slot is the primary slot. Now with SLI on you can still only have 2 monitors but you can use any 2 of the 4 ports you want. One in the top card and one in the bottom card, or both in the top card or what have you.

In surround mode you can use 3 monitors and again any of the 4 ports will work, the driver will just use the ports you ask it to.

Finally with SLI and Surround off "activate all displays" you can have up to 4 monitors 2 on each card.

In my experience the Micro HDMI connector is not worth the trouble. You even breath on that thing and it messes up. I have a camcorder and both my 470s that use it, I tried like 5 different cables, they never work well for me. I stick to DVI.

Haha thats a lot for the info, you are exactly right. If I wiggle the micro hdmi coming out of the graphics card, it seems to cut in and out. I didn't really have problems with it till now.. Thanks
m
l
!