Sign in with
Your question

Bsod 0x0000007f

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 5:05:08 PM

please help i have had this problem for a while i get orther codes as well but this is the latest one
also my graphics card crashes alot recently

More about : bsod 0x0000007f

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 5:34:14 PM

you need to provide more information. For starters:

1. Full specs of the system
2. How long you've had it.
3. what you were/are doing when it crashes.
4. What you have tried to do to fix it so far.
5. What kind of sofware do you have installed?

What anti-virus software are you running?
August 21, 2012 5:39:51 PM

my specs are: Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ripjaws Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III Caviar Green Internal Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1
Logitech Keyboard K120 - USB
Logitech M90 Wired Optical Mouse - USB
Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified
XFX HD 6870 900MHz 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

i have had it for about 4 weeks

i was playing tf2

i have tried to format my hard drive but it wont let me

i have avg installed that might be the problem

i have had blue screens before but i would format my hd and it would go away
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 5:50:09 PM

So this is a pre-built system? Or one that you built yourself? The specs make it look like a custom built, but you posted in the pre-built section.

--------
There are a number of things that could be causing the problem, but this is a good list to start with:
Why won't it let you format your hard drive?

Are you using a clean copy of Windows7 or is this a transplanted hard drive from another system? If this is the case, try running a program like CCCleaner. You said you had problems with blue screens before, thats why I'm wondering what the history is here.

I would suggest running memtest86 to check the RAM. Let it run for 4 hours at least.

You have a Z77 mobo (Ivy Bridge)with an Sandy Bridge CPU. This leads me to 2 other questions:

1. Do you have overclocks on that machine? DO NOT overclock an Intel CPU at the reference clock, ever. I don't care if joe blow on Tom's hardware says "oh its okay you can push it up to 102-104mhz and it works just fine", joe blow is a moron.

2. Do you have the latest BIOS version on the board? Flash the BIOS if it isn't.
August 21, 2012 5:54:42 PM

i built it my self and i do not run any overclocks and when i try to format my hd it comes up an error and i do not know if i have the latest bios :S and i dont know how to check would it help if i got the files from minidump?
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 5:58:51 PM

The minidump files would help yes, you can just screenshot from BlueScreenview. If you've never flashed the BIOS, it probably does not have the latest.

What error comes up when you try to format the hard drive? You can't format a hard drive you're currently using, it should prompt you that it will schedule a format the next time the system is rebooted. Although, you can always format by doing a re-install of Windows (it will prompt you and ask you if you want to overwrite the existing data for a clean install) I still want to know the history of that hard drive and Windows7 copy.

As far as finding out what BIOS version you have, theres a couple ways. There should be a sticker on the motherboard telling you, or alternatively you can do this:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/biosverwin....
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:02:28 PM

Windows 7 “0x0000007F” have been reported on computers with antivirus software installed. In this scenario, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following: STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000008, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Do you install AVG free or Zonealarm in your PC? If yes, try to uninstall and put the MS security Essentials.
August 21, 2012 6:03:12 PM

its a new copy of windows and a new hard drive
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:05:20 PM

cin19 said:
Windows 7 “0x0000007F” have been reported on computers with antivirus software installed. In this scenario, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following: STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000008, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Do you install AVG free or Zonealarm in your PC? If yes, try to uninstall and put the MS security Essentials.

Yea, I found that one too. Thats one possibility, but I don't see that using AVG free should be causing the problem. Apparnetly people have claimed Symantec anti-virus caused it too, (that would be Norton), that doesn't make sense either at least to me. Norton is a mainstream anti-virus program. As far as MS security essentials, its trash.
August 21, 2012 6:23:44 PM

i have pictures of some of the crashes on my ipod should i send u them?
August 21, 2012 6:27:13 PM

i turned my computer on and it crashed D:
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:29:15 PM

At what point did it crash? Before Windows even starts? If its crashing before Windows even really gets started up, you can probably rule out software lol.

As far as pictures, can you upload them to imageshack or something and link em. Fair warning I gotta get ready for work, so I won't be back til later on.
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:47:39 PM

General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errors are hardware and software, and the most important parameter is the first one (0x0000000X) which may have several different values. Check the link to see which one you got.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

Because I can't see it on your picture.
August 21, 2012 8:18:54 PM

it is definetly hardware im guessing its the hard drive please reply back thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 1:48:52 AM

Have you done all of the things I gave you to start with?

August 22, 2012 7:34:32 AM

i tried it crashes when it says starting so would it be the hard drive ?
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 2:17:56 PM

Not necessarily, could also be the RAM, or something else. You have an i3 with onboard graphics, pull the video card out and try booting. See if it crashes. If you have another hard drive, go ahead and try to boot it with that (or an Ubuntu live disk, should work as well)
August 22, 2012 6:03:04 PM

i have pulled the graphics card out and it still blue screend
August 22, 2012 6:14:47 PM

im still sure its the hard drive because i used to be able to format it now it comes up and error
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 6:22:46 PM

You built the machine 4 weeks ago and you have had the issue "for awhile".

Then you said
"i have had blue screens before but i would format my hd and it would go away "

Only now you cannot format your HDD.

So, your drive was being corrupted. Let me list out the possible causes that seem to fit, just as a second opinion... Nekulturny has you covered pretty well.

Bad SATA cable
Bad RAM or incorrectly configured RAM.
MB needs a BIOS update
Some type of assembly error such as a wrongly placed standoff or loose screw
MB has a hardware issue

So some quick and easy checks for you to do:

Switch out the HDD data cable
Move the HDD cable from whichever port it's connected to and put it in one of the ports that have a different color. I'm guessing it's in a white port right now, try a blue one.
Of course, that will only be a good test if your HDD is not corrupted, but if it let's you format now that might be a good sign.
August 22, 2012 6:36:04 PM

i have switched the sata cable and the data and it stills gives me a blue screen and wont let me format
August 22, 2012 6:45:06 PM

oh sorry i didnt switch the data cable but i have done it now started up fine i will let u know thanks to you and nekulturny you guys have been amazing taking time out your day to help people dont know if its fully fixed but i will let u know :D 
August 22, 2012 7:16:23 PM

thanks alot it fixed it :D  you guys helped alot :D 
August 22, 2012 7:35:10 PM

it actually just crashed again it made a deep beeping sound and switched off?
August 22, 2012 8:09:49 PM

i still cant format the hard drive
August 22, 2012 8:20:42 PM

can u have a read at some of the other messages
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 9:02:34 PM

Beeped and died?

Is your CPU overheating?
August 22, 2012 9:08:52 PM

that actually might be the problem since i have the stock cooler do u have any recommendations on what one i should get? but did u have a look at the picture?
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 9:13:13 PM

Yes it just doesn't mean too much by itself.

Unplug the HDD and get into the BIOS if you still can, look at the CPU temp and report back.
August 22, 2012 9:37:37 PM

i will do it tommorow off to bed and i think i fixed the blue screens still unsure changed the data cable to a completely different one (hard to explain but it had data cables all connected and i switched to other ones) any way im off now
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2012 9:53:30 PM

Sorry Axcane. I remember some thing about the GA-Z77-D3H has the problem and I look for it. Now I found it, but I don't know if I can or can't paste the other community forums link in here.

They said that can fix the problem.
1) Setting BCLK in BIOS to 100.1; and/or 2) Disabling the CPU C3/C5 state in BIOS.

You can try it.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 12:30:32 AM

You can post links to other forums, it would only be against the rules if there was something offensive.
August 23, 2012 10:54:11 AM

Proximon said:
Yes it just doesn't mean too much by itself.

Unplug the HDD and get into the BIOS if you still can, look at the CPU temp and report back.

cpu temp is 93c :S
August 23, 2012 10:57:16 AM

cin19 said:
Sorry Axcane. I remember some thing about the GA-Z77-D3H has the problem and I look for it. Now I found it, but I don't know if I can or can't paste the other community forums link in here.

They said that can fix the problem.
1) Setting BCLK in BIOS to 100.1; and/or 2) Disabling the CPU C3/C5 state in BIOS.

You can try it.

i can only see c3/c6? should i disable that?
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 4:04:27 PM

Look like you have a lot the problems.

I will recommend you do the reinstall Win7. Sometime you hard to fix here and there.

Stop error code 0x000000D1 (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) is registry problem.

Also your CPU temp is high, you need reset the cpu cooler. I3 temp should be ~ 35-50 at idle and 60-85 heavier load w/ intel cpu cooler.

So first, reset the cpu cooler, then if you can that go to BIOS to change the cpu Frequency. Or if you use GIGABYTE 3D BIOS to change CPU/PCIe Base Clock to 100.1MHz instead of auto (100MHz). http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6108/Gigabyte%20Z77X-U...

After that do the reinstall OS. By the way if you have some files in the HD, saving them in other driver first.
August 23, 2012 5:10:20 PM

cin19 said:
Look like you have a lot the problems.

I will recommend you do the reinstall Win7. Sometime you hard to fix here and there.

Stop error code 0x000000D1 (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) is registry problem.

Also your CPU temp is high, you need reset the cpu cooler. I3 temp should be ~ 35-50 at idle and 60-85 heavier load w/ intel cpu cooler.

So first, reset the cpu cooler, then if you can that go to BIOS to change the cpu Frequency. Or if you use GIGABYTE 3D BIOS to change CPU/PCIe Base Clock to 100.1MHz instead of auto (100MHz). http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6108/Gigabyte%20Z77X-U...

After that do the reinstall OS. By the way if you have some files in the HD, saving them in other driver first.

can i reinstall windows if i cant format my hard drive and i changed it to 100.1
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2012 6:49:48 PM

You need to do this in the right order, because this is likely what is happening:

Your CPU is seriously hot which means your memory controller, built into the CPU, is also very hot. This is corrupting your data on your HDD.

When your CPU cooler is installed correctly it should be around 15C above ambient temps at idle. Your BIOS reports Tcase, not the core temps, and this is different.

Your maximum Tcase value is 69.1C NOT 80C. Your CPU could already be seriously damaged, so do not use it until you have the cooler properly installed. You do not need a new cooler, you just need that one installed right.

The CPU came with its own little instruction sheet.
August 23, 2012 7:20:31 PM

Proximon said:
You need to do this in the right order, because this is likely what is happening:

Your CPU is seriously hot which means your memory controller, built into the CPU, is also very hot. This is corrupting your data on your HDD.

When your CPU cooler is installed correctly it should be around 15C above ambient temps at idle. Your BIOS reports Tcase, not the core temps, and this is different.

Your maximum Tcase value is 69.1C NOT 80C. Your CPU could already be seriously damaged, so do not use it until you have the cooler properly installed. You do not need a new cooler, you just need that one installed right.

how would i reset my fan it says taken it out resets it? is that true
August 23, 2012 7:41:20 PM

ok what i just said was stupid sorry :S
August 23, 2012 7:53:42 PM

Proximon said:

thanks its going 54 to 60c now thanks im going to test it and see if it still blue screens but im afraid it will since i have had it for 4 weeks and i remember seeing 90c from the start but stupidly enough i ignored it thinking it was a mistake...sodo u think it will still blue screen? and is it the cause of my hard drive not being able to format?
August 23, 2012 8:24:16 PM

it crashed done the same screen as before with all the lines :S
August 24, 2012 12:24:37 AM

Proximon said:

should i send it back and did it corrupt the hd
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:20:15 AM

You need to take this step by step, and be careful about it.

1. The very first thing you need to do is remove the CPU cooler. Use denatured alcohol and a coffee filter (because it is lint free) to completely clean all the or thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink.

2. Replace the CPU cooler using fresh thermal paste. Use a white ceramique type of paste like TX-2 or OCZ Freeze or MX-4. Make sure you use the correct amount and apply it properly. Do not use too much. Make sure each of the 4 posts on the CPU cooler is fully and completely engaged in the motherboard.

3. Start your computer without the HDD plugged in. Go into the BIOS and check the reported CPU temperature. If it is higher than 40C at this point you have a problem.

4. If everything is fine the next step is to boot from a Memtest disk you have created on another system.
http://www.memtest.org/
Remember, your HDD is still unplugged.
Let your computer run memtest overnight.

5. If there are no errors in memtest plug your HDD back in and boot from your Win 7 DVD. Re-format the HDD and then re-install Win 7.

6. Download and run Real Temp
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
and verify temps are still acceptable.

7. Run Prime95 and Realtemp
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
to discover what your CPU core temps are at full load. Verify that these temps are OK

8. finish updating all your drivers and Win 7, and if you have no more BSODs or crashes, celebrate.
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2012 5:53:30 AM

I'm still here btw.

axcane said:
how would i reset my fan it says taken it out resets it? is that true

:lol:  we all have our moments, I promise you, you aren't alone.
August 24, 2012 1:15:19 PM

Proximon said:
You need to take this step by step, and be careful about it.

1. The very first thing you need to do is remove the CPU cooler. Use denatured alcohol and a coffee filter (because it is lint free) to completely clean all the or thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink.

2. Replace the CPU cooler using fresh thermal paste. Use a white ceramique type of paste like TX-2 or OCZ Freeze or MX-4. Make sure you use the correct amount and apply it properly. Do not use too much. Make sure each of the 4 posts on the CPU cooler is fully and completely engaged in the motherboard.

3. Start your computer without the HDD plugged in. Go into the BIOS and check the reported CPU temperature. If it is higher than 40C at this point you have a problem.

4. If everything is fine the next step is to boot from a Memtest disk you have created on another system.
http://www.memtest.org/
Remember, your HDD is still unplugged.
Let your computer run memtest overnight.

5. If there are no errors in memtest plug your HDD back in and boot from your Win 7 DVD. Re-format the HDD and then re-install Win 7.

6. Download and run Real Temp
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
and verify temps are still acceptable.

7. Run Prime95 and Realtemp
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
to discover what your CPU core temps are at full load. Verify that these temps are OK

8. finish updating all your drivers and Win 7, and if you have no more BSODs or crashes, celebrate.

ok can i use rubbing alcohol
!