  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 9, 2005 3:11:30 PM

I wanted to set up a second computer for LAN games of BF1942 and I'm
would like to get some opinions on whether I should make the upgrades in
a effort to make it a passable games machine or just not bother.

It's a Dell Optiplex Pentium III with 384MB of RAM. I use only the
onboard video and it doesn't have 3D support. I bought an ATI 9250
video card but it won't work on the machine. So I know I at least have
to buy a PCI video board.

Any thoughts? Is BF1942 going to work on this machine? If so, what PCI
video board is going to run on it?

Thanks,

HK

More about : pentium iii

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:19:29 PM

In article <tI2dnXAFYto44OLfRVn-uQ@golden.net>, nospam@yaya.ski says...
> I wanted to set up a second computer for LAN games of BF1942 and I'm
> would like to get some opinions on whether I should make the upgrades in
> a effort to make it a passable games machine or just not bother.
>
> It's a Dell Optiplex Pentium III with 384MB of RAM. I use only the
> onboard video and it doesn't have 3D support. I bought an ATI 9250
> video card but it won't work on the machine. So I know I at least have
> to buy a PCI video board.
>
> Any thoughts? Is BF1942 going to work on this machine? If so, what PCI
> video board is going to run on it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> HK

ok for what? hosting the game? probably, but not real hopeful. i'd say
you want to keep windows on it, yes? the machine would probably host LAN
games ok if you ran linux and the linux bf server. with windows, windows
needs to load first. which version of windows? win2k or winxp? they use
quite a bit of Ram. anyway... with linux, there's less ram used to load
up from the start, therefore, more to allocate to programs such as the
bf server.

if you're wanting to play the game on that box, i doubt it's worth the
effort.

/CF
May 9, 2005 4:10:02 PM

Colonel_Flagg wrote:

> ok for what? hosting the game? probably, but not real hopeful. i'd say
> you want to keep windows on it, yes? the machine would probably host LAN
> games ok if you ran linux and the linux bf server. with windows, windows
> needs to load first. which version of windows? win2k or winxp? they use
> quite a bit of Ram. anyway... with linux, there's less ram used to load
> up from the start, therefore, more to allocate to programs such as the
> bf server.

No hosting, just playing. Hosting is done on another machine which is
more capable. And I forgot to mention, the PIII runs Windows XP Pro.
May 9, 2005 6:20:01 PM

HK wrote:
> I wanted to set up a second computer for LAN games of BF1942 and I'm
> would like to get some opinions on whether I should make the upgrades in
> a effort to make it a passable games machine or just not bother.
>
> It's a Dell Optiplex Pentium III with 384MB of RAM. I use only the
> onboard video and it doesn't have 3D support. I bought an ATI 9250
> video card but it won't work on the machine. So I know I at least have
> to buy a PCI video board.
>
> Any thoughts? Is BF1942 going to work on this machine? If so, what PCI
> video board is going to run on it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> HK
no keep this thing as a word processor. new bare bones systems that will
run the game are readily available and at prices in the 600-1000 usd
range. considering the costs and hassle of upgrading that thing a new
bare bones box is a better choice and about the same cost.
Mr. Nemo
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:21:14 PM

HK wrote:
> Colonel_Flagg wrote:
>
>> ok for what? hosting the game? probably, but not real hopeful. i'd say
>> you want to keep windows on it, yes? the machine would probably host
>> LAN games ok if you ran linux and the linux bf server. with windows,
>> windows needs to load first. which version of windows? win2k or winxp?
>> they use quite a bit of Ram. anyway... with linux, there's less ram
>> used to load up from the start, therefore, more to allocate to
>> programs such as the bf server.
>

> No hosting, just playing. Hosting is done on another machine which is
> more capable. And I forgot to mention, the PIII runs Windows XP Pro.
I'm impressed that thing can run winXP pro, bf however is right out.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:22:24 PM

"HK" <nospam@yaya.ski> wrote in message
news:p 6ydnar_1f_9FuLfRVn-og@golden.net...
> Colonel_Flagg wrote:
>
>> ok for what? hosting the game? probably, but not real hopeful. i'd say
>> you want to keep windows on it, yes? the machine would probably host LAN
>> games ok if you ran linux and the linux bf server. with windows, windows
>> needs to load first. which version of windows? win2k or winxp? they use
>> quite a bit of Ram. anyway... with linux, there's less ram used to load
>> up from the start, therefore, more to allocate to programs such as the bf
>> server.
>
> No hosting, just playing. Hosting is done on another machine which is
> more capable. And I forgot to mention, the PIII runs Windows XP Pro.

People with 512 meg of ram complain that it takes too long to load. 300 or
so will be terribly slow to load maps.

You'll need a good video card at the very least as well...

I have seen BF1942 played on a PIII and it worked OK, though you didnt say
if it was a fast one or not. PIII's started at 600 mhz remember. You'll
want a 1.5 ghz or as fast as possbile.

My advice, save your money for a different new el-cheapo machine rather than
upgrading that one.
May 10, 2005 2:07:33 AM

Sparky Polastri wrote:

> People with 512 meg of ram complain that it takes too long to load. 300 or
> so will be terribly slow to load maps.
>
> You'll need a good video card at the very least as well...
>
> I have seen BF1942 played on a PIII and it worked OK, though you didnt say
> if it was a fast one or not. PIII's started at 600 mhz remember. You'll
> want a 1.5 ghz or as fast as possbile.
>
> My advice, save your money for a different new el-cheapo machine rather than
> upgrading that one.

It is a pretty fast machine. I used to do video editing with it and it
was okay except for the final rendering speed.

I also don't consider upgrading to be much hassle. What's it take to
open up a box and stick a video card in?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:04:47 AM

In article <3qadnbCv0Mn-ih3fRVn-rw@golden.net>, nospam@yaya.ski says...
> Sparky Polastri wrote:
> >
> > People with 512 meg of ram complain that it takes too long to load. 300 or
> > so will be terribly slow to load maps.
> >
> > You'll need a good video card at the very least as well...
> >
> > I have seen BF1942 played on a PIII and it worked OK, though you didnt say
> > if it was a fast one or not. PIII's started at 600 mhz remember. You'll
> > want a 1.5 ghz or as fast as possbile.
> >
> > My advice, save your money for a different new el-cheapo machine rather than
> > upgrading that one.
> >

> It is a pretty fast machine. I used to do video editing with it and it
> was okay except for the final rendering speed.
>
> I also don't consider upgrading to be much hassle. What's it take to
> open up a box and stick a video card in?

you may need to "open the box up and replace the motherboard, ram,
processor, video card, etc."

an old p-III isn't for gaming these days.

/CF
May 10, 2005 11:58:06 AM

"Mr. Nemo" <OldChieftain@hotmailSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I'm impressed that thing can run winXP pro, bf however is right out.

I run XP Pro on my parent's Pentium II. And it runs quite well after
performance tweaking. On a PIII, XP Pro is no problem at all.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:59:30 PM

HK wrote:
> "Mr. Nemo" <OldChieftain@hotmailSPAM.com> wrote in message
>

>>I'm impressed that thing can run winXP pro, bf however is right out.
>

> I run XP Pro on my parent's Pentium II. And it runs quite well after
> performance tweaking. On a PIII, XP Pro is no problem at all.

Sigh, I must be losing my nastier side, that was sarcasm not actual
wonderment.
Mr. Nemo
!