Sign in with
Your question

GPU Fan is very Loud

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2013 5:35:45 AM

I have been having some trouble with the fan(s) on my graphics card recently. I have an MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (if that's relevant here). One of the fans is making a lot of noise, in text, I would say it as "jrrrrgh". I have had this problem for a while now, but it usually settled after 5 minutes of turning on my computer. Now to correct it, I have to take up the fan speed for a minute and then turn it back down once it smooths out (but this only fixes it for a short time). I have noticed that the speed starts at ~3000 RPM and then goes up to the proper ~4800 RPM once settled. I have also done a visual inspection and can't observe an unsteadiness or wobble. Is there any chance that it will get back to resolving itself within 5 minutes of booting, or is there a way that I can fix it myself? Or should I invoke the warranty? (and send it to MSI for $12 and wait 3 weeks!? (obviously I'm not excited about this prospect))

More about : gpu fan loud

a c 109 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 5:41:22 AM

MSI Afterburner!

Check temps and adjust fan speed.
January 5, 2013 6:42:17 AM

amuffin said:
MSI Afterburner!

Check temps and adjust fan speed.

That's what I used to take the fan speeds up. And it is by no means the sound of the fans going fast. This is when the system is completely cool and nothing is running.
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 7:21:05 AM

Is the card over heating? Is there any dust? Take a can of compressed air and blow it out. At the most, you're going to have to take the cooler off and reapply thermal paste
January 5, 2013 8:24:46 PM

amuffin said:
Is the card over heating? Is there any dust? Take a can of compressed air and blow it out. At the most, you're going to have to take the cooler off and reapply thermal paste

It is completely clean, and it isn't overheating. (How can it be overheating during the boot and POST?!) As I said, If I use Afterburner to take the fan speed up and then bring it back down, it is fine. I know what my fans sound like when going at 100%. This is not it. Fans don't go "Jrrrgh" in normal circumstances. Nor would overheating cause the fans to, when set to 100%, start out at 3000RPM (making lots of bad noise) for 1+ minutes and then go up to 4800RPM once they have 'leveled' out. An overheating system, although loud, still sounds smooth; this does not.
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 3:35:57 AM

Did you set a custom fan curve?
January 6, 2013 5:33:34 AM

amuffin said:
Did you set a custom fan curve?

Are you read what I am saying?! This is NOT a matter of the speed of the fans; the only part that has to do with speed is when I push the fans to 100% and they eventually stop making so much noise for a period of time.
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:58:21 AM

Have you checked to see if anything is actually stuck IN the fan?
January 6, 2013 7:12:43 AM

I think that would have been pretty hard to miss when performing a visual inspection. Doesn't matter now anyway though. It won't even spin up now. I am RMAing it.
!