New School/Work/Fun

pootklopp

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
First let me say I am new to computer building and am looking to get into it fast. Just from what I have seen on Tom’s so far I know I am going to get some great advice from forum members. At this point I only have my dell laptop that is getting old, so a new system is needed.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 30 days

Budget Range: ~1,500 After Rebates, After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: School/ Video Viewing/Gaming. I will be running Autodesk software (AutoCad, Architectural Desktop, maybe even Maya in the future) and Adobe software. I usually watch videos (streamed or downloaded) to an external TV (hdmi out). Then some gaming on top of that (Day Z Mod, maybe some more)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, some monitor advice would help too.

Parts to Upgrade: New Build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever is cheapest, would prefer newegg/amazon

Parts Preferences: Always been an Intel fan, from what I have seen so far the i5’s are what is being recommended.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Don’t know

Your Monitor Resolution: TBD, monitor advice is also welcome

Additional Comments: New to computer building and just looking for guidance from the good people of Tom’s. I would like the computer to be somewhat upgradeable for the future as I will get a job next summer and be able to spend more on it. I will probably be storing CAD projects on this computer so some additional storage will be needed.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Need something that can smoothly run what I need to run as listed above. Since I am going to be using these programs daily I want them with limited lag, within reason. The projects that I will have running on this computer are not going to be huge design projects usually just student created work.

I have not set my heart on any specific parts yet as I don't want to have to adjust forum recommendations based on my pre determined (less informed) decisions.

Solution
the i7 3770k have more threads which is good for programs in the adobe suite. same with the 16gb as more memory helps too. if it was a gaming build, id get the i5 3570k and 8gb of ram since games dont use too many cores and that 8gb is more than enough for games. the system i put together would still game no problem

here is the link to pcpartpicker
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdPy

as i said before, if you do not plan on doing crossfire in the future, the pc power and cooling mk3 600w is a better choice for the power supply

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
seems like more work than gaming so heres what i would get

i7 3770k
gigabyte z77x-ud3h
cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink
gskill ares 4x4gb 16gb 1600mhz cl9 (newegg)
seagate barracuda 1tb 64mb cache hard drive
smasung 830 128gb SSD
asus 7870 (269.99)
xfx xxx 750w (if you plan on doing some crossfire in the future). if no crossfire, get the pc power and cooling mk3 600w from microcenter
antec 302 case
any DVD burner
windows 7 premium

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
the i7 3770k have more threads which is good for programs in the adobe suite. same with the 16gb as more memory helps too. if it was a gaming build, id get the i5 3570k and 8gb of ram since games dont use too many cores and that 8gb is more than enough for games. the system i put together would still game no problem

here is the link to pcpartpicker
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdPy

as i said before, if you do not plan on doing crossfire in the future, the pc power and cooling mk3 600w is a better choice for the power supply

Solution

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
crossfire is to run dual video cards simultaneously. it usually doubles the performance of the given video card that you are operating. you can only crossfire the same model of GPU (ex. 7870, 7970s). Nvidia has the same thing but its called SLI

the onboard sound is good enough for most people out there. there isnt a real need for that. if you are not satisfied with the onboard stuff, i recommend the asus dx 7.1. but try out the onboard stuff before you make the purchase

pootklopp

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
awesome thank you for the info. I think I would prefer the higher power supply so I could beef up the system in the future if need be, from a cost stand point it seems reasonable to keep in the 750W.

Any recommendations on monitors from personal experience?

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
im using a pa238q r monitor from asus. since you are in the states, you should get the Q model which is better. its a IPS panel. i like it because it is fully adjustable and the Q model has quick fit which can help you scale documents to the right size since it provides a overlay ontop of the document, making it easier to size

if you are looking for something cheaper, the asus vs228h-p is another great choice. out of most TN panels ive been using, it is probably one of the best since it has a slightly wider than normal viewing angle for TN panels and is pretty good with the features. they sell for 140

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
yea its pretty much perfect but id suggest a mechanical keyboard instead of that logitech. mechanical keyboards are so much more durable, more tactile, and just make you type faster (for me, there was a +5-8wpm increase). its not worth pay 60 dollars for a keyboard when you can get one that is much better for 20 more dollars

there are many out there and there are different ones with different switches. might want to research that

pootklopp

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Yeah it does seem to be a great build. Thank you again, I may start buying parts today! I just added that on for the back light. Are there mechanical keyboards with back light?

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
which das do you want? the professional or the ultimate

you could get a razer blackwidow but they have much lower build quality than the das. the das is pretty much indestructible

filco makes great keyboards as well. they do rebrands of all coolermaster keyboard like mine

heres a good one for a decent price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129004

its backlit, uses brown switches, comes with a mousepad, and has a numpad. brown switches are about the same as blue switches except without the click. it has a bump instead so you get a bit of silence and tactile feel

pootklopp

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I am going to hold off on the key board because after some research it looks like Ducky is going to be releasing their 2nd generation back lit key boards "end of aug/ early september" and I have heard they are the best around and fit what I am looking for.

Call me picky but I want a white led back lit with brown or blue switches, with no "gamer" add ons or crazy colors, as I feel my girlfriend will make fun of me : (

So it looks like the build will be this -

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgUP

Can you double check to make sure I have not messes it up at all before I pull the trigger tomorrow. Totaled to $1570.71 after tax and shipping.

TheLittleTroll

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
yeah. the xfx is a single rail unit. i have one myself.

single rail units are just more convenient since you dont have to worry about overloading a rail by drawing too much power from it and for modular psu s like the one i suggested, you can plug in cables into the interface without having to worry of plugging into the wrong one.

the draw back is that overcurrent protection doesnt really exsist since it is very hard to protect a rail that is running at 80a. not too much of a deal

so yeah, stick with mine. it is a much newer design, modular, and it is also more efficent