  • Configuration
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
June 22, 2005 1:01:02 PM

I've tried TweakUI and the group policy editor but still can't suppress
little yellow popups that appear when the mouse cursor hovers over an open
program in the task bar or an icon in the sys tray. They also appear in
various windows on the desktop when you hover on a button or almost anywhere.

Does anyone know how to disable these?

Thanks.

More about : suppress small yellow popups

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:23:16 PM

To disable pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop items

1.. Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
a.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
b.. Double-click Folder Options
.
2.. On the View tab, uncheck the Show pop-up description for folder and
desktop items check box. It is the last item in the list.
Heirloom, old and kinda like the balloons

> I've tried TweakUI and the group policy editor but still can't suppress
> little yellow popups that appear when the mouse cursor hovers over an open
> program in the task bar or an icon in the sys tray. They also appear in
> various windows on the desktop when you hover on a button or almost
> anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know how to disable these?
>
> Thanks.
June 22, 2005 4:23:17 PM

Thanks, but this doesn't suppress them in the taskbar or sys tray.

"Heirloom" wrote:

> To disable pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop items
>
> 1.. Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
> a.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
> b.. Double-click Folder Options
> .
> 2.. On the View tab, uncheck the Show pop-up description for folder and
> desktop items check box. It is the last item in the list.
> Heirloom, old and kinda like the balloons
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried TweakUI and the group policy editor but still can't suppress
> > little yellow popups that appear when the mouse cursor hovers over an open
> > program in the task bar or an icon in the sys tray. They also appear in
> > various windows on the desktop when you hover on a button or almost
> > anywhere.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to disable these?
> >
> > Thanks.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:57:08 PM

> Thanks, but this doesn't suppress them in the taskbar or sys tray.

I suspect you can't disable tooltips entirely.

What you may be able to do though is change the hover delay needed for those
tooltips to show up--if you set it high enough, for all intents and
purposes, you'll never see them again.

I can't find where that delay can be configured, but I do remember seeing it
*somewhere*...try TweakUI...or somebody else might be able to point you in
the right direction if you want to try this approach...
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:30:36 PM

I cannot get rid of Tooltips on my present version of XP Pro and I could
never get rid of them on my previous version of XP Home.

I have changed the background color to white.

Right click Desktop | Properties | Appearances tab |
Advanced button | Item: Tooltip |
Color 1: is back ground color
Color: is font color

Change the duration.

Balloon Tooltips duration

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
ify
Value Name: BalloonTip
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0x00000003 (3)

Value Data is Hexadecimal

3 = 3 seconds
5 = 5 seconds
et cetera

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:04FC90DA-6F50-4609-B2AA-C8A7269A720F@microsoft.com,
Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, but this doesn't suppress them in the taskbar or sys tray.
>
> "Heirloom" wrote:
>
>> To disable pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop items
>>
>> 1.. Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
>> a.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
>> b.. Double-click Folder Options
>> .
>> 2.. On the View tab, uncheck the Show pop-up description for folder and
>> desktop items check box. It is the last item in the list.
>> Heirloom, old and kinda like the balloons
>>

>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've tried TweakUI and the group policy editor but still can't suppress
>>> little yellow popups that appear when the mouse cursor hovers over an
>>> open program in the task bar or an icon in the sys tray. They also
>>> appear in various windows on the desktop when you hover on a button or
>>> almost anywhere.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to disable these?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:09:34 PM

Hi Paul,

Taskbar Pop-up descriptions (or tool tips) for open programs can not
be removed.

Quick Launch icon Pop-up descriptions (or tool tips) can not be
removed either, however they can be changed.
To change pop-up descriptions (or tool tips) for icons on the Quick
Launch toolbar:
Right click on each icon in the Quick Launch toolbar and select
properties.
Look at comments on the shortcut tab and change or delete the text.
On the General tab, the text in the box at the top can be changed, but
not deleted.
The font size, font color, and background color can also be changed.
To change the font size of pop-up descriptions for Taskbar Icons:
Right click on the Desktop and select properties.
Click the Appearance tab - Advanced Button.
Select Tooltips from the Items dropdown box and adjust the font size
and background color.

How to remove pop-up descriptions (tool tips) from desktop icons:
Open My Computer
Click Tools - Folder Options - View tab, and uncheck this option:
"Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items"

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"Paul" wrote
> I've tried TweakUI and the group policy editor but still can't
> suppress
> little yellow pop-up that appear when the mouse cursor hovers over
> an open
> program in the task bar or an icon in the sys tray. They also
> appear in
> various windows on the desktop when you hover on a button or almost
> anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know how to disable these?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:20:31 PM

Hi Paul,

You may download and run this edit:

Disable Balloon tips or disable all (line 11, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org