Black Screen Of Death Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpurePhoen1x

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

I've been getting a black screen on my laptop for about 2 days now. It boots to the Windows 7 Splash Screen then all i get is a blank screen. Out of about 30 or 40 boots I've been able to boot successfully to the desktop twice. I can boot into safe mode just fine and I've tried repairing, restoring to a point from a month ago, the previx fix, scanning for malware, etc. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any advice or information needed?

Solution
There's no switchable graphics. In fact I don't even see IGP on the cpu. Just Radeon mobility 5730.

Data sheet.

Drivers and downloads HERE.

Series HERE.

Honestly, I think the card is defective. Works with generic Windows drivers but as soon as the AMD official drivers hit the card, BAM! No display.

Should contact Lenovo... I have plenty of experience with them and, for the most part, they're good (If you get someone that speaks English, that is if you yourself speak English) HERE.

RussK1

Splendid

System specs would be greatly appreciated.

ImpurePhoen1x

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Sure thing

Processor Intel Core i7 i7-720QM / 1.6 GHz
Max Turbo Speed 2.8 GHz
Number of Cores Quad-Core
Cache L3 cache - 6.0 MB
64-bit Computing Yes
Front Side Bus 1333.0 MHz
Chipset Mobile Intel HM55 Express
Features Intel Turbo Boost Technology,
Hyper-Threading Technology,
Integrated memory controller

Memory

RAM 4.0 GB ( 2 x 2 GB )
Max RAM Supported 8.0 GB
Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Speed 1066.0 MHz / PC3-8500
Form Factor SO DIMM 204-pin
Slots Qty 2
Empty Slots 0.0

Storage

Floppy Drive None
Hard Drive 500.0 GB HDD / 5400.0 rpm
Interface Serial ATA-300
Storage Removable None
Optical Drive DVD-Writer
Optical Drive (2nd) None
Hard drive type Portable

Display

Type 15.6 in
LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
Max Resolution 1366 x 768 ( HD )
Widescreen Yes
Features Glossy,
VibrantView,
Ambient light sensor

Audio & Video

Graphics Processor ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 - 1.0 GB
Sound Stereo microphone
Codec Realtek ALC272
Compliant Standards High Definition Audio,
Dolby Home Theater

Input

Type Keyboard,
Touchpad
Features Volume control,
Multi-touch touchpad

Communications

Wireless Bluetooth 2.1 EDR,
802.11 a/b/g/n
Wireless Controller Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
Network Interface Gigabit Ethernet

Battery

Technology 6-cell Lithium ion
Installed Qty 1.0
Run Time 3.0 hour(s)

AC Adapter

Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Connections & Expansion

Expansion Bays None
Slots 1.0 x ExpressCard/34 ( 1.0 free )
Interfaces 3 x Headphone/SPDIF combo jack,
Microphone input,
VGA,
USB 2.0,
USB 2.0/eSATA,
HDMI,
LAN

Memory Card Reader 6 in 1 card reader ( SD Memory Card ),
( Memory Stick PRO ),
( Memory Stick ),
( MultiMediaCard ),
( xD-Picture Card )

RussK1

Splendid
Boot into Safe Mode with networking.
1) Open the start menu and right click "computer" and left click "manage".
2) Left click "device manager" and double left click "display adapters".
3) Right click "Radeon Drivers" and uninstall.
4) Download Driver Sweeper here.
5) Download Catalyst 12.6 mobility drivers HERE but don't install.
6) Custom uninstall AMD software through "Programs and Features" via "Control Panel"and select everything and reboot.
7) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.

Direct link to driver page HERE.

ImpurePhoen1x

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Quick Question before I attempt this. I had tried to install Catalyst 12.6 earlier, but in Safe Mode it gave a "failed to load detection drive" error. Would I still encounter this problem if I delete my current drivers?

RussK1

Splendid
Sorry it got past my bedtime.

Interesting... hmm, I'm kinda stumped. It's stable in safe mode right? If so, it has to be a virus, drivers or something with the file system. Have you made any backups? You could restore from the backup or-

Read → THIS.

Kaspersky Virus Removal tool HERE.

Malwarebytes HERE.

ImpurePhoen1x

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I ran scans and deleted temp files, no malware. It's interesting since without the AMD display drivers I could boot to the desktop successfully, but once CCC was installed the problem came back. So i'm thinking it has to be the drivers. And yes I do but apparently it only covers hardware, I'd have to pay for software related problems

RussK1

Splendid
I'm thinking the GPU is dead or at least defective... in safe mode or windows with no drivers the card stays in low power mode but with drivers the full functionality of the card is used and this is where the problems are.

Honestly, I would try for replacement as you shouldn't be having these problems.

ImpurePhoen1x

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
OK, for the hell of it I did another cleaning of the AMD drivers and now I'm actually able to boot successfully to the desktop. But when I check my display settings, I see two different options. The regular mobile PC display that is the default, and other that says "Available Display Output on: ATI Mobility Raedon 5730" which I've never seen before.

theinfiniti

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
You have switchable graphics most likely, and there lies your problem. I'd suggest to use the drivers from your manufacturer and not those from AMD, as AMD is not too notorious with their support for switchable graphics. Try to download the drivers from your manufacturer and clean out the old ones.

RussK1

Splendid
There's no switchable graphics. In fact I don't even see IGP on the cpu. Just Radeon mobility 5730.

Data sheet.

Drivers and downloads HERE.

Series HERE.

Honestly, I think the card is defective. Works with generic Windows drivers but as soon as the AMD official drivers hit the card, BAM! No display.

Should contact Lenovo... I have plenty of experience with them and, for the most part, they're good (If you get someone that speaks English, that is if you yourself speak English) HERE.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS