Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Upgrade Failure? Why?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2013 10:47:00 AM

Upgraded precision 390 from core 2 duo e6300 to e7400. Something very weird happened. Used same cooler and arctic silver paste. CPUs are same TDP, socket, l2 cache, both 1066mhz EVERYTHING is the same except for clock speed. Heres what happened. I plugged it in and it turned on automatically. It sounded like it was running and the fan at highest speed but nothing would appear on the monitor. Checked all connections. Put the e6300 back in and it fired up normally. CPU looks good but could be bad? Can anyone tell me what happened?

Need a quick response cuz the return period is about to close.

More about : cpu upgrade failure

January 5, 2013 11:20:19 AM

what is your motherboard ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2013 11:25:23 AM

Update BIOS with old CPU installed before upgrading
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 11:44:25 AM

Dell 0DN075 stock board in a Precision 390.

Sounds like I need to update the Bios?
I will google on how to... But if anyone wants to give me tips on how to that would be great as I have never done that before.

I did not look at the code lights... Didnt know there were any.. I'll look next time.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2013 12:01:28 PM

Yep bios up date, so the board can understand what chip it is, Saying that its a dell OdNo75
Not to sound to bad, but when it comes to bios updates, firmware. you may hit a wall, or not since it will be a propriety board, most likely contracted out to some company to make it cheap as possible with little upgrade ability, or upgrade options for extra hardware.
speaking from personal experience dealing with these system type builds of course.
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:09:42 PM

Not at home so I can't see what version BIOS I have.
But I looked on Dell's website and they have 2 updates listed.
I'll check into it extensively when I get home and post the results if I try.

Thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2013 12:36:39 PM

Factory builds are often very unforgiving when it comes to custom upgrades. Just hope that BIOS update will fix it.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:11:22 AM

Bios update was good but it did not solve the problem...
LED lights showing were 1,3,4. That indicates hardware incompatability.
I dont understand. People have put the Q series Core 2 Duos in this machine and I cant even put a e7xxx in?
Any more idea????
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:58:43 PM

The problem is, that every single cpu model needs to be in the bios list. There is in fact nothing generic for a series. That's why the HP specs clearly say "selected models" are supported. Sounds like bad luck here.
January 6, 2013 8:19:49 PM

Best answer selected by DrJack6.
m
l
!