Sign in with
Your question

Need new gaming HTPC. Need help determining parts.

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 7:33:41 PM

Hey guys:

I am interested in building an HTPC for some gaming. Not necessarily the highest settings but enough to be comparable to my XBOX 360. I want to get rid of the XBOX 360 for some spare cash. I am currently a grad student so money is a little low, but I desperately need a server and an HTPC to keep me mildly entertained. I wanted to go for an A8 build that was Mini-ITX, but am afraid of heat and power issues. Here is what I have got so far.

AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD

LITE-ON Black Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo SATA Model ihes112-04 - OEM

Western Digital 2 TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive

MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

If anyone could help get a cheaper or similar price build, I would greatly appreciate it.
August 21, 2012 7:37:50 PM

A little more information would be appreciated :) 

What is your budget? And what country do you live in? Also one last thing, what city are you located in? (to see if there's any MicroCenters near you if you're in the US :)  )
m
l
August 21, 2012 7:42:58 PM

I live in the US around Williamsburg, VA. I think the nearest MicroCenter is in Fairfax. I would say my budget is roughly 400-450. I am less interested in gaming really, but I do play occasionally. I would say that an XBOX 360 on Ebay would get me maybe 100-150 dollars. If it is cheaper to simply build a media machine for 100-150 cheaper and keep the XBOX 360 for gaming that would be acceptable also, but I am leaning towards the one machine style.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 8:07:04 PM

After some thinking, your build is actually very modest for your intended use. I'm a little concerned about your graphics horsepower, however.

I'm concerned about your GPU if you add in a dedicated card, so I will recommend three things -

Intel Pentium G620 CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock H77M ITX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Radeon HD7750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

After some looking around on prices, if you swap out your current CPU/Mobo combination with this, I think the total price should be around ~$430 USD.

The HD7750 will yield much better performance than the Integrated 3870k GPU and the CPU will most likely smack around the A8 in every aspect due to the nature of the Architecture.

The CPU and GPU I have listed will only use 65w and 55w respectively, which should leave you plenty of headroom on your PSU (don't want to push it too much).

If my math was wrong and this is significantly most expensive, then I apologise and sticking with your current configuration may be the better choice.

**EDIT**
Actually after some thought, what resolution is your TV? If it's 720p, I have wasted your time with this post, your current rig will do perfectly fine. However, you may want to beef up your RAM as the APU's are hungry for fast RAM ;) 
m
l
August 21, 2012 8:29:57 PM

It is only about 70 dollars more expensive. Does anyone know the gaming performance of the machine? I have a 1080p television.
m
l
!