Solved

Help needed selecting the right power supply.

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to build a computer with the following components.

1) AMD Athlon™ II X2 270 - http://www.frys.com/product/6755375
2) MSI 870U-G55 AMD 770 AM3 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - http://www.frys.com/product/6592413
3) DDR3 4GB PC1600MHz DUAL - http://www.frys.com/product/6047968
4) Coolmax 600W 140mm Smart Fan ATX Power Supply with single PCI-E - V-600 - http://www.frys.com/product/5919434

I need to connect upto 4 SATA 3.5 HDD's. Is the power supply mentioned above be sufficient enough for this? If not then what would you recommend with the lowest amount of power requirement and should work at both 115/230 modes.

Thank You
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help needed selecting power supply
  1. TapDance said:
    Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to build a computer with the following components.

    1) AMD Athlon™ II X2 270 - http://www.frys.com/product/6755375
    2) MSI 870U-G55 AMD 770 AM3 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - http://www.frys.com/product/6592413
    3) DDR3 4GB PC1600MHz DUAL - http://www.frys.com/product/6047968
    4) Coolmax 600W 140mm Smart Fan ATX Power Supply with single PCI-E - V-600 - http://www.frys.com/product/5919434

    I need to connect upto 4 SATA 3.5 HDD's. Is the power supply mentioned above be sufficient enough for this? If not then what would you recommend with the lowest amount of power requirement and should work at both 115/230 modes.

    Thank You


    Hi - A quality 600w unit is more than enough,(assuming one GPU) however Coolmax is
    a terrible brand of PSU(one of the worst). You need to find another unit.

    Quality brand PSU's: Seasonic, XFX, PC P&Cooling, most Corsair's, most Antec's,
    Rosewill Capstone series, Enermax, & a few others.

    Tom
  2. Thank you for your suggestion Tom, however will a similar PS from any other manufacturer support 4 SATA 3.5 inch HDD's?

    The specs on this one are as follows

    Specification Value
    Type: ATX
    Wattage: 600
    PFC: No
    80 Plus: No
    SLI: No
    Crossfire: No
    Modular: No
    +3.3V: 24
    +5V: 24
    Number of +12V Rails: 3
    +12V 1: 18
    +12V 2: 18
    +12V 3: 15
    +12V 4:
    +12V 5:
    +12V 6:
    +12V 7:
    +12V 8:
    Motherboard Connector: 20 + 4 Pin
    15 Pin SATA: 3
    4 Pin Molex: 3
    4 Pin + 12V: 1
    6 Pin PCI-Express: 1
    6 + 2 Pin (8) PCI-Express:
    8 Pin PCI-Express:
    8 Pin EPS 12V:
    4 Pin Floppy Connector: 1
    HP Video 4 Pin:
    Aux 6 Pin:
    Dell 6 Pin:
    Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.9 x 3.3
  3. 3 PSU's from 450-550watt that all will be sufficient for your system, what size you need would be based on what graphics card you use.
    http://www.frys.com/product/6908647?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    http://www.frys.com/product/7498185?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    http://www.frys.com/product/6778935?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  4. Best answer
    TapDance said:
    Thank you for your suggestion Tom, however will a similar PS from any other manufacturer support 4 SATA 3.5 inch HDD's?

    The specs on this one are as follows

    Specification Value
    Type: ATX
    Wattage: 600
    PFC: No
    80 Plus: No
    SLI: No
    Crossfire: No
    Modular: No
    +3.3V: 24
    +5V: 24
    Number of +12V Rails: 3
    +12V 1: 18
    +12V 2: 18
    +12V 3: 15
    +12V 4:
    +12V 5:
    +12V 6:
    +12V 7:
    +12V 8:
    Motherboard Connector: 20 + 4 Pin
    15 Pin SATA: 3
    4 Pin Molex: 3
    4 Pin + 12V: 1
    6 Pin PCI-Express: 1
    6 + 2 Pin (8) PCI-Express:
    8 Pin PCI-Express:
    8 Pin EPS 12V:
    4 Pin Floppy Connector: 1
    HP Video 4 Pin:
    Aux 6 Pin:
    Dell 6 Pin:
    Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.9 x 3.3


    Hi again - Yes, most modern PSU's (all the quality one's) will have the necessary qty of
    SATA connectors, and PCI-E connectors(at least one 6pin & 1 6+2pin, all the other
    things are in pretty much all PSU's. Don't be concerned with the # of +12v rails,
    in fact 1 +12v rail is probably superior to multiple rails.

    Tom

    BTW, I think the 2nd link rolli listed is the best value.
  5. Thank you Tom & Rolli59, really appreciate the help!!
  6. Best answer selected by TapDance.
  7. TapDance said:
    Best answer selected by TapDance.

    n
    nBest of luck with your rig!
  8. Hey Tom,
    I have found a functional Power Supply from an old ATX tower PC. http://www.itwinkle.com/hp46posu51.html

    Can i use this Power Supply with the following Micro-ATX MB
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A55M-P33.html
  9. TapDance said:
    Hey Tom,
    I have found a functional Power Supply from an old ATX tower PC. http://www.itwinkle.com/hp46posu51.html

    Can i use this Power Supply with the following Micro-ATX MB
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A55M-P33.html


    Hi - I can't vouch for the condition of the PSU, but it does have
    the right connectors to work with modern mother boards.
    Give it a try, Psu's are easy to remove and install.

    However, it has only 1 6pin PCI-E connector, and no peripheral(Molex)
    connectors. So, you might need to get a GPU that only requires
    1 - 6pin. However, there might be adapters avail to convert
    some of the IDE cables, I'm not sure tho.

    Tom

    OK - IDE to molex adapters do exist. You may not need any, depending
    on your GPU choice. I use molex connectors to power a couple of
    fans in place of the motherboard fan connectors. Here again, if
    you select a gpu that requires more than one pci-e connector
    you get a molex to pci-e adapter, if you already have an IDE
    to molex.

    IDE to PCI-E adapters are actually plug in controllers, and that becomes
    a more expensive proposition, and here again you may not need
    it.

    So, if you get a gpu that requires only 1 6pin connector, then you need not
    be concerned with any of the above.
  10. Hi Tom, Thank you again for a very detailed response. I am however trying to avoid the GPU issue by using this APU

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DLP6JA/ref=gno_cart_title_2

    What do you think?
  11. TapDance said:
    Hi Tom, Thank you again for a very detailed response. I am however trying to avoid the GPU issue by using this APU

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DLP6JA/ref=gno_cart_title_2

    What do you think?


    Hi again - as long as you're not going to get into PC gaming then
    processor based graphics will be OK. I used integrated
    graphics for 3.5 month's before I got a GPU (had to get a decent PSU 1st).

    If you are going to get into gaming then you will need a discrete
    graphics card. Many good ones require only 1 - 6 pin connector.
  12. Agree, i want to build a very cheap home server and connect upto 4 HDD's. I think this will serve me nicely. Gaming is furthest from my mind for now!!

    Thank You for everything Tom!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies AMD Components