Patch internet through a computer to a second device

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I don't have a router but I need to provide internet to two devices. I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard and a Linksys ethernet PCI card. Is there any way I can connect the Internet to my motherboard, and then provide internet to my second device via the PCI card? If so, how would I do this?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the response. I'll look for more information about ICS. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Is this a complicated process? Does the first computer have to be on to have internet on the second device?

The first computer has to be on, what would the second PC connect to if it was not? It would be like leaving a key for a lock for someone, inside the locked room.

Just look up ICS for Windows 7 in a web search, will find instructions, not too hard.

You'd be better off buying a 40 dollar router though, get more security, speed, and don't need to keep one computer on all the time.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah, I may end up just buying a router. The second device is my TV. I wanted to just hook up internet through my computer to the TV, but I don't want to have to leave my computer on when I want to use internet on the TV.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll probably try to hook it up through ICS just to try it out.