Closed Solved

What would you get, 7950 or 7970

I think I've seen ALL the reviews of these two card online, and i have come to the same problem i've been when getting any type of hardware haha, i cant decide, but this time the question is pretty simple, i was thinking on saving for a 7970 lighting edition from msi because its all custom made, but all brands and cards seem to get to the same level of overclocking and performance, then the 7950, with its current price i could get it immediately but im not sure haha, that why im asking the community that has been helping me since i started to take interest in pc gaming and hardware.

The final question is which brand would you recommend me to get either if its the 7970 or the 7950, i believe that for a single 1920x1200 resolution wither will be fine, but my problem is that i need to hear opinions form people that now about the subject too

Any comment or help will be appreciated!!!
36 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what 7950 7970
  1. MSI TF4 670 :P
  2. akamrcrack said:
    MSI TF4 670 :P


    i cant just ignore my crossfire capaple motherboard haha, thats why amd is my only way to go right now, it will give me more options for upgrade in the future
  3. The 7950 is a bit of a paper tiger. At its stock settings it's not sufficiently differentiated from the 7870. Right now the 7970 is on par with the 680 across the board when using the 12.7 drivers and tends to beat it at ultra high resolutions.
  4. if i didn't have my 7950 and had to choose now, i'd get a saphire 7950. first, thing, it is true if atdefault the 7950 isn't that much faster then a 7870. but, it's only 5 percent slower then the 7970 at equal clocks, so if you overclcok it your really getting 7970 performance at a lower cost.

    the downside is most 7950s don't reach the 1100+ mhz speeds very well but anything lower is very doable. that the only plus for the 7970 to me.
  5. or i might get a gtx 670...... im confused XD haha
  6. i am not sure but i think 7970 beats gtx 680 at ultra high settings because it have 3GB frame buffer
  7. megagabobe1 said:
    or i might get a gtx 670...... im confused XD haha


    all three cards are great cards, a 670 is the best right out of the box for the price, but both 7970 and 7950 are just as good.

    also is your MOBO sli compatible. all boards with 2 or more PCIE slots well be crossfire from what i know, so if your board is only crossfire and you see duel GPU setup down the road stay with amd. if it's sli compatible then i'd get two 670's for it.
  8. the standard reference hd 7970 are as low as $440, do you guys recommend getting a reference version??
  9. Noisy.
  10. so then, gtx 670 or sapphire hd 7970
  11. megagabobe1 said:
    the standard reference hd 7970 are as low as $440, do you guys recommend getting a reference version??


    unless you have bad case airflow a reference design is generally hotter and loader. i'd suggest either
    this 7950
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102991

    or 7970
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982
  12. From what I understand, a 7970 costs more, performs about the same, but, sounds a bit quieter, takes less power, and provides for OC headroom.

    It's whether or not you believe the lower temps, sound and higher OC headroom is worth the extra money for the 7970.
  13. the 7970 without a question, OC's like a beast run a little cooler than the 670 and 680.. I have to run a custom fan curve on my 680's so it wont hit 80 degrees, once than fan reaches 85% the 680 gets pretty loud. with Catalyst 12.7 and all that OC headrom the 7970 pulls a way in a majority of test.
  14. Id get the 7970. It is a beast of a card especially if youre going to overclock it. They all seem to overclock really well and really come to life. That is actually the card Im in the process of saving up for. Cant wait to play Metro at 60 fps on max. :D
  15. axe1592 said:
    Id get the 7970. It is a beast of a card especially if youre going to overclock it. They all seem to overclock really well and really come to life. That is actually the card Im in the process of saving up for. Cant wait to play Metro at 60 fps on max. :D



    Yeah my rig is SLI GTX 680 OC @ 1240 core right now where its stable cant go higher . My brother's xfire HD7970 @ 1300/1650, voltage 1.287v !! These new binned 7970GHZ should go higher
  16. it hink im going to get http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11197-01-40G/dp/B007JGARVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341275323&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+7970 better go top of the line so that i really feel the upgrade, amd im looking at the possibility of having 3 monitors, so 3gb of vram seems like the best option, thx every one for their answers, you really help me decide, im really bad with choosing stuff when there are too many options XD
  17. what is your motherboard? Ah, nevermind, if you are going to have a multi-monitor setup then definitely go with AMD for the 3gb vram.
  18. Delirious788 said:
    what is your motherboard?


    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
  19. 7970. get the sapphire dual-x for single card, performance it gets close enough to the msi lightning without costing so much extra. you don't need that extra bit of overclocking headroom from the lightning for everyday use anyway

    for crossfire considerations, get the lightning. it's more structurally stable and a 2-slot card. which is much better for crossfiring

    see my thread here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=359755&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
  20. the Ghz edition has different firmware that when paired with the new CCC drivers really shine.
    -Bruce
  21. megagabobe1 said:
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula

    Dang, you are quick on the reply, haha.
  22. vmem said:
    7970. get the sapphire dual-x for single card, performance it gets close enough to the msi lightning without costing so much extra. you don't need that extra bit of overclocking headroom from the lightning for everyday use anyway

    for crossfire considerations, get the lightning. it's more structurally stable and a 2-slot card. which is much better for crossfiring

    see my thread here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=359755&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0


    most likely i willñ stay with just one card for a good amount of time since they seem capable of even gaming in 3 monitors with good settings, so i think ill stay with the sapphire one
  23. Delirious788 said:
    Dang, you are quick on the reply, haha.

    haha i guess
  24. Personally I would get the 670

    and then a 2nd later

    I went with the vanilla evga gtx 670s they is noice with the high flow brackets and I ordered backplates for them ^__^

    I would have gotten the MSI TF4's but I already have the TF3 6950 2GB in CF and wanted to go with an all out the back exhaust.
  25. akamrcrack said:
    Personally I would get the 670

    and then a 2nd later

    I went with the vanilla evga gtx 670s they is noice with the high flow brackets and I ordered backplates for them ^__^

    I would have gotten the MSI TF4's but I already have the TF3 6950 2GB in CF and wanted to go with an all out the back exhaust.


    the thing is my i only have crossfire
  26. megagabobe1 said:
    most likely i willñ stay with just one card for a good amount of time since they seem capable of even gaming in 3 monitors with good settings, so i think ill stay with the sapphire one


    are you actually considering/doing 3 monitor gaming? if so then the 7970 wins out over the 670 due to the wider memory bus and 3GB of memory. in which case I would get the sapphire as I stated above (or msi lightning for crossfire ease)
  27. JackNaylorPE said:


    i cant find it on amazon so its not an option
  28. vmem said:
    are you actually considering/doing 3 monitor gaming? if so then the 7970 wins out over the 670 due to the wider memory bus and 3GB of memory. in which case I would get the sapphire as I stated above (or msi lightning for crossfire ease)


    there should be no problem with my motherboard, so ill get that one cause they seem to handle better extreme settings
  29. megagabobe1 said:
    there should be no problem with my motherboard, so ill get that one cause they seem to handle better extreme settings


    sounds good m8t. here's hoping you get a higher performer than mine :bounce: (not to say that mine's bad 1110mhz on stock voltage's nothing to scoff at lol)
  30. vmem said:
    sounds good m8r. here's hoping you get a higher performer than mine :bounce: (not to say that mine's bad 1110mhz on stock voltage's nothing to scoff at lol)


    just need to get the card over 1ghz and with the new drivers it actually beats the 680 in half of the benchmarks
  31. megagabobe1 said:
    just need to get the card over 1ghz and with the new drivers it actually beats the 680 in half of the benchmarks


    just a note, check your stock voltages when you get the card. the 28nm processes have been getting better, and AMD has been adjusting down stock voltages (lowest I've heard is 1.09V). mine was from an early batch with 1.17V. anyway, if your card has trouble hitting 1ghz it'll most likely be the voltages

    oh, and the sapphire card is already at 1ghz on bios 2
  32. vmem said:
    just a note, check your stock voltages when you get the card. the 28nm processes have been getting better, and AMD has been adjusting down stock voltages (lowest I've heard is 1.09V). mine was from an early batch with 1.17V. anyway, if your card has trouble hitting 1ghz it'll most likely be the voltages

    oh, and the sapphire card is already at 1ghz on bios 2


    THX for the info you really helped me, and you actually own the card haha
  33. Best answer
    megagabobe1 said:
    THX for the info you really helped me, and you actually own the card haha


    yes and you can tell I'm a happy owner (granted I paid $550 for the card the day it came out in March... but that's another story)
  34. Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
  35. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hardware Graphics Product