Sign in with
Your question

Multi GPU (670/560ti 448) For Folding...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2012 10:22:26 PM

...Is it possible?

Basically, I just brought a Asus GTX 670 today and have it installed, but I am unsure on whether I want to bother selling the old card - a Asus GTX 560ti 448 Core.

Could I install the Asus GTX 560ti 448 into the second PCIE slot and use it independently from the 670? Would it be possible to use the 670, the 560ti 448 and my i7 2600K all at the same time for some pretty powerful Folding performance? Could the 560ti also be used for Physx?

Basically, I like the idea of having all that power in my system. Any ideas on whether the things I said would work? And an ideas on any other possible uses?

I am not sure if my power supply would be enough, I am running a gold rated 720W PSU, could that power the 670, the 560 and my overclocked 4.3 i7 2600k?

Cheers
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 2, 2012 11:12:11 PM

your PSU is definately enough for both cards. the 670 is pretty power efficient and raws about the same or a little less than the 560ti.

I know you can designate the 560ti as a dedicated physX card. I'm not sure about folding
July 7, 2012 8:22:56 PM

I have the same question essentially, just ordered a gigabyte gtx 670, just wondering if it's worth it to use my Evga 560 ti for physx? Not for folding, just bf3 and such. I've seen the question asked in other places and googled it; but never any definite answer.
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 7, 2012 9:05:35 PM

bennny said:
...Is it possible?

Basically, I just brought a Asus GTX 670 today and have it installed, but I am unsure on whether I want to bother selling the old card - a Asus GTX 560ti 448 Core.

Could I install the Asus GTX 560ti 448 into the second PCIE slot and use it independently from the 670? Would it be possible to use the 670, the 560ti 448 and my i7 2600K all at the same time for some pretty powerful Folding performance? Could the 560ti also be used for Physx?

Basically, I like the idea of having all that power in my system. Any ideas on whether the things I said would work? And an ideas on any other possible uses?

I am not sure if my power supply would be enough, I am running a gold rated 720W PSU, could that power the 670, the 560 and my overclocked 4.3 i7 2600k?

Cheers

I'd say it was a yes to all the above but it might be wise to do a stress/power draw test on the bits separately just to make sure the PSU can handle it.
July 9, 2012 8:09:50 AM

steven467 said:
I have the same question essentially, just ordered a gigabyte gtx 670, just wondering if it's worth it to use my Evga 560 ti for physx? Not for folding, just bf3 and such. I've seen the question asked in other places and googled it; but never any definite answer.

From what I have read, it seems there are only a handful of games that use Physx - Bf3 not included. For my use, I'm not sure the benefits would justify the extra electricity. Although, if it were possible to SLI different Nvidia cards, I would definitely be keeping it. That would be a great feature, it they could make that work one day, however unlikely.

I guess I'll sell the 560ti 448, could probably pick up an extra SSD with the cash, or perhaps spend it on someting un-related to computers for once! :D 

By the way, you will love the GTX670, it's a beast. I have the ASUS Direct CUII version, and with the fan set to a constant 70% (which you cannot hear at all above the two Gentle Typhoon AP-15's in my case), the maximum temperature I have seen so far is around 63-64c, with everything set to ultra on BF3, 24 multiplayer and a overclock of 70mhz on the core. It doesnt even break a sweat!

:D 
!