Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Solved] Upgrading Phenom II x4 840

Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2013 12:36:05 PM

Hello,

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 840 CPU that I am about to use in a new HTPC build. This CPU was originally bought for use in a mid-Tower PC to be mated to a Gigabyte 880GM-D2H motherboard, but I decided to shelve it in favor of an AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition, instead.

The reason for changing my mind about using the Phenom II X4 840, then, had to do with its low L2 cache specification that I'd overlooked during my purchasing decision.

But now that I want to put it to another use - to be matched with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro-ATX AMD 760 motherboard for my HTPC build - I am wondering if the performance limitation of the L2 cache of this CPU will be a drawback that could be compensated by using more RAM, and without over-clocking ? I am considering using 8 GBs for streaming movies. Is this much memory more than would otherwise be considered reasonable for an HTPC ? Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
January 5, 2013 12:51:33 PM

For a HTPC you will not need to worry about the cache, I would go with 8GB anyway just because on a 64bit OS and price wise it is the sweet spot.
January 21, 2013 5:18:53 AM

rolli59 said:
For a HTPC you will not need to worry about the cache, I would go with 8GB anyway just because on a 64bit OS and price wise it is the sweet spot.

Hello Rolli59,

Thank you so much for your help, and PLEASE forgive my slow and very late followup! I want you to know that your advice was well taken, and I certainly appreciate it. In hindsight I can now better understand the relationship between cache and RAM, and this will help me a lot in future buying choices.
m
l
January 21, 2013 5:19:44 AM

Best answer selected by Roger_Tech.
m
l
!