Making the XFX Pro 750w silent

Hi, I have had my XFX Pro 750w PSU for a while now, a year I believe. And the amount of noise the fan makes drives me crazy after a while and I was wondering what fan I could change it too.
I want a fan that moves a decent amount of air but is also pretty much silent. The rest of the components in my system are nice and quiet, it's just the PSU that makes all the noise. Just to be clear, the fan I want to change is the one IN the PSU itself so I need to know what connection it is. I already know that the fan itself is 135 x 135 x 25 mm according to XFX's website.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)
10 answers Last reply
More about making 750w silent
  1. That PSU was reviewed by JohnnyGuru who wrote in the Hot Testing page "It was this set of tests that told me the platform was starting to show some strain by the 750W level. The fan got a little audible. It was never what I would call loud, just... there." Is yours behaving like that or is the fan always running full speed?
  2. I will advise against replacing the fan. First of all it is going to void your 5 year warranty. If it really is abnormally loud you should check with XFX on warranty.
  3. @GhislainG The fan is very audible all the time, almost like its running 100% all the time. It has done this since I had it but I just never got around to doing anything about it.
    @rolli59 I know for sure I want to replace the fan as I have already contacted XFX and they said get in contact with the seller (the unit was bought brand new from a top rated seller on ebay) so I did and they basically said there was nothing they could do and I can't afford to get a quieter one, plus I don't mind about the warranty so all I want to know is what fan connection the PSU uses (2-pin or 3-pin I assume) and what would be a good choice for a fan that would move a lot of air and be near enough silent. Like I said before the fan size is 135 x 135 x 25 mm

    Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. ;)
  4. Well the PSU fan connection is different than a case fan but really it is a case fan with a different connector. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998%20600112105&IsNodeId=1&name=135mm then all you have to do is swap the connector.
  5. What about this fan?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WCHP64/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0F41TE6MRSY12353VTAQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294
    The fan looks decent and quiet but it looks like the fan is 135mm and the connection is 120mm.
    Also can you expand on how the connections work inside the PSU?
  6. Quote:
    @GhislainG The fan is very audible all the time, almost like its running 100% all the time. It has done this since I had it but I just never got around to doing anything about it.
    Then the PSU is defective as it shouldn't run the fan at full speed unless it's under heavy load. I'm a bit surprised XFX didn't ask you to RMA it.
  7. Europe RMA is strictly handled through retailer for 2 years I believe (it is the law). That fan on Amazon is the one I would have chosen out of my link.
  8. There is a two pin fan header on the PSU's main circuit board where the cooling fan's +12V power connector plugs into.

    The black wire goes to GND and the red wire to +12V.

    The rated airflow of the ADDA ADN512UB-A90, that XFX uses, in your PSU is 84 CFM @ +12V.

    You need a replacement fan with a rated airflow of 84 CFM or greater at +12 Volts or you'll risk overheating of the PSU.

    The Zalman ZM-F4 135mm Multipurpose Fan, that you've linked to, doesn't have the proper mounting hole spacing and airflow rating (i.e. it only has a maximum of 72.1 CFM at +12 Volts).
  9. ko888 said:
    There is a two pin fan header on the PSU's main circuit board where the cooling fan's +12V power connector plugs into.

    The black wire goes to GND and the red wire to +12V.

    The rated airflow of the ADDA ADN512UB-A90, that XFX uses, in your PSU is 84 CFM @ +12V.

    You need a replacement fan with a rated airflow of 84 CFM or greater at +12 Volts or you'll risk overheating of the PSU.

    The Zalman ZM-F4 135mm Multipurpose Fan, that you've linked to, doesn't have the proper mounting hole spacing and airflow rating (i.e. it only has a maximum of 72.1 CFM at +12 Volts).


    Do you have an idea of a good silent fan for my PSU?
  10. CarpenterD said:
    Do you have an idea of a good silent fan for my PSU?

    I have no idea where you're going to find a retail 135 mm cooling fan.

    135 mm fans are only common in power supply units.

    120 mm and 140 mm fans are much easier to find because they are most commonly used in case cooling or CPU cooling.

    Edit:

    I don't think this one is of high quality though since it has sleeve bearings.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119164

    This one has ball bearings but may not be as quiet as you want it to be:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119162
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Connection Fan Components Product