Build a Dell for Me / Up to $6000 Budget

What I am looking for is a system that will last me 5 years or so before I have to even think about upgrading, even if it means my machine is serious overkill right now. I don't care about paying for stuff I don't need NOW, as long as for the next 4-5 years, it means I don't have to suffer though any slowdown.

My budget is up to $6000.00 including shipping, taxes, etc.

Right now, I just use my computer for the internet, watching Blu-Ray and other videos and heavy graphic editing, although at this time NOT video editing... though that is a definite possibility in a year or two. I don't use it for gaming. I will need at least one monitor.

My goal is to be able to have 5-10 apps running at once (including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) PLUS have many large images (15-30MB each) open at once as well, if necessary, and keep all of that open when surfing the internet.... all without experiencing any slowdown.

Anybody up to the challenge of hitting up Dell.com or HP.com and configuring something to meet my needs and budget? I've been at it all day, but I'd love to see what others come up with. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of days.
57 answers Last reply
More about build dell 6000 budget
  1. spending 6k isnt going to future proof your system. a $2k system will keep you in the same ballpark as far as longevity...
  2. Buying a Dell on a $6K budget = fail. You can build your own for like 1/3 of that and have a computer that will do all you want to and then some. If you're afraid of building your own it's really easy after the first time. The only hard part is hooking all the case wires to the motherboard and everything else hooks into place. And these systems last far longer than anything you can buy pre built from Dell or HP.

    Try something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($258.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: ATI FirePro V5900 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2272.39
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:37 EDT-0400)

    Then add a nice monitor and whatever peripherals you want and you still come out $4K ahead.
  3. 6K is just what I have available to spend... but I'd be happy with a 2K system if one is recommended here that will exactly fit my requirements.

    Basically, I will spend as much as I can afford in order to ensure that it runs at top speeds as long as possible.

    I want to be able to run everything I need to run and do as much graphics editing as I want, all while watching a Blu-Ray..... without having to think twice about whether I should open another app or not.
  4. Jack_Mord said:
    6K is just what I have available to spend... but I'd be happy with a 2K system if one is recommended here that will exactly fit my requirements.

    Basically, I will spend as much as I can afford in order to ensure that it runs at top speeds as long as possible.

    I want to be able to run everything I need to run and do as much graphics editing as I want, all while watching a Blu-Ray..... without having to think twice about whether I should open another app or not.


    Yeah the system I recommended will run just about anything you can throw at it, will run multiple displays with relative ease, and unlike anything you can buy from Dell or HP, upgrading it is incredibly easy. If you want to run Linux on it you can get an Ubuntu license for free.
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    Buying a Dell on a $6K budget = fail.


    Thanks for the reply. I HAVE built my own machine before - it's the one I'm using now - but this time I just don't feel like doing it ... I have the money to be lazy about it and grossly overpay. But I will definitely check out the parts you posted.... you never know, maybe I'll be convinced to build my own again.
  6. g-unit1111 said:
    Buying a Dell on a $6K budget = fail. You can build your own for like 1/3 of that and have a computer that will do all you want to and then some. If you're afraid of building your own it's really easy after the first time. The only hard part is hooking all the case wires to the motherboard and everything else hooks into place. And these systems last far longer than anything you can buy pre built from Dell or HP.

    Try something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($258.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: ATI FirePro V5900 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2272.39
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:37 EDT-0400)

    Then add a nice monitor and whatever peripherals you want and you still come out $4K ahead.


    Damn. That is tempting!
  7. Jack_Mord said:
    Thanks for the reply. I HAVE built my own machine before - it's the one I'm using now - but this time I just don't feel like doing it ... I have the money to be lazy about it and grossly overpay. But I will definitely check out the parts you posted.... you never know, maybe I'll be convinced to build my own again.


    I'd do that over buying a Dell any day of the week, if you have that kind of budget to work with it makes zero sense buying pre built. If you're too lazy to build your own, have someone else do it for you. :lol:

    But don't over pay just to over pay. That's my two cents.
  8. And people wonder why this planet's going to crap, lol. Just build it yourself, save the money and the planet!!
  9. I'd rather just build that kind of system. You get a computer more oriented for what you want to do, which would be heavy graphics editing.

    I don't know how many monitors you want, but 2 would be awesome dont you think?

    And $6000 is insane. I don't know if youre one of those kinds of people that would rather save money than spend it, but I'll build 2 different builds for you. One for $6k and one for probably about $2500, both of which would do perfectly.

    $2500

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($752.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2338.07
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:47 EDT-0400)

    Now I left it up to you to choose a monitor, for I'm sure you have a preference. This computer will perform to meet and exceed your desires.

    If you still do not choose to build one yourself, HP doesnt really sell workstations anymore, and the best thing Dell has is the Dell Precision T3500 Workstation, which you can build nicely for your needs.

    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3500/fs

    Someone will probably come along and make a better custom build than mine, but still.
  10. Deemo13 said:
    I'd rather just build that kind of system. You get a computer more oriented for what you want to do, which would be heavy graphics editing.

    I don't know how many monitors you want, but 2 would be awesome dont you think?

    And $6000 is insane. I don't know if youre one of those kinds of people that would rather save money than spend it, but I'll build 2 different builds for you. One for $6k and one for probably about $2500, both of which would do perfectly.

    $2500

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($752.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2338.07
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:47 EDT-0400)

    Now I left it up to you to choose a monitor, for I'm sure you have a preference. This computer will perform to meet and exceed your desires.

    If you still do not choose to build one yourself, HP doesnt really sell workstations anymore, and the best thing Dell has is the Dell Precision T3500 Workstation, which you can build nicely for your needs.

    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3500/fs

    Someone will probably come along and make a better custom build than mine, but still.


    That's a good build but the H80 is an absolute waste when the D14 will give you the same results, you need quad channel (4 sticks) for an X79 rig, and 850W is overkill for a single Quaddro.
  11. Jack_Mord said:
    What I am looking for is a system that will last me 5 years or so before I have to even think about upgrading, even if it means my machine is serious overkill right now. I don't care about paying for stuff I don't need NOW, as long as for the next 4-5 years, it means I don't have to suffer though any slowdown.

    My budget is up to $6000.00 including shipping, taxes, etc.

    Right now, I just use my computer for the internet, watching Blu-Ray and other videos and heavy graphic editing, although at this time NOT video editing... though that is a definite possibility in a year or two. I don't use it for gaming. I will need at least one monitor.

    My goal is to be able to have 5-10 apps running at once (including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) PLUS have many large images (15-30MB each) open at once as well, if necessary, and keep all of that open when surfing the internet.... all without experiencing any slowdown.

    Anybody up to the challenge of hitting up Dell.com or HP.com and configuring something to meet my needs and budget? I've been at it all day, but I'd love to see what others come up with. Thanks in advance.

    Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of days.


    Watch this video now. --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

    Buying a 6K build for future proofing is idiotic, if you're gonna buy a 6K rig is because you have the money and you will upgrade in the next two years when the next Direct3D API comes out.


    when you watch the video post back and answer this:

    *Are you ever going to use this PC for gaming?
    *What resolutions are you running?
    *Are you interested in watercooling?
    *Do you need a monitor(s)?
    *Do you need the OS?
    *What programs will you run?
  12. SinisterSalad said:
    And people wonder why this planet's going to crap, lol. Just build it yourself, save the money and the planet!!


    Right!!! letting companies sell pre built computers is running the plannet.... the planets condition have no nothing to do with that there are 7B people sucking the earth resources like leeches, right?
  13. picking the most rediculousness I can without feeling too retarded I still didn't hit 6000

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgyO go ahead and add another 100 bucks for high end fans and I'll call it a day
  14. Deemo13 said:
    I'd rather just build that kind of system. You get a computer more oriented for what you want to do, which would be heavy graphics editing.

    I don't know how many monitors you want, but 2 would be awesome dont you think?

    And $6000 is insane. I don't know if youre one of those kinds of people that would rather save money than spend it, but I'll build 2 different builds for you. One for $6k and one for probably about $2500, both of which would do perfectly.

    $2500

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($752.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2338.07
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:47 EDT-0400)

    Now I left it up to you to choose a monitor, for I'm sure you have a preference. This computer will perform to meet and exceed your desires.

    If you still do not choose to build one yourself, HP doesnt really sell workstations anymore, and the best thing Dell has is the Dell Precision T3500 Workstation, which you can build nicely for your needs.

    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3500/fs

    Someone will probably come along and make a better custom build than mine, but still.


    That's the most stupid build i've ever seen.

    *Getting a 3820 is like getting is like getting a Lamborghini with some cheap wheels.
    *Corsair H80?really?
    *4TB of SLOW storage? this guy hasn't told us how much space he needs and even if the hasn't a 5400rpm drive is not an option
    *850w PSU for a system that will consume 400-500W at most?
  15. @Jack_Mord what do you prefer? getting an overkill 6000$ PC now and keep it for 2 years (i can assure you, it WILL NOT LAST 5 YEARS) or buy a ~2000$ workstation with 85-92% of the 6000$ PC performance and upgrade in about 18-24 months for another 2000$ PC.... there is another option, you can buy the 6000$ PC now and buy another 6000$ PC in 24-30 moths but that would be idiotic...
  16. idroid said:
    That's the most stupid build i've ever seen.

    *Getting a 3820 is like getting is like getting a Lamborghini with some cheap wheels.
    *Corsair H80?really?
    *4TB of SLOW storage? this guy hasn't told us how much space he needs and even if the hasn't a 5400rpm drive is not an option
    *850w PSU for a system that will consume 400-500W at most?



    +1
  17. idroid said:
    @Jack_Mord what do you prefer? getting an overkill 6000$ PC now and keep it for 2 years (i can assure you, it WILL NOT LAST 5 YEARS) or buy a ~2000$ workstation with 85-92% of the 6000$ PC performance and upgrade in about 18-24 months for another 2000$ PC.... there is another option, you can buy the 6000$ PC now and buy another 6000$ PC in 24-30 moths but that would be idiotic...


    OK, I'll choose the second option, the 2K workstation. Now build one for me! Or is there a 2-3K Dell workstation you'd recommend? I just don't feel like building one this time around... I want to just get one shipped to my door ready to roll, and I'll overpay for the luxury.

    The machine I built myself has lasted 3.5 years... so I'm sure I could get something this time around that will last me at least as long as this current one has.

    Somebody mentioned space... I was just thinking about getting two 256GB SSD drives... I have a 3TB external drive for storage. I definitely want SSD though. And 32GB RAM.

    Also:
    Probably won't use it for PC gaming, though there's a slim chance.
    Yes, I need a monitor.
    Not interested in watercooling, particularly.
    Don't need the OS.
    Main programs: Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator. I need to work with a large amount of huge images, all open at once, without slowdown.
  18. idroid said:
    That's the most stupid build i've ever seen.

    *Getting a 3820 is like getting is like getting a Lamborghini with some cheap wheels.
    *Corsair H80?really?
    *4TB of SLOW storage? this guy hasn't told us how much space he needs and even if the hasn't a 5400rpm drive is not an option
    *850w PSU for a system that will consume 400-500W at most?


    There's an SSD in there somewhere - with that as the primary the "slow" storage is a moot point.

    Quote:
    @Jack_Mord what do you prefer? getting an overkill 6000$ PC now and keep it for 2 years (i can assure you, it WILL NOT LAST 5 YEARS) or buy a ~2000$ workstation with 85-92% of the 6000$ PC performance and upgrade in about 18-24 months for another 2000$ PC.... there is another option, you can buy the 6000$ PC now and buy another 6000$ PC in 24-30 moths but that would be idiotic...


    Yeah that's kind of what I was trying to say in the first post. :lol:

    Quote:
    I remember picking the 212 EVO, but for some reason it wouldnt change and gave me the H80.


    In order to use the 212 Evo on an X79 rig you have to purchase the socket LGA 2011 retention bracket separately, PC Part Picker doesn't know that.

    Quote:
    But this build was more to prove a point that something better could be built than something you would buy from Dell or HP (who I dont think makes workstations anymore)


    I was trying to make that same point. Dell does make workstations but they're incredibly overpriced for what you get vs. building your own. After how well my last two builds have turned out, I'll never go back to a big box manufacturer again.
  19. g-unit1111 said:
    That's a good build but the H80 is an absolute waste when the D14 will give you the same results, you need quad channel (4 sticks) for an X79 rig, and 850W is overkill for a single Quaddro.


    I remember picking the 212 EVO, but for some reason it wouldnt change and gave me the H80.

    Also, I had no idea about the quad chanel part on the X79. I guess you learn something new every day. And 850W is overkill, you are correct.

    But this build was more to prove a point that something better could be built than something you would buy from Dell or HP (who I dont think makes workstations anymore)
  20. slhpss said:
    picking the most rediculousness I can without feeling too retarded I still didn't hit 6000

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgyO go ahead and add another 100 bucks for high end fans and I'll call it a day


    Heh. Well, I am not looking for a gaming system. Looking over those parts, I'd say that has twice as many SSD drives and twice as much RAM as I planned. Also, I probably wouldn't need a soundcard, and probably only one video card. Also, I already have Windows Ultimate, so an OS is not needed.

    So if I remove all of that, the total would be around $4300.
  21. ^ OMG he did it.
  22. Jack_Mord said:
    Heh. Well, I am not looking for a gaming system. Looking over those parts, I'd say that has twice as many SSD drives and twice as much RAM as I planned. Also, I probably wouldn't need a soundcard, and probably only one video card. Also, I already have Windows Ultimate, so an OS is not needed.

    So if I remove all of that, the total would be around $4300.


    If you wanted to hit $6K I could build a system around a Cosmos II, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Classified SR-X with Dual Xeon E5s, 64GB RAM, custom liquid cooling, and a Fire Pro 7800 - but none of those are available in PC Part Picker (except the Cosmos II). :lol:
  23. Jack_Mord said:
    Heh. Well, I am not looking for a gaming system. Looking over those parts, I'd say that has twice as many SSD drives and twice as much RAM as I planned. Also, I probably wouldn't need a soundcard, and probably only one video card. Also, I already have Windows Ultimate, so an OS is not needed.

    So if I remove all of that, the total would be around $4300.


    Don't get GTX680's, go with AMD or get a nvidia Quarto card. The nvidia 600 series are not good for video editing.
  24. workstations dont really have to be too expensive to get stuff moving

    heres what i would get
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgXs


    pay another 1000 and you get a quadro 5000. but then you can wait for the k series or quadro cards
  25. TheBigTroll said:
    workstations dont really have to be too expensive to get stuff moving

    heres what i would get
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgXs


    pay another 1000 and you get a quadro 5000. but then you can wait for the k series or quadro cards


    That looks good at first glance. Looks like it has everything I want, except I'd need a monitor.
  26. Jack_Mord said:
    OK, I'll choose the second option, the 2K workstation. Now build one for me! Or is there a 2-3K Dell workstation you'd recommend? I just don't feel like building one this time around... I want to just get one shipped to my door ready to roll, and I'll overpay for the luxury.

    The machine I built myself has lasted 3.5 years... so I'm sure I could get something this time around that will last me at least as long as this current one has.

    Somebody mentioned space... I was just thinking about getting two 256GB SSD drives... I have a 3TB external drive for storage. I definitely want SSD though. And 32GB RAM.

    Also:
    Probably won't use it for PC gaming, though there's a slim chance.
    Yes, I need a monitor.
    Not interested in watercooling, particularly.
    Don't need the OS.
    Main programs: Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator. I need to work with a large amount of huge images, all open at once, without slowdown.


    Well...to be honest, building a PC is REALYYYY easy, watch this videos:

    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

    They explaing EVERYTHING, even a mild retarded person can do it.

    By building your PC you will save a lot of money, and its kinda fun :lol:

    buy this:

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($549.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($112.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: ATI FirePro V7900 2GB Video Card ($690.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $2244.52

    Quote:
    The machine I built myself has lasted 3.5 years... so I'm sure I could get something this time around that will last me at least as long as this current one has.


    I can assure that no matter what you buy today, in 3 years it will be really outdated, technology is moving waaay too fast and its accelerating.

    Edit: Buy this monitor

    http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/dell-monitor-u2711
  27. FYI: Here's the Dell I was playing around with, though I wasn't done tweaking it.


    Dell Precision T7600, 1300W,
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, English

    Unit Price: $4,768.00
    - $711.00

    Processor
    Dual Four Core XEON (E5-2609, 2.4GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s)

    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, English

    Memory
    32GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 x 8GB DIMMs)

    Graphics
    1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 600, Dual MON, 1 DP & 1 DVI

    Hard Drive Configuration
    C2 SATA / SSD 2.5 Inch, 1-4 Hard Drives

    Hard Drive RAID
    RAID 1

    PERC Controller
    PERC H310 SATA/SAS Controller for Dell Precision

    Boot Hard Drive
    256GB, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

    2nd Hard Drive
    256GB, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

    DVD and Read-Write Devices
    16XDVD+/-RWand8XDVD,SATA

    Monitors
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24"W Monitor, 24.0 Inch VIS, Widescreen, VGA/ DVI/ DP

    Speakers
    Dell AX510 Sound Bar for all UltraSharp Flat Panel Displays
  28. Jack_Mord said:
    FYI: Here's the Dell I was playing around with, though I wasn't done tweaking it.


    Dell Precision T7600, 1300W,
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, English

    Unit Price: $4,768.00
    - $711.00

    Processor
    Dual Four Core XEON (E5-2609, 2.4GHz, 10M, 6.4 GT/s)

    Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, English

    Memory
    32GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 x 8GB DIMMs)

    Graphics
    1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 600, Dual MON, 1 DP & 1 DVI

    Hard Drive Configuration
    C2 SATA / SSD 2.5 Inch, 1-4 Hard Drives

    Hard Drive RAID
    RAID 1

    PERC Controller
    PERC H310 SATA/SAS Controller for Dell Precision

    Boot Hard Drive
    256GB, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

    2nd Hard Drive
    256GB, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

    DVD and Read-Write Devices
    16XDVD+/-RWand8XDVD,SATA

    Monitors
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24"W Monitor, 24.0 Inch VIS, Widescreen, VGA/ DVI/ DP

    Speakers
    Dell AX510 Sound Bar for all UltraSharp Flat Panel Displays



    the monitor i just recommended is the same one that you are using right now.

    your rig right now is faster than most of ours but the quadro 600 is pretty weak compared to newer solutions like the w8000 or the quadro 4000
  29. This sounds like a challenge:

    Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II - $349.99
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i - $349.99
    Motherboard: EVGA Classified SRX - $649.99
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 95W 8-Core x2 - $1,099.98 each ($2,199.98 total)
    Cooler: Swiftech Edge HD Triple Fan Configuration - $349.99
    RAM: 64GB G.Skill (8 x 8GB) 1600MHz 1.5V - $299.99
    Block: Swiftech Apogee HD 0 $74.99
    SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 - $189.99
    HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 2TB - $119.99
    Optical: Pioneer BD-R 208 - $74.99
    Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V7800 - $619.99

    Total: $5,343.98
  30. TheBigTroll said:
    the monitor i just recommended is the same one that you are using right now.

    your rig right now is faster than most of ours but the quadro 600 is pretty weak compared to newer solutions like the w8000 or the quadro 4000


    Not really... that build is optimized for professional usage, most of our builds are made for gaming, we use single CPU setups with GPUs that are optimized for Single Precision floating point processing and not double precision floating point processing like professional card.
  31. TheBigTroll said:
    the monitor i just recommended is the same one that you are using right now.

    your rig right now is faster than most of ours but the quadro 600 is pretty weak compared to newer solutions like the w8000 or the quadro 4000


    Yeah, I figured the Quadro I picked wasn't great... I just wasn't sure how good of a video card I would need. Somebody told me the 600 would be enough, since I won't be gaming on it, and not doing video editing (yet). I figure I could always upgrade it later if I need to.
  32. iknowhowtofixit said:
    RAM?


    It can run with the CPUs L3 Cache :lol:
  33. g-unit1111 said:
    This sounds like a challenge:

    Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II - $349.99
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i - $349.99
    Motherboard: EVGA Classified SRX - $649.99
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 95W 8-Core x2 - $1,099.98 each ($2,199.98 total)
    Cooler: Swiftech Edge HD Triple Fan Configuration - $349.99
    Block: Swiftech Apogee HD 0 $74.99
    SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 - $189.99
    HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 2TB - $119.99
    Optical: Pioneer BD-R 208 - $74.99
    Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V7800 - $619.99

    Total: $5,343.98


    Hmmm... 1200w for a system that will never hit 650w of consumption? :heink:
  34. RAM? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING RAM
  35. YOU GOT LIKE 40mbs. no prob.

    @idroid: i know that
  36. idroid said:
    Hmmm... 1200w for a system that will never hit 650w of consumption? :heink:


    I included the AX1200i because of its' ability to control every aspect of the PSU through the USB port and Windows software, doesn't have anything to do with the wattage.

    Quote:
    RAM?


    Fixed.
  37. idroid said:
    Right!!! letting companies sell pre built computers is running the plannet.... the planets condition have no nothing to do with that there are 7B people sucking the earth resources like leeches, right?

    I'm referencing the fact that he's more than capable of doing it himself, but would rather just throw money at the problem than do it for himself. It was more a joke than anything.
    We live in an entitlement age, everyone wants what's theirs without putting in the work was more my point. Sorry if it went over your head.
  38. SinisterSalad said:
    everyone wants what's theirs without putting in the work was more my point


    lol, why should anyone work for what's already theirs?
  39. SinisterSalad said:
    I'm referencing the fact that he's more than capable of doing it himself, but would rather just throw money at the problem than do it for himself. It was more a joke than anything.
    We live in an entitlement age, everyone wants what's theirs without putting in the work was more my point. Sorry if it went over your head.


    Makes no sense, as I worked a lot harder for that 6K than I ever would putting a desktop together.
  40. Next year's $2k system will toast today's $6k system. Yeah, you can squeeze 5 years outta a system but in the 3rd year, your $1.2k system will toast it. Much better of building a $2k system every 2 years and passing it down to ya lil bro.
  41. Jack_Mord said:
    Makes no sense, as I worked a lot harder for that 6K than I ever would putting a desktop together.


    If you worked that hard for the $6k, then it makes no sense to me why you'd be willing waste it all at once on a PC.
  42. SinisterSalad said:
    If you worked that hard for the $6k, then it makes no sense to me why you'd be willing waste it all at once on a PC.


    Your point was that I expect things to be "given" to me just because I don't feel like building my own computer. And that's what I was saying made absolutely no sense.

    My BUDGET is 6K, that doesn't mean I'm going to spend that much. I would if somebody here could configure a machine that would last me nicely for 5 years. If that's not possible, fine, but if it is, spending 6K on it wouldn't be a waste.
  43. There are a lot of different builds floating around on this thread, but the first thing that needs to be decided is whether the OP needs workstation grade equipment. If that is the case, then $6000k is not as insane as it sounds (see the above builds with Xeons). Further, buying from Dell or HP is also not a bad idea because they will fix it if it breaks.

    Second, if this is mission critical stuff then the OP should not overclock and so all these water coolers etc. (while fine for gaming) are simply unnecessary.

    I guess my real point is lots of the builds are using consumer quality parts which might not be high end enough for the OP especially since he was looking at Dell workstations.

    By the way, what are the specs of your current computer by way of comparison?
  44. Spending 6k is useless. I'll try to make one:
    CPU: i7 3930k $570
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $35
    Mobo: EVGA X79 Classified 151-SE-E779-K2 $374
    GPU: 2x SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB $1,418
    RAM: G. SKILL Ripjaws Z Series $110
    HDD: 2x Western Digital Velociraptor 1TB $540
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 watt $232
    CASE: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 $420
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB $550
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 $190
    Optical: ASUS Black Bluray $80
    Well I couldn't reach 6k. This build is $4,509
    Not understanding why you don't just spend 2k. In PC world there is no such thing as "future proofing". I learned that the hard way.
  45. Never mind, I'll just buy a Dell. Thanks for getting it, jsrudd.
  46. LOLZ. we are not trying to convince you to get a dell
  47. iknowhowtofixit said:
    "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell!"


    Ha ha.
  48. TheBigTroll said:
    LOLZ. we are not trying to convince you to get a dell


    Yeah, I know. Everybody was trying to convince me to build a machine, even though my first post said I didn't want to do that this time around.

    I'm good with blowing about 4K on a 32GB RAM T7600, then upgrading the processor in a few years.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product