Build a Dell for Me / Up to $6000 Budget

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
What I am looking for is a system that will last me 5 years or so before I have to even think about upgrading, even if it means my machine is serious overkill right now. I don't care about paying for stuff I don't need NOW, as long as for the next 4-5 years, it means I don't have to suffer though any slowdown.

My budget is up to $6000.00 including shipping, taxes, etc.

Right now, I just use my computer for the internet, watching Blu-Ray and other videos and heavy graphic editing, although at this time NOT video editing... though that is a definite possibility in a year or two. I don't use it for gaming. I will need at least one monitor.

My goal is to be able to have 5-10 apps running at once (including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) PLUS have many large images (15-30MB each) open at once as well, if necessary, and keep all of that open when surfing the internet.... all without experiencing any slowdown.

Anybody up to the challenge of hitting up Dell.com or HP.com and configuring something to meet my needs and budget? I've been at it all day, but I'd love to see what others come up with. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of days.

g-unit1111

Titan
Buying a Dell on a $6K budget = fail. You can build your own for like 1/3 of that and have a computer that will do all you want to and then some. If you're afraid of building your own it's really easy after the first time. The only hard part is hooking all the case wires to the motherboard and everything else hooks into place. And these systems last far longer than anything you can buy pre built from Dell or HP.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($258.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ATI FirePro V5900 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2272.39
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:37 EDT-0400)

Then add a nice monitor and whatever peripherals you want and you still come out $4K ahead.

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
6K is just what I have available to spend... but I'd be happy with a 2K system if one is recommended here that will exactly fit my requirements.

Basically, I will spend as much as I can afford in order to ensure that it runs at top speeds as long as possible.

I want to be able to run everything I need to run and do as much graphics editing as I want, all while watching a Blu-Ray..... without having to think twice about whether I should open another app or not.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the system I recommended will run just about anything you can throw at it, will run multiple displays with relative ease, and unlike anything you can buy from Dell or HP, upgrading it is incredibly easy. If you want to run Linux on it you can get an Ubuntu license for free.

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I HAVE built my own machine before - it's the one I'm using now - but this time I just don't feel like doing it ... I have the money to be lazy about it and grossly overpay. But I will definitely check out the parts you posted.... you never know, maybe I'll be convinced to build my own again.

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

Damn. That is tempting!

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd do that over buying a Dell any day of the week, if you have that kind of budget to work with it makes zero sense buying pre built. If you're too lazy to build your own, have someone else do it for you. :lol:

But don't over pay just to over pay. That's my two cents.

I'd rather just build that kind of system. You get a computer more oriented for what you want to do, which would be heavy graphics editing.

I don't know how many monitors you want, but 2 would be awesome dont you think?

And $6000 is insane. I don't know if youre one of those kinds of people that would rather save money than spend it, but I'll build 2 different builds for you. One for $6k and one for probably about $2500, both of which would do perfectly.

$2500

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgo2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($752.99 @ B&H)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $2338.07
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 17:47 EDT-0400)

Now I left it up to you to choose a monitor, for I'm sure you have a preference. This computer will perform to meet and exceed your desires.

If you still do not choose to build one yourself, HP doesnt really sell workstations anymore, and the best thing Dell has is the Dell Precision T3500 Workstation, which you can build nicely for your needs.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-t3500/fs

Someone will probably come along and make a better custom build than mine, but still.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's a good build but the H80 is an absolute waste when the D14 will give you the same results, you need quad channel (4 sticks) for an X79 rig, and 850W is overkill for a single Quaddro.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Watch this video now. --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

Buying a 6K build for future proofing is idiotic, if you're gonna buy a 6K rig is because you have the money and you will upgrade in the next two years when the next Direct3D API comes out.

when you watch the video post back and answer this:

*Are you ever going to use this PC for gaming?
*What resolutions are you running?
*Are you interested in watercooling?
*Do you need a monitor(s)?
*Do you need the OS?
*What programs will you run?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Right!!! letting companies sell pre built computers is running the plannet.... the planets condition have no nothing to do with that there are 7B people sucking the earth resources like leeches, right?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

That's the most stupid build i've ever seen.

*Getting a 3820 is like getting is like getting a Lamborghini with some cheap wheels.
*Corsair H80?really?
*4TB of SLOW storage? this guy hasn't told us how much space he needs and even if the hasn't a 5400rpm drive is not an option
*850w PSU for a system that will consume 400-500W at most?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
@Jack_Mord what do you prefer? getting an overkill 6000$ PC now and keep it for 2 years (i can assure you, it WILL NOT LAST 5 YEARS) or buy a ~2000$ workstation with 85-92% of the 6000$ PC performance and upgrade in about 18-24 months for another 2000$ PC.... there is another option, you can buy the 6000$ PC now and buy another 6000$ PC in 24-30 moths but that would be idiotic...

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

+1

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

OK, I'll choose the second option, the 2K workstation. Now build one for me! Or is there a 2-3K Dell workstation you'd recommend? I just don't feel like building one this time around... I want to just get one shipped to my door ready to roll, and I'll overpay for the luxury.

The machine I built myself has lasted 3.5 years... so I'm sure I could get something this time around that will last me at least as long as this current one has.

Somebody mentioned space... I was just thinking about getting two 256GB SSD drives... I have a 3TB external drive for storage. I definitely want SSD though. And 32GB RAM.

Also:
Probably won't use it for PC gaming, though there's a slim chance.
Yes, I need a monitor.
Not interested in watercooling, particularly.
Don't need the OS.
Main programs: Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator. I need to work with a large amount of huge images, all open at once, without slowdown.

g-unit1111

Titan

There's an SSD in there somewhere - with that as the primary the "slow" storage is a moot point.

@Jack_Mord what do you prefer? getting an overkill 6000$ PC now and keep it for 2 years (i can assure you, it WILL NOT LAST 5 YEARS) or buy a ~2000$ workstation with 85-92% of the 6000$ PC performance and upgrade in about 18-24 months for another 2000$ PC.... there is another option, you can buy the 6000$ PC now and buy another 6000$ PC in 24-30 moths but that would be idiotic...

Yeah that's kind of what I was trying to say in the first post. :lol:

I remember picking the 212 EVO, but for some reason it wouldnt change and gave me the H80.

In order to use the 212 Evo on an X79 rig you have to purchase the socket LGA 2011 retention bracket separately, PC Part Picker doesn't know that.

But this build was more to prove a point that something better could be built than something you would buy from Dell or HP (who I dont think makes workstations anymore)

I was trying to make that same point. Dell does make workstations but they're incredibly overpriced for what you get vs. building your own. After how well my last two builds have turned out, I'll never go back to a big box manufacturer again.

I remember picking the 212 EVO, but for some reason it wouldnt change and gave me the H80.

Also, I had no idea about the quad chanel part on the X79. I guess you learn something new every day. And 850W is overkill, you are correct.

But this build was more to prove a point that something better could be built than something you would buy from Dell or HP (who I dont think makes workstations anymore)

Jack_Mord

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

Heh. Well, I am not looking for a gaming system. Looking over those parts, I'd say that has twice as many SSD drives and twice as much RAM as I planned. Also, I probably wouldn't need a soundcard, and probably only one video card. Also, I already have Windows Ultimate, so an OS is not needed.

So if I remove all of that, the total would be around $4300.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you wanted to hit $6K I could build a system around a Cosmos II, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Classified SR-X with Dual Xeon E5s, 64GB RAM, custom liquid cooling, and a Fire Pro 7800 - but none of those are available in PC Part Picker (except the Cosmos II). :lol:

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Don't get GTX680's, go with AMD or get a nvidia Quarto card. The nvidia 600 series are not good for video editing.