Can I increase the size of C without formatting?

June 22, 2005 3:31:01 PM

I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full but I have
alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by allocating the memory
from D without formating my computer?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 22, 2005 4:13:05 PM

In news:79A95F51-EA6E-4D56-B7E0-D7DC44233571@microsoft.com,
Joel <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full
> but I
> have alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by
> allocating
> the memory from D without formating my computer?

First, note that the term "memory" is normally reserved for RAM,
not for for hard disk space.

No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 22, 2005 10:40:56 PM

Joel, a third party app like Partition Magic will do that for you. Just
do a Google search for it.
"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full but I have
> alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by allocating the memory
> from D without formating my computer?
a b } Memory
June 22, 2005 11:44:29 PM

Hi

You will need to use a 3rd party program for the best results - such as
Partitiom Magic:

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Although it is a Symantec product now, it does work reasonably well!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full but I have
> alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by allocating the memory
> from D without formating my computer?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 22, 2005 11:50:57 PM

Joel wrote:
> I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full but I
> have alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by allocating
> the memory from D without formating my computer?

Hard drive space is *NOT* memory - RAM is memory - hard drive space is hard
drive space.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 23, 2005 12:26:01 AM

Ooh you missed this one Sarah:

Partitiom Magic

I've only just seen it myself!!

Will

> Joel wrote:
>> I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full but I
>> have alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by allocating
>> the memory from D without formating my computer?
>
> Hard drive space is *NOT* memory - RAM is memory - hard drive space is
> hard drive space.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 23, 2005 2:22:31 AM

You should try it, Ken. While its primary purpose is to be a full featured boot manager, it also has very good partition management tools.

http://www.bootitng.com

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:o MSjs51dFHA.2776@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:79A95F51-EA6E-4D56-B7E0-D7DC44233571@microsoft.com,
> Joel <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is full
>> but I
>> have alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by
>> allocating
>> the memory from D without formating my computer?
>

> First, note that the term "memory" is normally reserved for RAM,
> not for for hard disk space.
>
> No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
> the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
> it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
> Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
> shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
> good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
> personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 23, 2005 2:22:32 AM

In news:%234to%23o5dFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Doug Knox MS-MVP <dknox@mvps.org> typed:

> You should try it, Ken. While its primary purpose is to be a
> full
> featured boot manager, it also has very good partition
> management
> tools.

Thanks, Doug. You're not the only person to have said that, and I
believe all of you. The only reason I've never tried it is that
I've never needed its capabilities. If and when I do, I will.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> news:o MSjs51dFHA.2776@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> In news:79A95F51-EA6E-4D56-B7E0-D7DC44233571@microsoft.com,
>> Joel <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have two partitions, Drive C and Drive D. My drive C is
>>> full
>>> but I
>>> have alot of memory on D. Can I increase the size of C by
>>> allocating
>>> the memory from D without formating my computer?
>>

>> First, note that the term "memory" is normally reserved for
>> RAM,
>> not for for hard disk space.
>>
>> No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to
>> change
>> the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data
>> on
>> it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program.
>> Partition
>> Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
>> shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that
>> gets
>> good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
>> personally) is Bootit Next Generation.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous