Sign in with
Your question

Build compatibility? Help ASAP Please!

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 11:10:09 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is the gaming rig I am wanting to purchase. I will be over-clocking.
Are all these parts compatible? Just making sure before I start buying.

I know that the 850W is a bit much but I am thinking about having two graphics cards in the future and its not much more in price.

Advise and Suggestions welcome! :) 

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4Ghz(3.8Gh Turbo) LGA 1155 – $229.99

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm Sleeve – $34.99

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3 ATX - $149.99

Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2 GB 256-bit Ready SLI Support Video - $407.99

Power Supply: Corsair HX 850 850W SLI Ready Crossfire Ready 80 Plus Gold Certified - $144.99

Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 - $54.99

SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5” 128GB SATA MLC - $118.99

HD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB SATA 3.0 GB/s 3.6” - $119.99

CD/DVD: LITE-ON DVD Burner Bulk Black SATA - $17.99

Case: NZXT Crafted Series Phantom Black/Green Trim Steel/Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $119.99

Monitor: ASUS VK248H-CSM Black 24” 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED-Blacklit LCD

Monitor 250 cd/m2 Built-in speakers &webcam - $214.99

Keyboard: Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER ULTIMATE Gaming Keyboard - $81.99

Mouse: Razer Taipan Expert Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - $79.99

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to start gaming :) 

August 22, 2012 12:47:25 AM

Everything seems good but change the storage drive for a Samsung Spinpoint/CaviarBlue/CaviarBlack/Barracuda drive.

Overall the CM 212 EVO is good but there are better choices (if your budget allows it) like the NZXT HAVIK 140 or Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme

Edit: Get a Vertex 4, its a bit cheaper than the Samsung 830 and performs faster. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 2:15:55 AM

idroid said:
Everything seems good but change the storage drive for a Samsung Spinpoint/CaviarBlue/CaviarBlack/Barracuda drive.

Overall the CM 212 EVO is good but there are better choices (if your budget allows it) like the NZXT HAVIK 140 or Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme

Edit: Get a Vertex 4, its a bit cheaper than the Samsung 830 and performs faster. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...

Thanks! Sounds like good choices to me.
Out of curiosity, should I get the Geforce GTX 670 2GB 256bit or the Geforce GTX 680 2GB 256bit?
Is the 680 worth the extra hundred dollars?
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:49:01 AM

jason5535 said:
Thanks! Sounds like good choices to me.
Out of curiosity, should I get the Geforce GTX 670 2GB 256bit or the Geforce GTX 680 2GB 256bit?
Is the 680 worth the extra hundred dollars?

I don't kow.... you tell me.

look: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=598

If you think the extra performance is worth the extra 100$ buy the GTX680.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:52:59 AM

You honestly won't make a bad choice either way. I wouldn't worry about that, the 670 is a great video card, just I was merely trying to point out that for the price of the GTX 680, it just really isn't worth it for what you get.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:58:31 AM

nekulturny said:
You honestly won't make a bad choice either way. I wouldn't worry about that, the 670 is a great video card, just I was merely trying to point out that for the price of the GTX 680, it just really isn't worth it for what you get.

Oh i gotya.. i got a little worried. with your experience, do you think that the 670 will hold its own with games like crysis and battlefield 3? Im looking to get GTA 5 and need for speed this fall and i want have it look good. so i dont want to choose the wrong one i guess. if that makes sense. maybe im asking too much for the price im looking at
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:03:33 AM

Yes it will. BF3 is actually optimized for Nvidia cards, the AMD ones do fine with it too, but you can see there is a BF3 bench in that article I linked you to, and it does show a small advantage with Nvidia (which is consistent down the line at all the price points between Nvidia and AMD).

BF3 is about as heavy as it gets in terms of demand on a video card. If your system will handle that, (and believe me the rig you have proposed will kick the ever loving *** out of it), you're good to go.

Both of these cards (7970 and 670) are titans. You just can't go wrong.
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:08:14 AM

nekulturny said:
Yes it will. BF3 is actually optimized for Nvidia cards, the AMD ones do fine with it too, but you can see there is a BF3 bench in that article I linked you to, and it does show a small advantage with Nvidia (which is consistent down the line at all the price points between Nvidia and AMD).

BF3 is about as heavy as it gets in terms of demand on a video card. If your system will handle that, (and believe me the rig you have proposed will kick the ever loving *** out of it), you're good to go.

Both of these cards (7970 and 670) are titans. You just can't go wrong.

I noticed that in the article.. that is defiantly reassuring! i just dont want to buy parts and make a computer and be short in some way. probably why i have had cold feet buying a computer. You have been a big help.
Any other words of advise?
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:21:05 AM

lol, you're welcome. umm..

Well, even with an sli setup of dual 670s, or crossfire of 7970s 850 watt is probably more than you need, you can save a couple bucks and go with a Corsair TX750v2 like I have and still get the job done, but honestly, by the time you find either card is no longer able to serve you, its probably going to be time to think about planning a new build anyway (3 to 4 years is about the most reasonable lifespan you can expect a build to still max out new game titles, although it really depends on what games you play, not all are that system demanding) In which case, with a single video card setup, a Corsair TX650v2 would be plenty.

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

---

Computer case, btw, I have that very same one on my Phenom II build, same color scheme, its an awesome case, you'll love it. I found it was a lot bigger than it seemed in the pictures though.

The mouse and keyboard seem a little more expensive than they have to be. I guess if you want em though, and have the money for em it won't hurt.

Personally I use this mouse

And this keyboard-

Not really a "Gaming keyboard" although I've had it for 4 years. The layout of it seems a little intimidating at first, I basically had to learn how to type all over again when I bought it because of the split design, and I had been typing the "Wrong way" for the longest time, but once I did, I find I can type faster on it than any other keyboard. I type about 55-60wpm on your average Joe keyboard, but I can hit 70-80 on a good day with the Ergonomic.
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:29:37 AM

Your right. Thats a good way to look at it. I just need to pick something and go with it. Those are awesome suggestions I take ya up on those.

I appreciate the time that you have helped me.

Hopefully tomorrow I will make some decisions and hopefully get that boarderlands 2 free ha nothing like a free game to start off a brand new build! Thanks again :D 
m
l
!