Folder display issue

June 22, 2005 4:00:09 PM

Using windows explorer with the Folders button checked, creating a split
screen, the contents of My Pictures does not display file names.

The Problem:
Using windows explorer - In the left window (displays Desktop, My Documents,
My Computer, etc…)
Clicking down My Documents/My Pictures does NOT display any file names of
the My Pictures directory.

The Catch:
In the same explorer window - clicking down My Computer/Local Disk
(C)/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents/My Pictures DOES display the
file names.

How can the display be corrected when using the shorter My Documents path?

More about : folder display issue

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:23:48 PM

Hold down the shift key when switching to thumbnail view to hide the file
names. Do it again to bring them back.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F7DC3941-C52B-4858-8721-AD1F7271B903@microsoft.com,
Trask <Trask@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Using windows explorer with the Folders button checked, creating a split
> screen, the contents of My Pictures does not display file names.
>
> The Problem:
> Using windows explorer - In the left window (displays Desktop, My
> Documents, My Computer, etc…)
> Clicking down My Documents/My Pictures does NOT display any file names of
> the My Pictures directory.
>
> The Catch:
> In the same explorer window - clicking down My Computer/Local Disk
> (C)/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents/My Pictures DOES display
> the file names.
>
> How can the display be corrected when using the shorter My Documents path?
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:10:31 PM

And if it is this then the reason that it is different depending on how you navigate there is that is how folder settings are stored, by the path taken to get to a folder.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uOUOOC3dFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hold down the shift key when switching to thumbnail view to hide the file
> names. Do it again to bring them back.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:F7DC3941-C52B-4858-8721-AD1F7271B903@microsoft.com,
> Trask <Trask@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Using windows explorer with the Folders button checked, creating a split
>> screen, the contents of My Pictures does not display file names.
>>
>> The Problem:
>> Using windows explorer - In the left window (displays Desktop, My
>> Documents, My Computer, etc…)
>> Clicking down My Documents/My Pictures does NOT display any file names of
>> the My Pictures directory.
>>
>> The Catch:
>> In the same explorer window - clicking down My Computer/Local Disk
>> (C)/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents/My Pictures DOES display
>> the file names.
>>
>> How can the display be corrected when using the shorter My Documents path?

June 23, 2005 12:10:32 PM

I stand by my answer.

I don't know why, but the View settings *are* different.

At least they are on my machine, XP Pro.

Using Windows Explorer in the Folders pane.

Desktop
[-] My documents
[+] My Pictures

View of My Pictures folder in right hand pane is Thumbnails.

Going further down...

[-] My Computer
[-] Local Disk (C:)
[-] Documents and Settings
[-] Wesley P. Vogel
[-] My Documents
[+] My Pictures

View of My Pictures folder in right hand pane is Details.

Get down funky.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o a607c3dFHA.3452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> And if it is this then the reason that it is different depending on how
> you navigate there is that is how folder settings are stored, by the path
> taken to get to a folder.

------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> Hold down the shift key when switching to thumbnail view to hide the file
>> names. Do it again to bring them back.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:F7DC3941-C52B-4858-8721-AD1F7271B903@microsoft.com,
>> Trask <Trask@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Using windows explorer with the Folders button checked, creating a split
>>> screen, the contents of My Pictures does not display file names.
>>>
>>> The Problem:
>>> Using windows explorer - In the left window (displays Desktop, My
>>> Documents, My Computer, etc…)
>>> Clicking down My Documents/My Pictures does NOT display any file names
>>> of the My Pictures directory.
>>>
>>> The Catch:
>>> In the same explorer window - clicking down My Computer/Local Disk
>>> (C)/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents/My Pictures DOES display
>>> the file names.
>>>
>>> How can the display be corrected when using the shorter My Documents
>>> path?
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:23:50 PM

There is nothing wrong with your answer. I was explaining why the results he got are different depending on how they navigated. As it was addressing the part of his post that you didn't rather than reply to him with the supplementry information and to make it make sense I would have to include what you had already said. That's extra typing

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eUsJQ93dFHA.3452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I stand by my answer.
>
> I don't know why, but the View settings *are* different.
>
> At least they are on my machine, XP Pro.
>
> Using Windows Explorer in the Folders pane.
>
> Desktop
> [-] My documents
> [+] My Pictures
>
> View of My Pictures folder in right hand pane is Thumbnails.
>
> Going further down...
>
> [-] My Computer
> [-] Local Disk (C:)
> [-] Documents and Settings
> [-] Wesley P. Vogel
> [-] My Documents
> [+] My Pictures
>
> View of My Pictures folder in right hand pane is Details.
>
> Get down funky.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o a607c3dFHA.3452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
>> And if it is this then the reason that it is different depending on how
>> you navigate there is that is how folder settings are stored, by the path
>> taken to get to a folder.
>>
>> --
> ------------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>>> Hold down the shift key when switching to thumbnail view to hide the file
>>> names. Do it again to bring them back.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:F7DC3941-C52B-4858-8721-AD1F7271B903@microsoft.com,
>>> Trask <Trask@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:23:51 PM

Oh.

Your reply was to my post not the OP, so I replied to your reply. :-)

Understand the extra typing.

*Now* I get why the View settings are different.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User