1st homebuilt gaming rig (case/cooling/psu help)

Soshomru

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Ok so I have a decent amount i can spend on it and i have the base components im looking for i was more wondering what i should be looking for in the cooling/case/PSU areas. Heres what i have so far

Asus P9x79 PRO lga2011 motherboard

Intel i7-3820 cpu

Nvidia GTX 680 2gb

16gb G.skill ripjaws z series ram quad channel kit

I was looking into a good case and cool system to use i will be overclocking but nothing major prob up to 4.2 ghz on cpu and maybe slightly alter clocks on the gtx(if i find a game it cant run... which isnt likely).

so what kind of case and cooling system should i look into : p

also if this thread or question is somewhere else i had to register when i asked the question and i was unable to see if it went through so sorry if it ends up double posted. :D

Solution
Case - Cooler Master HAF XM (best "Non-LAN Party" Mid Tower on the market right now, GOD TIER of "Mid Tower" segment), or HAF X (if you can afford it. It's the High Tier of "Full Tower" segment: there are very few (less than fingers on one hand) cases out there, which can surpass it in level of quality, size, cooling capacity, cable management and price).

PSU - Corsair AX 650/750/850 (any of them would do, so it hardly depends on your power consumption estimations. Entire "AX" line consists of GOD TIER PSUs, absolute top dogs, cream of the crop), or KingWin "Lazer Platinum" 650/750/850 (Another GOD TIER line, for those who either can't get any of the Corsair's "AX"es, or want that little...

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Case - Cooler Master HAF XM (best "Non-LAN Party" Mid Tower on the market right now, GOD TIER of "Mid Tower" segment), or HAF X (if you can afford it. It's the High Tier of "Full Tower" segment: there are very few (less than fingers on one hand) cases out there, which can surpass it in level of quality, size, cooling capacity, cable management and price).

PSU - Corsair AX 650/750/850 (any of them would do, so it hardly depends on your power consumption estimations. Entire "AX" line consists of GOD TIER PSUs, absolute top dogs, cream of the crop), or KingWin "Lazer Platinum" 650/750/850 (Another GOD TIER line, for those who either can't get any of the Corsair's "AX"es, or want that little extra out of their PSU).

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 (Absolute Top Tier, everything is perfect in it: starting from packaging, ultra-sturdy and durable fins, high performance and Noctua's personal customer service, and ending with own (Noctua-patented) ultra-top notch bearing system in the fans, ultra-low noise, mirror-like finish and BEAUTY (This thing IS BEAUTIFUL)), or Phanteks PH-TC14PE (Definite GOD TIER of air cooling right now. There are tons of differently colored versions out there, I highly suggest getting Black or Blue, but it's my personal IMHO on color tastes).

It's the best of what you can get on the market right now. Everything else is either an overprice that doesn't meet the expectations, or absolutely cheap crap (or overpriced crap, lol), or just simply "meh".

Solution

Soshomru

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for the advice master_chen ill look into some of it i was looking at the HAF X and read it was a great case and its around $220 so i should be able to get that. Alot of people recommended the EVO 212+ CPU cooler which also got great reviews so i wasn't sure, also it is 50-60 dollars cheaper then the 2 u linked. : )

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

It's not a bad CPU Cooler, but not "Great" or even "Good" either. It's just "Meh", both quality AND performance-wise.
It's just cheap and it's definitely better than Intel's Stock, lol. But "cheap" doesn't always mean "must buy".
Most of the people that recommend such things, just simply cannot afford a really good High Tier/Top Tier model.
If that's your case, then, of course, you can get it, no problem. But if you have money to spend, you should really take what I've suggested, you won't be disappointed even one bit.
CPU Cooler is one of those cases (along with PSU and Motherboard) where buying something just because it's cheaper, would be a major mistake.

Soshomru

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Alright thats what i was wondering i will take your advice : )