Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help on choosing a Power Supply

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2013 4:52:38 PM

Hey, I want to build a gaming PC and I've been doing some research and the components I got now are i5-3470, EVGA GTX 660 and 4GB DDR3 RAM (I'll be adding more later). I have a 3TB HDD, might put in an SSD sometime. The place I'm buying it from quoted me a 450W Thermaltake PSU, but that seems a little weak...

Any other power supplies that anyone could recommend? I'm happy to spend a little more on a PSU, in order to protect my other components.

JellyBOMB

More about : choosing power supply

a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 5:03:05 PM

Too weak. Go with at least 500W, and I recommend Corsair/XFX, both are amazing brands with solid 5 year warranties.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 5:08:14 PM

JellyBOMB said:
Hey, I want to build a gaming PC and I've been doing some research and the components I got now are i5-3470, EVGA GTX 660 and 4GB DDR3 RAM (I'll be adding more later). I have a 3TB HDD, might put in an SSD sometime. The place I'm buying it from quoted me a 450W Thermaltake PSU, but that seems a little weak...

Any other power supplies that anyone could recommend? I'm happy to spend a little more on a PSU, in order to protect my other components.

JellyBOMB

Plenty of wattage, not too keen on low end Thermaltake though
Related resources
a c 260 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 5:08:21 PM

JellyBOMB said:

JellyBOMB

Hi - The shop didn't try to sell you higher wattage than you need.
realhardtech sggests a quality 430w unit for a sys with one gtx 660.

However, Thermaltake has several 'bad' PSU models out there, and I
suggest you get a quality unit in the 450 - 550w range.

Quality brands: Seasonic, PC P&Cooling, XFX, Rosewill Capstone series,
most Cosair's, most Antecs, Enermax, & a few others. If you
post your PSU budget I'll recommend some for you to choose from.

Tom
January 5, 2013 5:20:31 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! However, since I'm buying local (Newegg doesn't ship to South Africa D: ), my choice on components is limited. Would you guys go for, say, a Cooler Master model in around the same wattage range (I think it's 500-something)?

JellyBOMB
a c 260 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 5:23:36 PM

JellyBOMB said:
Thanks for the quick replies! However, since I'm buying local (Newegg doesn't ship to South Africa D: ), my choice on components is limited. Would you guys go for, say, a Cooler Master model in around the same wattage range (I think it's 500-something)?

JellyBOMB

Def no on Coolermaster (worse than TT), what other brands are available?
January 5, 2013 5:26:56 PM

Antec?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 5:28:33 PM

JellyBOMB said:
Antec?
Antec is fine.
January 5, 2013 5:28:56 PM

Thanks!
January 5, 2013 5:29:09 PM

Best answer selected by JellyBOMB.