Closed Solved

Help on choosing a Power Supply

Hey, I want to build a gaming PC and I've been doing some research and the components I got now are i5-3470, EVGA GTX 660 and 4GB DDR3 RAM (I'll be adding more later). I have a 3TB HDD, might put in an SSD sometime. The place I'm buying it from quoted me a 450W Thermaltake PSU, but that seems a little weak...

Any other power supplies that anyone could recommend? I'm happy to spend a little more on a PSU, in order to protect my other components.

JellyBOMB
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choosing power supply
  1. Too weak. Go with at least 500W, and I recommend Corsair/XFX, both are amazing brands with solid 5 year warranties.
  2. JellyBOMB said:
    Hey, I want to build a gaming PC and I've been doing some research and the components I got now are i5-3470, EVGA GTX 660 and 4GB DDR3 RAM (I'll be adding more later). I have a 3TB HDD, might put in an SSD sometime. The place I'm buying it from quoted me a 450W Thermaltake PSU, but that seems a little weak...

Any other power supplies that anyone could recommend? I'm happy to spend a little more on a PSU, in order to protect my other components.

JellyBOMB

Plenty of wattage, not too keen on low end Thermaltake though
  3. JellyBOMB said:

JellyBOMB

Hi - The shop didn't try to sell you higher wattage than you need.
    realhardtech sggests a quality 430w unit for a sys with one gtx 660.

However, Thermaltake has several 'bad' PSU models out there, and I
    suggest you get a quality unit in the 450 - 550w range.

Quality brands: Seasonic, PC P&Cooling, XFX, Rosewill Capstone series,
    most Cosair's, most Antecs, Enermax, & a few others. If you
    post your PSU budget I'll recommend some for you to choose from.

Tom
  4. Rosewill CAPSTONE-450
    An incredible unit at a great price. (37 amps)
  5. Thanks for the quick replies! However, since I'm buying local (Newegg doesn't ship to South Africa D: ), my choice on components is limited. Would you guys go for, say, a Cooler Master model in around the same wattage range (I think it's 500-something)?

JellyBOMB
  6. JellyBOMB said:
    Thanks for the quick replies! However, since I'm buying local (Newegg doesn't ship to South Africa D: ), my choice on components is limited. Would you guys go for, say, a Cooler Master model in around the same wattage range (I think it's 500-something)?

JellyBOMB

Def no on Coolermaster (worse than TT), what other brands are available?
  7. Antec?
  8. Best answer
    JellyBOMB said:
    Antec?
    Antec is fine.
  9. Thanks!
  10. Best answer selected by JellyBOMB.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product