Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$800 - $1000 Gaming PC [First Build]

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 1:06:29 AM

This is my first time building any type of PC. As the years have passed and new games such as Guild Wars 2 are coming out I know my computer can not dish out as much performance as I would like, to play a game enjoyably.

As of right now my specs on my computer are pretty mediocre and I feel are definitely out of date.

Approximate Purchase Date:
August 25, 2012 - September 30, 2012

Budget Range:
$800-$1000. I am just guessing this price range because I want a computer that will last over the upcoming years to run the upcoming graphics of newer games. This price range could be lower since I do not desire a monitor or other accessories.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
I mainly use my computer to game other than that it is mostly surfing the web.

Parts Not Required:
I do not need a monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers. I think that is it as far as accessories go. I just need help with building the gaming rig and I can upgrade the other parts as I wish to do, as I already own them.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I have mainly been using Newegg.com to search for parts, but any other personal preferences will help to find the lowest costs.

United States

Parts Preferences:

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Case
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power Supply
I have no idea how much power my Gaming PC will need just by looking at the Parts I have.

Cooling
I definitely would not want my computer overheating every time I play, but I am still unaware of what i would need to maximize the cooling of my PC

Video Card
MSI N560GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Sound Card
I am uncertain when looking for sound cards. I am not a stickler for sound quality, but I do not want to be spending too much for a sound card that I am not using to it's full potential or not enough on a sound card that the quality is underwhelming.

Storage
I am looking for about 500GB to 1TB. I need the space, but looking into the future I may not find myself filling a WHOLE TB of storage. I am still uncertain on brands and prices when buying storage.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No. From what I understand, SLI/Crossfire means that I can use or eventually implement a second graphics card. I do not think I will be adding another graphics card.

Monitor Resolution:
I am not sure, at the moment I use 1280x980 and I am hoping to upgrade that. With more professional insight I am hoping that I can understand what resolution my Gaming PC will run best.

Additional Comments:
I left Power Supply, Cooling, Sound Card, and Storage Empty because since this is my first time I do not know enough information to make the correct choices and keep the costs low at the same time. I have left my recommendations under each category to help with finding choices suitable to my actions.

More about : 800 1000 gaming build

Best solution

August 22, 2012 1:15:58 AM

OK well your build looks pretty dang good, power supply well if you just pick up a tx650 that will do you very well and lots of power to spair for the future upgrades... cooling, is only needed for the cpu even if not overclocking i would just pick up a cooler master hyper 212 plus just to keep your cpu cool...

Sound cards these days are not really nessessarry, the onboard sound of the motherboard will certinly do...

Storage wise i would just pick up a 1 tb western digital caviar blue/black depends on how much money you have, If you can fit an ssd to put your os it will speed you load times up tramendously, so just pick up a 128/60 gb samsung 830 ssd so you can put your os and games on...

You are right crossfire/sli means combining more then one graphics cards... The normal gaming res these days is 1920x1080.

Have fun building and don't forget to pick a best answer at the end of this thread
August 22, 2012 1:18:40 AM

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate the help and insight.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 1:26:32 AM

As another thought, would i be buying BOTH an SSD and a HD or just one or the other. Also with my case would i have enough room to fit both if necessary?
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:31:52 AM

You would buy both, you would at first only plug in ssd to install os, then you install the other files/pics and anything that is not the os/games/applications on the hdd. Your case will have more then enough room :D 
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:45:31 AM

Another problem I am having while i am looking for storage devices is that the one you have recommended has a lot of "Dead on Arrival" or "Stopped working randomly" reviews on newegg. I am just cautious about buying because I do not want to be stuck with the same problems.
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:49:59 AM

? the samsung 830? it is one of the most reliable ones out their that or crucial m4. wester digital is also a very well know and trusted brand, I personally never trust reviews and others on this forums on sites like newegg because they are often biast or not true
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:56:33 AM

Ye the reviews for the Western Digital. I have not looked into the Samsung, but ill take your word on it.
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:57:54 AM

Ok dont' forget to pick a best answer and fell free to keep browsing around the toms forums and stay with the community :D 
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:08:07 AM

Best answer selected by Trambo18.
m
l
!