Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unknown Seasonic PSU

Last response: in Components
January 5, 2013 5:27:18 PM

I'm currently choosing a PSU for my media server (still no replies on PSU advice :D ) and I ended up with two Seasonic models (location: India, thus an Indian online store that I trust)

1) Seasonic S12II 430

2) Seasonic SS400BT

My problem here is: the second PSU is not listed on Seasonic website (same confusion in another thread). The whole series isn't (Flipkart also has 500W and 600W models of that). The only review I found is here and it's in Malay. Google Translate made it pretty understandable and it looks like it's good PSU but I have my doubts. Does anyone have this PSU? Is it genuine Seasonic or a fake? If genuine, how reliable is it? I really don't want it to die on me, I heard that Seasonic has horrible service in India, and if it messes up my motherboard, I can pretty much scrap the whole PC, board was imported from Germany (N/A around here).

So can I trust the cheaper model or should I forget saving money and just go for the well-known one?

More about : unknown seasonic psu

a c 282 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 6:23:36 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
I'm currently choosing a PSU for my media server (still no replies on PSU advice :D ) and I ended up with two Seasonic models (location: India, thus an Indian online store that I trust)

1) Seasonic S12II 430

2) Seasonic SS400BT

My problem here is: the second PSU is not listed on Seasonic website (same confusion in another thread). The whole series isn't (Flipkart also has 500W and 600W models of that). The only review I found is here and it's in Malay. Google Translate made it pretty understandable and it looks like it's good PSU but I have my doubts. Does anyone have this PSU? Is it genuine Seasonic or a fake? If genuine, how reliable is it? I really don't want it to die on me, I heard that Seasonic has horrible service in India, and if it messes up my motherboard, I can pretty much scrap the whole PC, board was imported from Germany (N/A around here).

So can I trust the cheaper model or should I forget saving money and just go for the well-known one?

Hi - The ss400bt is a Seasonic unit. It is a discontinued model, but that doesn't mean that
it's bad. Just the normal cycle of things, any change even if minor usually results
in a diff mdel #. It is 80+ bronze certified, so you get some efficiency with it.
90% of it's rated power is avail on the +12v rail which is good(cpu & gpu run off +12v)

I'd say it's safe to go with.

In fact all the ssxxxbt models have been discontinued, looks like they
have become ssxxxet or ssxxxes.
Score
January 5, 2013 6:31:51 PM

Thank you for your reply! However, if it's a discontinued unit, can I rely on its warranty and why can't I find more than a couple of mentions of it?
Score
Related resources
a c 282 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 6:37:44 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Thank you for your reply! However, if it's a discontinued unit, can I rely on its warranty and why can't I find more than a couple of mentions of it?

Hi - No reason why you'd have a warranty issue, but ask the Indian store you trust,
they should give you an honest answer.

As far as very few mentions of it, most likely due to the vast # of different
models that Seasonic has produced over the years. And some of
them were to be OEM units, i.e. for builders buying in bulk, so very little
retail ads on them.

Tom
Score
January 5, 2013 7:18:23 PM

I appreciate your replies, but I'm just curious - how do you know about this model at all if it's discontinued and there're no reviews/mentions?
Score

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 7:18:40 PM

The Seasonic SS-400BT is an OEM power supply that seems to be sold as the retail version Seasonic ECO Series 400W (SS-400BT) in some markets. They use to come with a 3 year warranty. Also OEM versions usually don't have sleeved output cables or fancy paint jobs (i.e. just plain grey).

http://www.seasonic.com/pdf/datasheet/NEW/Bulk/PC/ATX/S...
a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 7:29:50 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
I appreciate your replies, but I'm just curious - how do you know about this model at all if it's discontinued and there're no reviews/mentions?

Seasonic always removes the discontinued products from their product webpages.

I.e. Seasonic doesn't link to this web page any more:

http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_atx_1000330.jsp
Score
January 5, 2013 7:51:40 PM

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Do you think it could power my 560 Ti? 30A on a 12V rail but there's only one PCIe 6-pin and I'd have to use a Molex-to-6-pin convertor...
Score
a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 8:15:57 PM

On Flipkart.com's web site it says that the Seasonic SS400BT has 2 PCI-e 6 pin connectors.

http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-ss400bt-psu/p/itmdfbeq...

If you don't overclock then the Seasonic SS400BT should have no problem powering your system with a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card.
Score
January 5, 2013 8:39:32 PM

Huh, I gotta be blind or I must have confused this with Corsair CX430v2 which I was thinking to buy. Sorry, long day, mess in the head. Thank you very much for your help, guys, ordering this PSU now, fits ALL my requirements.
Score
January 5, 2013 8:39:56 PM

Best answer selected by amk-aka-Phantom.
Score
!