Dell Dimension e521 - AMD Athlon II CPU support?

Hello,

Can anybody tell me, if a Dell Dimension will support the AMD Athlon II X2 260 CPU? I ask on behalf of my father and as far as I remember he is currently running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU.

In advance, thank you!
14 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension e521 athlon support
  1. The motherboard/socket determines the CPUs that can be used. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ sits in a socket 939. The newer Athlon IIs require a socket AM2, AM3, or AM3+. So, I would have to say no.
  2. clutchc said:
    The motherboard/socket determines the CPUs that can be used. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ sits in a socket 939. The newer Athlon IIs require a socket AM2, AM3, or AM3+. So, I would have to say no.


    I will have to look into that. The Athlon 64 X2's were also manufactured for the the AM2 socket:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#Athlon_64_X2

    From what I've found about the Dimension e521, some of them were with the AM2 socket motherboard and, at least in theory, AM3 processors should be able to fit in and run on some AM2 boards:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2#Successors

    So it might be a matter of if the BIOS supports it and if my father's e521 has the AM2 version motherboard.
  3. I guess I never realized AMD made so many processors with the same designation (4200+) in so many different variations. Talk about Intel's confusing naming scheme! :pt1cable:

    So, you'll still have to determine the socket his board has as well as the CPUs it supports. And, yes, a BIOS update will be important. Do you have the chip to drop in the socket for a fit-test?
  4. clutchc said:
    Do you have the chip to drop in the socket for a fit-test?


    Yes I do. I used it in my own machine while waiting for the Bulldozer to be released. When the performance of the Bulldozer was somewhat disappointing, I opted for a Phenom II 1100T instead. So I have a Athlon II X2 260 lying around... And it would be a nice bump in my fathers PC if it is possible.
  5. kviksand81 said:
    Yes I do. I used in my own machine while waiting for the Bulldozer to be released. When the performance of the Bulldozer was somewhat disappointing, I opted for a Phenom II 1100T instead. So I have a Athlon II X2 260 lying around... And it would be a nice bump in my fathers PC if it is possible.

    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.
  6. clutchc said:
    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.


    True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

    I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!
  7. Update: CPU-Z reports an AM2 socket in my fathers Dell Dimension E521. Haven't done fit-test yet... I think what possibly limits this experiment in the end is the BIOS CPU microcode. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I plan to do a little research on that and maybe try to do a modification to the BIOS.
  8. Quote:
    why the urge to upgrade that PC? you could probably get snappier performance with the OS on a SSD drive


    Read the thread. It might somehow make sense... I might want to add about the BIOS stuff...: Just for the fun of it :D
  9. kviksand81 said:
    clutchc said:
    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.


    True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

    I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!


    Any chance you gave this a try and came up with an answer ?

    Let me know as I'm attempting the same thing but won't waste the effort if someone already has, thanks!
  10. Rideless said:
    kviksand81 said:
    clutchc said:
    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.


    True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

    I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!


    Any chance you gave this a try and came up with an answer ?

    Let me know as I'm attempting the same thing but won't waste the effort if someone already has, thanks!


    You missed this part:

    Quote:
    Update: CPU-Z reports an AM2 socket in my fathers Dell Dimension E521. Haven't done fit-test yet... I think what possibly limits this experiment in the end is the BIOS CPU microcode. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I plan to do a little research on that and maybe try to do a modification to the BIOS.

    If I remember correctly, I came to a conclusion that the BIOS microcode couldn't possibly support the CPU straight away and hence a BIOS modification would be required to light up even the faintest of hopes that it could be brought about to work. That it with all probability wouldn't support the CPU is due to the difference in time between the launch of AM2+ socket processors and the last BIOS update available to the E521 and the fact that it isn't an AM2+ socket. Then there is the process node problem: The DELL mobo only supported up to (or down to... depending on how you look at things...) 65 nm and the Athlon II X2 260 features the "Regor" core, which was build on a 45 nm process.

    - If you find my answer useful, please remember to credit me for "great answer" and stuff like that... Makes me look better on the forum and stuff...

    Best Regards,
  11. kviksand81 said:
    Rideless said:
    kviksand81 said:
    clutchc said:
    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.


    True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

    I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!


    Any chance you gave this a try and came up with an answer ?

    Let me know as I'm attempting the same thing but won't waste the effort if someone already has, thanks!


    You missed this part:

    Quote:
    Update: CPU-Z reports an AM2 socket in my fathers Dell Dimension E521. Haven't done fit-test yet... I think what possibly limits this experiment in the end is the BIOS CPU microcode. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I plan to do a little research on that and maybe try to do a modification to the BIOS.

    If I remember correctly, I came to a conclusion that the BIOS microcode couldn't possibly support the CPU straight away and hence a BIOS modification would be required to light up even the faintest of hopes that it could be brought about to work. That it with all probability wouldn't support the CPU is due to the difference in time between the launch of AM2+ socket processors and the last BIOS update available to the E521 and the fact that it isn't an AM2+ socket. Then there is the process node problem: The DELL mobo only supported up to (or down to... depending on how you look at things...) 65 nm and the Athlon II X2 260 features the "Regor" core, which was build on a 45 nm process.

    - If you find my answer useful, please remember to credit me for "great answer" and stuff like that... Makes me look better on the forum and stuff...

    Best Regards,



    I didn't miss that part, but I do thank you for the prompt response. I assumed the same but thought perhaps the microcode had been tucked away or it would default.

    For anyone out there wondering, I've tested an Athlon II X2 240 CPU and it DID NOT WORK in the C521 (same as E521) motherboard.

    Thank you kviksand81 again :)
  12. Rideless said:
    kviksand81 said:
    Rideless said:
    kviksand81 said:
    clutchc said:
    Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.


    True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

    I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!


    Any chance you gave this a try and came up with an answer ?

    Let me know as I'm attempting the same thing but won't waste the effort if someone already has, thanks!


    You missed this part:

    Quote:
    Update: CPU-Z reports an AM2 socket in my fathers Dell Dimension E521. Haven't done fit-test yet... I think what possibly limits this experiment in the end is the BIOS CPU microcode. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I plan to do a little research on that and maybe try to do a modification to the BIOS.

    If I remember correctly, I came to a conclusion that the BIOS microcode couldn't possibly support the CPU straight away and hence a BIOS modification would be required to light up even the faintest of hopes that it could be brought about to work. That it with all probability wouldn't support the CPU is due to the difference in time between the launch of AM2+ socket processors and the last BIOS update available to the E521 and the fact that it isn't an AM2+ socket. Then there is the process node problem: The DELL mobo only supported up to (or down to... depending on how you look at things...) 65 nm and the Athlon II X2 260 features the "Regor" core, which was build on a 45 nm process.

    - If you find my answer useful, please remember to credit me for "great answer" and stuff like that... Makes me look better on the forum and stuff...

    Best Regards,



    I didn't miss that part, but I do thank you for the prompt response. I assumed the same but thought perhaps the microcode had been tucked away or it would default.

    For anyone out there wondering, I've tested an Athlon II X2 240 CPU and it DID NOT WORK in the C521 (same as E521) motherboard.

    Thank you kviksand81 again :)


    You're most welcome.
  13. So old thread, since it was revived, I would add a few things for others to see

    This is maximum upgrade possible!!!!!! C521 is a slim version of E521, so upgrades are the same, I think.

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

    There are 3 versions of 6000+ processors.

    Option 1. 125 watt. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - ADX6000IAA6CZ (ADX6000CZBOX). This one is not for you, it runs too hot.

    Option 2. 89 watt. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - ADV6000IAA5DO (ADV6000DOBOX). This one has 3.1 GHz, but only 1 MB cache.

    Option 3. 89 watt. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - ADA6000IAA6CZ (ADA6000CZBOX). This one a bit slower than Option 2 at 3.0 GHz, very little difference, but has 2 MB cache, which is much better - clear winner from 3 options.

    RAM can be upgraded beyond Dell recommendations to 8 GB (if you have, or you planning to install 64 bit OS) and second, if you are willing to place 6000+ CPU you would have to downgrade your BIOS since latest BIOS for your system has limitation against CPU upgrades

    1.1.11 09/04/2007
    1.1.10 6/26/2007 3:23:22 PM
    1.1.4 1/1/2007 7:55:02 AM
    1.1.2 12/6/2006 10:43:30 AM
    1.0.3 10/6/2006 4:57:16 PM
    1.0.0 9/15/2006 2:23:56 PM

    This is the list of all BIOS versions for your C521, I cannot state which one exactly started to recognize 6000+, but most likely not the latest one v1.1.11.

    This is picture after BIOS 1.1.11 upgrade with AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+



    Mind that it was done sometime ago, so disregard video card numbers.

    I hope this info can help someone.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Support Dell Dimension