Sign in with
Your question

Dell Dimension e521 - AMD Athlon II CPU support?

Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2013 5:40:43 PM

Hello,

Can anybody tell me, if a Dell Dimension will support the AMD Athlon II X2 260 CPU? I ask on behalf of my father and as far as I remember he is currently running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU.

In advance, thank you!
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 167 À AMD
January 6, 2013 2:37:43 AM

The motherboard/socket determines the CPUs that can be used. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ sits in a socket 939. The newer Athlon IIs require a socket AM2, AM3, or AM3+. So, I would have to say no.
January 7, 2013 3:09:27 PM

clutchc said:
The motherboard/socket determines the CPUs that can be used. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ sits in a socket 939. The newer Athlon IIs require a socket AM2, AM3, or AM3+. So, I would have to say no.

I will have to look into that. The Athlon 64 X2's were also manufactured for the the AM2 socket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_micr...

From what I've found about the Dimension e521, some of them were with the AM2 socket motherboard and, at least in theory, AM3 processors should be able to fit in and run on some AM2 boards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2#Successors

So it might be a matter of if the BIOS supports it and if my father's e521 has the AM2 version motherboard.
Related resources
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 167 À AMD
January 7, 2013 5:29:09 PM

I guess I never realized AMD made so many processors with the same designation (4200+) in so many different variations. Talk about Intel's confusing naming scheme! :pt1cable: 

So, you'll still have to determine the socket his board has as well as the CPUs it supports. And, yes, a BIOS update will be important. Do you have the chip to drop in the socket for a fit-test?
January 7, 2013 6:13:01 PM

clutchc said:
Do you have the chip to drop in the socket for a fit-test?

Yes I do. I used in my own machine while waiting for the Bulldozer to be released. When the performance of the Bulldozer was somewhat disappointing, I opted for a Phenom II 1100T instead. So I have a Athlon II X2 260 lying around... And it would be a nice bump in my fathers PC if it is possible.
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 167 À AMD
January 7, 2013 7:15:33 PM

kviksand81 said:
Yes I do. I used in my own machine while waiting for the Bulldozer to be released. When the performance of the Bulldozer was somewhat disappointing, I opted for a Phenom II 1100T instead. So I have a Athlon II X2 260 lying around... And it would be a nice bump in my fathers PC if it is possible.

Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.
January 7, 2013 7:31:07 PM

clutchc said:
Then by dropping it in the socket, you can tell if it is or is not the 4200+ version that requires a 939 socket. That would be step 1. If it fits, we next would need to determine the make/model motherboard he has.

True. The motherboard is a Dell motherboard, which is notoriously difficult to obtain useful data about... So that will be guessing! Anyway it might be an idea to run CPU-Z on it and take a peek at what it spits out!

I'll try to remember posting my findings later on!
February 10, 2013 9:04:25 PM

Update: CPU-Z reports an AM2 socket in my fathers Dell Dimension E521. Haven't done fit-test yet... I think what possibly limits this experiment in the end is the BIOS CPU microcode. If it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I plan to do a little research on that and maybe try to do a modification to the BIOS.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 9:11:22 PM

i owned a DELL e521 way back when. the motherboard will not support an AM3+ chip and with the DELL Bios the best you can stick in there was the athlon X2 6000

why the urge to upgrade that PC? you could probably get snappier performance with the OS on a SSD drive
February 10, 2013 11:10:21 PM

Quote:
why the urge to upgrade that PC? you could probably get snappier performance with the OS on a SSD drive

Read the thread. It might somehow make sense... I might want to add about the BIOS stuff...: Just for the fun of it :D 
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 11:20:12 PM

AMD used the windsor CPUs in their e521. I installed both a x2 4200 and x2 6000 in mine. good luck in trying to modify the BIOS, i believe phoenix wrote it for DELL
!