problems with renaming My Documents folder

Hello,

I have a user's My Documents folder redirected to a share on our domain
controller. The name of this user's My Documents folder is username's
Documents. Whenever I try to change this to My Documents, it immediately
reverts back to username's Documents.

However, if I open a command window and say dir, I see My Documents which is
what I would expect. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks

Yes it's the Display name.

"George Zervakos" <GeorgeZervakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6C0572D-93B1-4378-8CCC-AA990D44F1AB@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a user's My Documents folder redirected to a share on our domain
> controller. The name of this user's My Documents folder is username's
> Documents. Whenever I try to change this to My Documents, it immediately
> reverts back to username's Documents.
>
> However, if I open a command window and say dir, I see My Documents which is
> what I would expect. Does anyone know what's going on here?
>
> Thanks

So what's the difference between the Display name and than actual name of the
folder? I guess I'm wondering why Explorer shows me username's Documents and
dir shows me My Documents.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Yes it's the Display name.

> "George Zervakos" <GeorgeZervakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6C0572D-93B1-4378-8CCC-AA990D44F1AB@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a user's My Documents folder redirected to a share on our domain
> > controller. The name of this user's My Documents folder is username's
> > Documents. Whenever I try to change this to My Documents, it immediately
> > reverts back to username's Documents.
> >
> > However, if I open a command window and say dir, I see My Documents which is
> > what I would expect. Does anyone know what's going on here?
> >
> > Thanks

It's folder name is my documents and it's display name is contexual. It will be either My Documents if you are logged in as that user and Name Documents if logged in as another user. Not much point having 5 users with 5 x My Documents. How can you tell one from the other.

"George Zervakos" <GeorgeZervakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:785D3159-B0E3-40B0-901B-8C381B14A2C0@microsoft.com...
> So what's the difference between the Display name and than actual name of the
> folder? I guess I'm wondering why Explorer shows me username's Documents and
> dir shows me My Documents.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Yes it's the Display name.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "George Zervakos" <GeorgeZervakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6C0572D-93B1-4378-8CCC-AA990D44F1AB@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a user's My Documents folder redirected to a share on our domain
>> > controller. The name of this user's My Documents folder is username's
>> > Documents. Whenever I try to change this to My Documents, it immediately
>> > reverts back to username's Documents.
>> >
>> > However, if I open a command window and say dir, I see My Documents which is
>> > what I would expect. Does anyone know what's going on here?
>> >
>> > Thanks

So why is that when I log in to my machine as my user, I see My Documents.
When this user logs in to his machine as his user, he sees username's
Documents? According to what you've said, this user should also see My
Documents, correct?

Another interesting thing to note is that if I log into my domain controller
as domain administrator and open the path to this user's redirected My
Documents folder, it's listed there as username's Documents. I have the same
redirection, and yet as domain administrator, along my user's path I see My
Documents.

I'm going to check a registry setting on his machine because I suspect that
maybe that's where the problem is.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:05:01 -0700, George Zervakos wrote:

> So why is that when I log in to my machine as my user, I see My Documents.
> When this user logs in to his machine as his user, he sees username's
> Documents? According to what you've said, this user should also see My
> Documents, correct?
>
> Another interesting thing to note is that if I log into my domain controller
> as domain administrator and open the path to this user's redirected My
> Documents folder, it's listed there as username's Documents. I have the same
> redirection, and yet as domain administrator, along my user's path I see My
> Documents.
>
> I'm going to check a registry setting on his machine because I suspect that
> maybe that's where the problem is.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> It's folder name is my documents and it's display name is contexual. It will be either My Documents if you are logged in as that user and Name Documents if logged in as another user. Not much point having 5 users with 5 x My Documents. How can you tell one from the other.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "George Zervakos" <GeorgeZervakos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:785D3159-B0E3-40B0-901B-8C381B14A2C0@microsoft.com...
>>> So what's the difference between the Display name and than actual name of the
>>> folder? I guess I'm wondering why Explorer shows me username's Documents and
>>> dir shows me My Documents.

George, some of the difference my be how and where they're viewing. If I
use My Computer, the first page shows "Sharon's Documents." However, when I
use Windows Explorer, I see "My Documents" only.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

That's correct. Everyone see their My Documents as My Documents. And see other's as whoever's Documents. The name comes from the desktop.ini file.