CPU for Compaq presario 2100

the gangster

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/55158-28-presario-2100-upgrade

I also want to upgrade a compaq as above. Could someone suggest a suitable CPU? Compaq presario 2100 2002 EA

It works but is really sloooow.

Alos my laptop is missing the letter i, the key is there but does not work. But sometimes it goes of itself and produces lots of i's as in iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii in the address bar or on a google search page. Why would this be, is it motherboard? i would like it to work again as it is of sentimental value to me.

is there a program/download I can get to check it to see why it is so sloow though I suspect the CPU

You really aren't going to be able to upgrade the CPU. OEM big box computers are pretty limited in what CPU's you can upgrade to and laptops are even more limited. Given everything you said I would just get a new laptop. Your laptop is old, slow and not worth the hassle to upgrade if it can be upgraded at all.

the gangster

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I have a new laptop i want to restore it for sentimental reasons. It would be worth the hassle if it can be done. if anyone knows what chip please post

Oddski

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
".... just get a new laptop." This throw away world is shocking!

gangster, I was playing with a 2100 laptop over the weekend, it too was incredibly sloowww. I suspect just doing a clean install of the operating system would speed it up no end, but, I also fancy upgrading it!

I'm certainly no expert, but a bit of research suggests replacing the Celeron with a Pentium 4-M, not to be confused with a Pentium 4 or Pentium M, as this would appear to be the ultimate compatible cpu choice. Changing the cpu is a bit of a strip down job though, as detailed in the service manual here - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

I tried a 1Gb ram module in one of the 2 slots, but it appeared to only see half of it, so I think 2 x 512mb is maybe the maximum ram it can take?

Upgrading the 4200rpm hard drive to something faster would probably help too.

Good luck!

the gangster

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Thanks for posting that. the reinstallation will not speed mine up, I have done it. I will have a look for that processor. I think you are right re the ram. I have 512 and 256