Your question

Better Informed Build Using Newegg

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 2:10:45 AM

I'd like to see what you guys think of this build I put together using parts from newegg, feel free to tell me if something will be incompatiable or if I'm missing something (still rather new) Aiming for a mid to high tier and this was just in my price range of $1400 - $1500

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Card: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660ti SLI
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm (my model of 660ti is seems to get the hottest/best performance)
Power: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650-M 650W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI
Blu-Ray Burner: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW

I have a question are video chipsets regularly included in any of these products? I'm not clear on that aspect of building a PC ^^

Final Price with display/speakers/external wireless/mouse+keyboard/rebates+promos/free borderlands two
$1418.00

More about : informed build newegg

August 22, 2012 2:26:49 AM

Change case to Cooler Master HAF XM (best "Non-LAN Party" Mid Tower on the market right now, true GOD TIER of "Mid Tower" segment).
Change EVGA 660Ti to MSi 660Ti "Power Edition".
Change CPU Cooler to Noctua NH-D14.
Change PSU to Corsair HX or AX (Since you're planning on SLI, I highly recommend getting AX 850W).
August 22, 2012 2:40:13 AM

The 7950 is $320 or $310, I forgot. But, the 7950 smokes the 660Ti on everything except BF3 where it loses by a few FPS. Change the RAM. 1866 is no better than 1600 in gaming. This 7950 with the promo code on the product page is about $320.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
August 22, 2012 3:33:51 AM

Thanks for the input changed out the RAM and the case for now, will probably upgrade the psu and cpu cooler when/if I get around to getting another card.
August 22, 2012 2:28:48 PM

Couple quick notes:

1. pcpartpicker, microcenter, and amazon are also good sites
2. microcenter has best CPU & mobo combo's if you have access to a store nearby - you have to go pick up at store for best rates
3. Corsair, Seasonic & PC Power and Cooling are good PSU brands
4. Video Chipset question? the 3570k has video, but for gaming you should use a GPU if that helps
5. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
above link is a gpu benchmark & cost data
6. Youtube 'newegg computer build parts 2&3' for your build. Nice step by step directions ...

Good Luck !
August 22, 2012 2:40:18 PM

master_chen said:
Change case to Cooler Master HAF XM (best "Non-LAN Party" Mid Tower on the market right now, true GOD TIER of "Mid Tower" segment).
Change EVGA 660Ti to MSi 660Ti "Power Edition".
Change CPU Cooler to Noctua NH-D14.
Change PSU to Corsair HX or AX (Since you're planning on SLI, I highly recommend getting AX 850W).

The Noctua and the Hyper 212 only have a difference of 1c-4c, and I am sorry but you cannot justify 1c as being worth $80. They will both get you the same overclock speeds.

obsama1 said:
The 7950 is $320 or $310, I forgot. But, the 7950 smokes the 660Ti on everything except BF3 where it loses by a few FPS. Change the RAM. 1866 is no better than 1600 in gaming. This 7950 with the promo code on the product page is about $320.

660 ti is the better way to go. The 660 ti and the 7950 trade blows atm, and Radeon is going to try and lower prices on their top end cards to try and counter the 660 ti. Alot of games work better with Nvidia, and imo are better than Radeon if you can afford it.

I agree get 1600-9-9-9 RAM. 1866 is pointless to spend extra money on speeds you probably wont get. I have the Rosewill Challenger, and it is a nice case, but with SLI your gonna need something bigger. You should look into investing in a full size case instead of a mid. There is nothing wrong with this case, but it is a mid size which means it can get crowded if you have alot, which I think you will. If not now then you will in the near future.

August 22, 2012 2:56:29 PM

odiervr said:
Couple quick notes:

1. pcpartpicker, microcenter, and amazon are also good sites
2. microcenter has best CPU & mobo combo's if you have access to a store nearby - you have to go pick up at store for best rates
3. Corsair, Seasonic & PC Power and Cooling are good PSU brands
4. Video Chipset question? the 3570k has video, but for gaming you should use a GPU if that helps
5. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
above link is a gpu benchmark & cost data
6. Youtube 'newegg computer build parts 2&3' for your build. Nice step by step directions ...

Good Luck !

I'm probably going to stick to just newegg to make the purchase easier and Iv'e watched the 3 part videos and many more (and will probably watch them step by step when building).

DarkOutlaw said:
The Noctua and the Hyper 212 only have a difference of 1c-4c, and I am sorry but you cannot justify 1c as being worth $80. They will both get you the same overclock speeds.

660 ti is the better way to go. The 660 ti and the 7950 trade blows atm, and Radeon is going to try and lower prices on their top end cards to try and counter the 660 ti. Alot of games work better with Nvidia, and imo are better than Radeon if you can afford it.

I agree get 1600-9-9-9 RAM. 1866 is pointless to spend extra money on speeds you probably wont get. I have the Rosewill Challenger, and it is a nice case, but with SLI your gonna need something bigger. You should look into investing in a full size case instead of a mid. There is nothing wrong with this case, but it is a mid size which means it can get crowded if you have alot, which I think you will. If not now then you will in the near future.

Yea I'm going to stick to the 660Ti and did move down to 1600 RAM also changed my mind to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for the case.

Still need an answer for what to do with wireless, just adapter or adapter and a wireless card for the mother board? (don't know how this aspect works :heink:  )
August 22, 2012 5:51:57 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
The Noctua and the Hyper 212 only have a difference of 1c-4c, and I am sorry but you cannot justify 1c as being worth $80.

Maybe try using thermal paste next time?
!