Your question

System runs for a short while...

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • System Builder
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 2:11:32 AM

Hi, Newbie on this site, but not a newbie system builder. Wondering if anyone can give me some insights....

I got given a Asus P4P800 E Deluxe Mobo based PC, and a Zalman Z9 Plus Case, and connected it all together, with some stuff from my last broken-down PC. The board is on the "risers", and everything - as far as I can see from following the instructions for the case, and the motherboard - is where it should be.

As soon as I plug the machine into the mains, it starts up for a second or so, with all the fans etc. running, then it stops. Pressing the power button after does nothing.

Every time I unplug it, the same thing happens - it starts for a second, and then stops... and ideas ?

More about : system runs short

August 22, 2012 2:32:44 AM

Whats your PSU? Make/model brand.
August 22, 2012 9:42:08 AM

Alpine switching Mode PSU, 550W.
Related resources
August 22, 2012 9:52:28 AM

Is the H/S and Fan clipped onto the CPU properly?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 10:17:23 AM

First thing, try another PSU.

Then work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.
August 22, 2012 10:28:03 AM

americanbrian said:
Is the H/S and Fan clipped onto the CPU properly?

It is, all where it was when it was taken out of the old machine - which worked !

I have cleared the CMOS memory, and also, there is a constant green light on the Mobo, so it is getting power.
August 22, 2012 11:05:29 AM

jsc said:
First thing, try another PSU.

Then work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

Have swapped to another PSU... exactly the same thing - i.e. second or so, then stopped, no response from the power button.

Thanks, will work through that list when I have time.
August 22, 2012 2:12:45 PM

did you re-apply the thermal paste or did you transplant it directly, possibly using the cooler as a hand grip and rattling about the old dry flaky TIM creating air holes that are now overheating the CPU?

August 23, 2012 8:46:31 AM

americanbrian said:
did you re-apply the thermal paste or did you transplant it directly, possibly using the cooler as a hand grip and rattling about the old dry flaky TIM creating air holes that are now overheating the CPU?

I installed the Motherboard as it was, without removing the CPU, straight from a working machine, to this new case.
September 2, 2012 8:52:00 PM

An Update -

I decided to return all the components to the original case, which worked. However, the initial reason why my sister stopped using it manifested itself during the installation of XP - i.e. that it was freezing.

Under the assumption that it was faulty memory, I started to remove memory sticks, but at some point - and ever since - all it will do is hang on the POST Screen. Attempting to get into the BIOS Set-up fails - It recognises the CPU, does the memory test okay, and even finds all the connected drives, but that is as far as it goes. I've reset the RTC a couple of times, tried different memory modules, even started it without any memory (Nothing happens, it just doesn't even post then).

As the board uses some fancy speech alternative to the POST Beeps, and it is switched off (and of course I can't change that option any more) there are no clues given there.

So I can rule out memory. I haven't tried switching PSUs, but that seems very unlikely to be the problem to me. Before stripping down, and starting again, or aiming for bread-boarding, or any other means of diagnosing the fault - short of getting case speaker to plug in - is it possible that a Windows installation, that has failed early on in the process could prevent it from reaching the BIOS Set-up Screen ? It is a long shot, as I did at least make several attempts to start the installation, and it should have happened before that... and of course, that shouldn't be a problem - as far as I know - as the BIOS Set-up shouldn't be dependent on the Contents of the drive...

... Unless of course it is a drive failure. Is it possible that a drive can be detected, and considered to be okay, yet still be dead ? I can test it by replacing in a USB Enclosure, and plugging it into my Netbook...

... Any other ideas before I start stripping it apart ? Or should I give up and bin the board ?
!