ivananonymous

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Hello, :hello:

I am really just curious if you are playing games and your fps is too high.. can that kill your gpu? Just like what happened in SC2 where it fried some gpus if you leave it at the main menu where the vertical sync isn't present. If yes, how do we know if the fps we are having is still safe for your gpu? :eek:

ivananonymous

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
So.. fps doesn't damage your gpu, thank you. Still if somebody can explain to me this site or is what he's saying just plain wrong?

http://www.dailytech.com/Hot+Starcraft+II+is+Frying+Graphics+Cards+Blizzard+Issues+Temporary+Fix/article19224.htm

"The problem appears to be located in the main menu, where an uncapped frame rate maxes out the GPU, in some cases pushing it to overheating and potentially permanent failure."

I take it now that it's just people OCng their gpu and running it more what it's supposed to? :pt1cable:

Any gaming GPU can run maxed out for many hours on end without issue. They're designed that way. However, there's no need to run them maxed out if doing so would result in frames being drawn but not rendered due to refresh rate limits. This is why most games put a soft cap on the frame rate which is the same as the display's refresh rate. Rendering more frames than the display can display is wasteful. Keep in mind that even though they may have the same value, they may not be synchronized. Vertical Sync synchronizes the refreshes timings which eliminates some visual anomalies and acts as a hard cap on the framerate by design.

What the post is referencing is non-gaming cards being used for gaming purposes. Unlike gaming cards these cards don't have elaborate cooling solutions and aren't designed to run full throttle for very long.