Working with Shuttle Barebones, Reused Parts, and New Parts

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
SOLVED. Thanks for the help folks!

[strike]Got a new problem! 9/4/2012[/strike]

Hey there! Looking for some advice and opinions about how stable and useful this particular build might be. It's my first ever build, so be gentle with me!

I'm looking into a SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System, along with a Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155, and MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card.

I'll be reusing a Toshiba MK2555GSXN 250GB drive (with Windows 7 installed), along with two Crucial DDR3 4GB cards.

I also want to look into using my laptop's old DVD drive, an LG Electronic HL-DT-STDVDRAM GT30N, with the build.

The Shuttle power calculator says that it'll be about 275 watts of 300 max.

I've got several questions:

1) Will this all work together?
2) Is this enough of a safe watt range?
[strike]3) Can the OS be transferred from my reused hard drive?[/strike]
4) Will the graphics card and processor be able to both run a modern game at 1680x1050 and record the stream?
[strike]5) Will my DVD drive work with this build? Will I need to buy an enclosure for my DVD drive? If so, what kind of enclosure?[/strike]

From reviews I've looked up, the i3 seems well praised for its value, the MSI N560GT is cool and powerful, and the Shuttle seems to perform well.

Thanks very much!

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

So I called Microsoft and Toshiba today. They said that the OEM licencing cannot be transferred to a new computer. Whelp, there goes another $100 or so. The rest of the questions are still up though, please help! =D

Here are Amazon links to the things I'll be looking at to get:

Intel i3 3.3 GHz

MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card

Shuttle SH67H3

The Support List for Shuffle SH67H3 says it supports the processor, graphic card, BUT does not mention the memory for Crucial. Should I be worried?

ok. if should all fit. as for win 7, you can call windows, state you are doing an upgrade and they will usually re-issue your activation code.

I'd suggest a newer PSU, just because of capacitor aging. Corsair CX 430W should be good and faily inexpensive.

the DVD will only work if it has a SATA connection

otherwise, everything looks good

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Capacitor aging? On a new sale model? Or just as I go along? Will the power supply you suggested fit in there? I think it's propitiatory.

How should I phrase that to Microsoft? What should I say if caught? xD

basically, the 275 out of 300W is tight enough that you might blow the PSU in 2-4 years just because the PSU ages. I think Shuttles take regular ATX PSUs. the CX 430 has a 3 year warranty, and should be ok for 4-6 years. Antec Earhwatts 380W has a 5 year warranty, and should be good at least that long.

as for windows: Load it. if you have a problem with activation, you can call microsoft ad tell them you upgraded your machine and need a new activation code As long as the old machine is no longer running, they'll issue a new activation code. you are using enough old parts to count as an upgrade

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Okay, I'm thinking about using method 1 in this guide (Sysprep.exe). Will that work okay?

I'll check into the dimensions and plugins for the PSUs, see if it'll work for me. Thanks! The build process is simply "check where it fits, check again where it fits, hook it up, check if its hooked up, check again if it's hooked up, cross fingers, power up," from here, right?

EDIT: Dimensions for the Shuttle PSU: 190 x 82 x 43 mm (Connectors Mainboard ATX 4 pin (12V) + 20 pin 1x FDD, 2x S-ATA, 3x Molex Cable length designed for the XPC)
Dimensions for the Corsair 430 PSU: 150 x 86 x 140 mm (ATX connector 1, EPS Connector 1, PCI-E connector 1, Four Pin Peripheral Connector 3, SATA Connector 4, Floppy Connector 2)

That doesn't sound like it'll fit. The other Shuttle PSU is the PC63J 500w, valued around $85-$120. Ick.

looking at the case itself, the PSU looks decent, but a 560 ti is a tight fit in your voltage space. the two 12v lines look like they can only handle max of 17-18W, not enough fora 560 ti (needs 24a for the whole system)

scale back a bit on the GPU (a 7770 will almost certainly work) or a different PSU will be needed, alternately, some other TFX power supply, like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151114

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

The Shuttle Spec page says the video card I've got selected is compatible. I don't know anything about the lines, clarify? Just check the specification pages for information. First time builder I am, I don't really know a lot of the technical stuff and would appreciate it being explained to me, thanks! Again, thanks for the help, you're really steering me here and I appreciate it.

The PSU, sadly, I think is damn near proprietary. Nothing seems to fit there nicely.

a GPU needs a certain amount of wattage to run successfully under load. A GTX 560 ti needs 24 amps to run and leave enough for other systems that use the 12v rail. The Seasonic 350s that I just posted have 26.5 amps on their 12v rails, enough for the 560. my estimate (given the second 5v, and the -12v, plus 80W for the 3.3 and 5v rails leaves 206.4W for the 2 12v rails, 206.4W/12v=17.2 amps

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Curious, where did you get these numbers? I don't see them on Shuttle's site. Also, where can I go to learn about the electric terms you used?

I was going by what's listed on the side of the shuttle.

Watts = Amps * Volts, so Amps = Watts / Volts.

on NEwegg's page for this barebone:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117

I went to the picture of the amps per rail. Its one of the open side pictures. you have to zoom in to read the numbers.

the actual numbers are:

12v1: 16amps, 12v2: 16amps, 5v: 15amps, 3.3v: 12amp, +5v sb: 2 amps, -12v: 0.3
amp

it says that the 5v + 3.3v, regardless is max of 80W. so -12v * 0.3 a= 3.6W, +5v sb * 2=10W. So 80 + 10 + 3.6= 93.6W that are NOT on the 12v rails. 300W-93.6= 206.4W remaining. 206.4W/12v = 17.2 amps.

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I'm getting the Shuttle SH67H3 for about $240.

Unless there's a better way I can spend about $600, while still being easy to build, quiet, stable, and powerful? Could someone recommend a build that has a cheaper case & motherboard that is compatible with the parts I listed above (really want to use those sets of parts or better if budget allows)?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As long as you don't overclock anything, this config (the original proposed one) should be fine. Also, Shuttles do not use ATX (regular size) PSUs. There are replacement PSUs from other vendors that will work (even from Seasonic).

Good luck!

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the input. What type of PSUs do work with the Shuttles? (I ask because I really have no idea)

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Okay. How would the setup work on a motherboard not originally used for modular PSUs, like the Shuttle here?

GWLucid

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Okay, thanks! Just hook up, cool.

Seasonic's dimensions: 6.9" x 3.3" x 2.5"
Shuttle's dimensions: 7.48" x 3.23" x 1.69"

So it'll likely be a little thicker, but at least newegg will take it back if it doesn't fit. Besides, I can measure it out when the case gets here.

What connectors will I be using if I grab this modular model (just checking my bases here)? Just want to make sure I don't hurt anything.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are going to buy the Seasonic and the original Shuttle you were considering, why not go with the Shuttle with the 500w PSU?

I suggest, if you stay with the original config, that you try out the Shuttle PSU before you add the Seasonic. I have found the Shuttle PSUs to be rather robust and capable. As long as you don't OC the system, the original one will meet your basic needs.