Mar 10, 2012
Completely new setup.

2nd gen intel i7 3930k
Asus Sabertooth x79
16gb ripjaws 1600 ram
Antec 620w
750gb/1tb seagate barricuda
Nvida 9800GT

Previous to the 9800GT I had a 6450. My rig before this had this exact same problem (but AMD than nvida) So I decided to switch GPUs. I still do get the messages. When I first started up my new computer for the first time it would freeze 5 times within a minute and then calm down for 5 minutes and repeat.

After tons of windows updates, the freezing has gone down a lot. It only has happened once for the past 2 hours. I still got a share of updates to do.

What exactly is causing this? Everything I have is basically brand new.

SIDENOTE:

Prior to the rig before my 3930k I had an HP i bought back in '08. I changed the PSU to a CM 500w and the GPU To a 6450 and the messages kept popping up.
Switched to my 2nd rig(my first custom built PC) with was an AMD A6 and same PSU and GPU. Same exact problem, just not as often.
Now, my 3rd, most powerful and final build I changed the PSU AND the GPU and I still occasionally get it.

Am I just unlucky?

Solution
I've had this problem before, and it was none of the things that were said above.

Back when I was running a PhenomII 965 with my 6950, I started to have this problem. I have no idea when it started. I had tried everything short of re-installing Windows, well I thought I did.

What did the trick? I tested my RAM and found a bad stick.

Moral of the story, it can be the things you do not expect it to be.

panwala95

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
this usually happens when you overclock your gpu too far without increasing voltage or
your gfx card is overheating
make sure that your card is running on stock settings
or if it is at stock settings manually ramp up the fan

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
I've never over clocked any of the GPU's. I've left them at stock settings. I focus my computer on mostly airflow, my current temp right now of my cpu is ranging from 32-37. My GPU's temp is currently 38.

It usually happens while I do nothing, so far while gaming i've encountered no issue.

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
If anyone cares, the messages completely seem to have disappeared.

Although alternatively, my computer actually just completely freezes. Even while just browsing through the internet.

Nothing is overclocked, and i'm using complete stock settings.

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Never really touched the motherboard.

As a side note: I upgraded from my 9800gt to the 6850 and right away i get the amd driver error.

What could be the issue?!

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I'm no expert by any means but, I've seen similar issues on my various systems (my own and others) this happens when a GPU is over clocked. Maybe try reducing the card speed just to see if it stabilizes?

I've had this problem before, and it was none of the things that were said above.

Back when I was running a PhenomII 965 with my 6950, I started to have this problem. I have no idea when it started. I had tried everything short of re-installing Windows, well I thought I did.

What did the trick? I tested my RAM and found a bad stick.

Moral of the story, it can be the things you do not expect it to be.

Solution

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
^ I've suspected that too. I think I figured out which one of my ram is causing it.

General questions, since this is my first real computer i made.

I have ripjaws x, how are they with RMAs?
And whats a good way to test my ram?

Only way I know how, is use one stick, do my normal thing, then keep adding sticks.

dnnk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012

Ram was in the wrong slots.

+ I upgraded to the 6850. Thank you for your suggestion.