Sign in with
Your question

First build ever: Questions asked, feedback needed

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 2:47:22 AM

Hello all. I'm new here so go easy on me :p 

I've decided to finally build myself a gaming PC! I've been doing research and looking at the forums, but there are so many opinions and benchmarks are all over the place it's just all very confusing for me....maybe you all can help?

First off:
Approximate Purchase Date: Later this week or next. I'm trying to rush myself for Guild Wars 2.
Budget Range: No more than $1,500 for my main parts. I will go a bit higher for a great monitor and gaming accessories
(I think i'm good on Windows)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, general school work using MS office.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: Just about everything
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Most likely Newegg for everything. Unless something is mentioned that is NOT on Newegg and i'll have to look elsewhere like Amazon, or Tigerdirect.
Parts Preferences: Just Intel really, for the processor. AMD or Nvidia is another story...i'll get to that.
Overclocking: Maybe, I really want to overclock my GPU for sure, but I have no idea how to do it for processors.
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but I doubt it. Depends on Monitor I suppose.
Your Monitor Resolution: I would like at least 1080P, but Monitors are an area I need help deciding in.

Additional Comments: I do prefer quieter parts. Power consumption doesn't really matter THAT much to me. I would also like parts that keep cool such as a great case and cooler for the GPU (but like I said, a quiet one) Hope I didn't make any contradicting statements :sarcastic: 
As far as games go, I am going to be playing Guild Wars 2, Witcher 2, maybe BF3, Borderlands 2, and whatever else comes down the road in the open world, RPG, MMO, and shooter-like category.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Well I just want the best gaming PC possible. I do want to play at max settings (for once in my life :kaola:  ) and I will plan to use full AA and AF and all the beautiful eye candy at 60 FPS I hope.

Now this is what I came up with so far. I wanted to use all the latest tech, or try too, but if i'm wasting my money please don't hesitate to let me know :D 
Case-COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Read about all the features and I like the look of it. I do actually prefer mid-tower, but will it be too cramped and make more heat than a full towered case?

Memory-CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Now, maybe a stupid reason but I like the look of it, and the swap-able LED light bar. Is it worth overclocking RAM? So those speeds help even a little bit in games? Also I hope it's low-profile enough to fit under the cooler i'll get too later...

CPU-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
So yeah this is probably a no brainer to most of us here. I plan to overclock it to 4 GHz+ when I learn how.

PSU-KINGWIN LZP-650 650W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
OR
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
is Kingwin a good brand? Platinum efficiency worth it? And i'm guessing by simply "modular" it's actually semi-modular? The Seasonic on the other hand is fully modular and cheaper. If you have other suggestions let me know!

HDD-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I heard this was a great, and reliable brand and I probably won't use more than 1TB.

SSD-SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
A great sized SSD at a great price with a great company. I should be able to stick a few great games on there. This should be great right? :D 

Motherboard-ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
I know i'm a mess at this point but I just can't choose. I know lots of features are important to me, because I might take advantage of them in the future, but sound quality is important and I looked at the sound chips shown for each. Sound (3 different features of sound) sound great in the Gigabyte board, but the rest of the features just sound like marketing dribble to me...
Other than that the Asrock and MSI are alot cheaper, priced the with the MSI possible supporting slightly better sound with THX Studio PRO. I'm not sure which features would be best for gaming.
Note: In my total price below I included the Asrock board!

GPU-GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP
Initially I wanted Nvidia because i'm just used to them and I heard about FXAA, TXAA, Boost, Adaptive V-sync, Physx (lesser extent) all these cool features. I wanted the ASUS 680 TOP but it's no longer available (as I can see)
To the point, this card is cheaper than the 680 and performs better since recent drivers. More memory and more memory bandwidth could prove more helpful during stressful AA and AF as well as future games. This is what I came up from my brief research but I hope your opinions come into play, I sure could use your help here.

CPU Cooler-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Figured this is the best cooler since everyone talks about it. It will do well when CPU is 4GHz or a little more? And is it even worth getting anything else? (Besides the huge "twin tower" ones)

Optical Drive-ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
And last but not least, the optical drive. I'm sure this will do just fine because I don't plan on watching any Blu-Ray material on my PC.
Total: $1,496 And lucky me there are some promo codes not applied to that price :) 

Now the Monitor is something i'm totally clueless on. I know this is an important investment for me. All I know is great response times (2ms or lower) are great for shooters and prevent ghosting. But IPS monitors have less but viewing angle is supurb and image quality and colors are superior.
Please help :( 
Budget will be about $200 but no more than 300 if it's great value. And again I want at least 1080P and no bigger than 27'
I have been thinking about 24' but if I get 27' I want to have that great 2500x1440 or w/e it is resolution! The thing is do they provide better image quality? I know at this point i'm sounding like a totol noob, but this is why I made this thread! Feed back and suggestions are most certainly welcome and I look foreward to replies.
Thank you all so much :D 
August 22, 2012 3:02:36 AM

You are seriously overspending for RAM. A good kit is $45-$50. Those high heatsinks will interfere with the cooler and come back to bite you in the butt. Overclocking will not get you any extra frames. Very few people do it nowadays. Get this XFX 750w from Amazon for $103 and w/ rebate, $78. It's also fully modular.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Edition-Bronze-Certif...

The Gigabyte is EATX which requires a really big case. Extreme 6, IMHO.

The 7970 has FXAA. TXAA is niche. Only one game uses it at the moment. Get this 7970. Sapphire Vapor-X. Runs very cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Hyper 212 is great. I'll find a good monitor, and BRB.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 3:08:28 AM

obsama1 said:
You are seriously overspending for RAM. A good kit is $45-$50. Those high heatsinks will interfere with the cooler and come back to bite you in the butt. Overclocking will not get you any extra frames. Very few people do it nowadays. Get this XFX 750w from Amazon for $103 and w/ rebate, $78. It's also fully modular.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Edition-Bronze-Certif...

The Gigabyte is EATX which requires a really big case. Extreme 6, IMHO.

The 7970 has FXAA. TXAA is niche. Only one game uses it at the moment. Get this 7970. Sapphire Vapor-X. Runs very cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Hyper 212 is great. I'll find a good monitor, and BRB.

Thanks for the quick reply! And since that case doesn't have a window I guess aesthetics on that RAM are worthless so I will take your advice :) 

And a couple questions about that video card: You think it would overclock better than the gigabyte? How does noise compare?
I pretty much just picked the gigabyte because of the higher factory OC.

Monitor and PSU is something I will keep in mind. Thanks!
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:16:37 AM

The card is already overclocked for you. 7970 GHz edition. But, you can go higher. Sapphire Vapor-X, so it runs cool, and will overclock well.
m
l
August 23, 2012 2:47:35 AM

That much I knew. I am still trying to decide on which GHz edition is quietest.
And is it worth getting, you think, even at 1080p? Speaking of that i'm still on the fence on the monitor. Are there any other monitors that can do better for a 300 max price point?

I kind of wanted to keep my Gold plus efficiency for PSU (and modular)...but is it still worth it? And is 650W enough?
Thanks guys.
m
l
!