Using multiple routers without significantly reducing network speed

ddtemplar

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello,

I recently got a new modem/router device from my ISP and its wifi is fairly weak (no external antennas) especially in my basement. Since wifi is no longer an option and I only have one ethernet connection to my basement I was thinking of using my old router to distribute the one ethernet connection to multiple devices. Connecting my one ethernet connection to the old router, and its port#1 to my PC in the basement works without any meddling, but the speed has taken a significant hit. Before the second router I was getting ~30-40Mbps from my ISP. With the second router it is reduced to ~10-20Mbps. Both routers I assume are capable of at least 100Mbps (probably even 1Gbps?). The older router is a Linksys WRT54G which can do 54Mbps wirelessly so I assume it can exceed 10-20 wired.

I tried giving the second router a static IP with DHCP off, but it did not seem to make a difference. I don't know if I set it up correctly, however. The modem/router uses 192.168.0.xxx while the second uses 192.168.1.xxx so I do not think there is any conflicts in the DHCP.

Any ideas on how I can fix this speed issue? Or am I setting up this wrong?

Thanks for your help :).

Solution
Use the Linksys as an Access Point

disconnect the linksys and only connect your pc

setup the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.253

reboot the Linksys and connect one of the LAN ports to the main router (do NOT use the WAN/Internet port)
Use the Linksys as an Access Point

disconnect the linksys and only connect your pc

setup the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.253

reboot the Linksys and connect one of the LAN ports to the main router (do NOT use the WAN/Internet port)

Solution