PC & Printer Setup advice

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 9, 2005 2:05:48 AM

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good website
that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?

I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
completely different print out!

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks
Sean

More about : printer setup advice

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 2:05:49 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:05:48 +0100, "fatboybrando"
<onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good website
>that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>
>I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
>completely different print out!
>
>Any advice would be welcome!
>
>Thanks
>Sean

nn
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 2:05:49 AM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:05:48 +0100, "fatboybrando"
<onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good website
>that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>
>I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
>completely different print out!
>
>Any advice would be welcome!
>
>Thanks
>Sean

nn
Related resources
September 9, 2005 2:05:49 AM

fatboybrando wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
> website that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>
> I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
> completely different print out!
>
> Any advice would be welcome!

Read "color confidence" by Tim Gray. Less than $10 used at amazon and is a
excellent book on the subject of color management, explains human color
perception etc. I looked at some web sites and none I saw were close to
what this book provides as far as easy to read/understand explainations.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

"fatboybrando" <onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
> website that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>
> I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
> completely different print out!
>
> Any advice would be welcome!
>
> Thanks
> Sean

Forgot to say I'm producing prints on an epson r300.
September 9, 2005 2:19:27 AM

> "fatboybrando" <onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote in message
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
>> website that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>>
>> I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
>> completely different print out!
>>
>> Any advice would be welcome!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sean
>>
> Forgot to say I'm producing prints on an epson r300.

Most people have this problem, and it has been discussed here lots and lots
of times. To get better matching, you need a color profile for your monitor
and a color profile for your printer. As you have found, the profiles that
come with the equipment may or may not match your equipment. Monaco and
Colorvision both produce the equipment and software that is needed for this
task. The equipment and software are not alas inexpensive.

Next you need to settle on a working profile. Both of the previous ones are
known as output profiles and usually are not suitable for working profile
use. My working profile is Adobe RGB.

When you are ready to print, for PS, you select the appropriate print
profile, disable color management in the printer driver, and set the data to
the printer.

As for websites ... Ian Lyon's is the one to use.
(www.digital-darkroom.com) (at least that is what I remember). Bruce Fraser
has written a very good book..
Jim
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:50:31 PM

"fatboybrando" <onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
> website that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>
> I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
> completely different print out!
>
> Any advice would be welcome!
>
> Thanks
> Sean

Thanks for the advice gents.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:51:03 AM

> "fatboybrando" <onlyme@dsl.remove.pipex.remove.com> wrote in message
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good
>> website that gives good advice on setting up your pc & printer?
>>
>> I have the problem of viewing the pics on my LCD and then having a
>> completely different print out!
>>
>> Any advice would be welcome!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sean