Machine now requires login

I'm running XP Professional, SP2. Ever since I installed the latest
security upgrade this past weekend, when you restart Windows or
sometimes when the screen saver is interrupted, it goes back to the
"Welcome" screen with the little icon, which I have to click to log in.

I have exactly *one* account, no password, and I'd like my computer
back the way it was, logging in automatically to the default user. How
do I do that?
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
bob at crispen dot org

They say you can kill a man, but you can’t kill an idea.
I say: Any man I want to? -- John Alejandro King

peter

Download "TweakUI" from Microsoft Powertoys. Amongst many tweaks that is
one of them.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb RAM
"Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen" <revbob@the.rectory> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Professional, SP2. Ever since I installed the latest
> security upgrade this past weekend, when you restart Windows or
> sometimes when the screen saver is interrupted, it goes back to the
> "Welcome" screen with the little icon, which I have to click to log in.
>
> I have exactly *one* account, no password, and I'd like my computer
> back the way it was, logging in automatically to the default user. How
> do I do that?
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
> bob at crispen dot org
> Ex Cathedra Weblog: http://blog.crispen.org/
>
> They say you can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.
> I say: Any man I want to? -- John Alejandro King

Hi,

1) Click on Start/Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

2) Uncheck 'Users must enter a passwords...'

3) Hit apply and supply the username and password for the account under which you want Windows to
log in everytime.

4) Ok your way out.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen" <revbob@the.rectory> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Professional, SP2. Ever since I installed the latest
> security upgrade this past weekend, when you restart Windows or
> sometimes when the screen saver is interrupted, it goes back to the
> "Welcome" screen with the little icon, which I have to click to log in.
>
> I have exactly *one* account, no password, and I'd like my computer
> back the way it was, logging in automatically to the default user. How
> do I do that?
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
> bob at crispen dot org
> Ex Cathedra Weblog: http://blog.crispen.org/
>
> They say you can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.
> I say: Any man I want to? -- John Alejandro King

The voices told me that "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> would
say on Wed 22 Jun 2005 09:11:35p:

> 1) Click on Start/Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
>
> 2) Uncheck 'Users must enter a passwords...'
>
> 3) Hit apply and supply the username and password for the account
> under which you want Windows to log in everytime.
>
> 4) Ok your way out.

Thanks, Arando. FYI, this caused Administrator to be the default
login. I was able to use TweakUI per Peter's suggestion to set it
back to the default I use.

Thanks again, folks.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
bob at crispen dot org
Ex Cathedra Weblog: http://blog.crispen.org/

They say you can kill a man, but you can’t kill an idea.
I say: Any man I want to? -- John Alejandro King

peter

I'm glad you sorted it out.

--
> The voices told me that "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> would
> say on Wed 22 Jun 2005 09:11:35p:
>
>> 1) Click on Start/Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
>>
>> 2) Uncheck 'Users must enter a passwords...'
>>
>> 3) Hit apply and supply the username and password for the account
>> under which you want Windows to log in everytime.
>>
>> 4) Ok your way out.
>
> Thanks, Arando. FYI, this caused Administrator to be the default
> login. I was able to use TweakUI per Peter's suggestion to set it
> back to the default I use.
>
> Thanks again, folks.
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
> bob at crispen dot org
> Ex Cathedra Weblog: http://blog.crispen.org/
>
> They say you can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.
> I say: Any man I want to? -- John Alejandro King

You could supply the username/password of any local user for that purpose. Glad to see your problem
is sorted.